SASS Wire Forum

What Do You Do With Unusable Guns?

Skid Roper

I have three in my collection that are not shootable, but two of them could be made to, and I'm not so sure the third one couldn't also.

1) WM Dugalle 10g SxS - loose fitting and broken hammer shaft on the right side lock.

2) Iver Johnson top break .38 S&W - found in the wall of a house under demolition in Butte a few decades back - loose fitting, missing the grips and all the springs (weird).

3) Colt 1849 - relic plowed up by my grandfather in a field east of Helena around 1941. Loading lever works, hammer is free, trigger is free, wedge is free and barrel separates from frame, but cylinder is frozen solid on the base pin. Still has five of its six chambers loaded with one completely intact cap on one nipple and remnants on a couple others.

The two handguns would look great in shadow boxes on the wall with some period items, and the shotgun would be perfect hanging over a fireplace.

Not a good idea! Don't encourage these idiotic programs. Take 'em to a gun show someone will give something for 'em!

They don't have those in Kentucky anymore (all guns taken in by police here have to be turned over to the state police and sold back to the public).

But, when they did have them, I once made $300 off of 3 old junk .25 autos that I got at a gun show for $10 each. Seemed like it did me more good than it did the anti-gunners. I took their money and they got nothing in return. I saw dealers there with brand new sub-$100 guns they were turning in for $100 each.

Those guns were only unuseable because I never bothered to fix them - I bought 7 and fixed and sold 4. I haven't seen many guns that could not be made fireable, just for the learning experience of fixing them, if nothing else.

Guest Grass Range #51406

If you think these "turn-in" groups will ever completely run out of money you are wrong. If you need money that bad smash the guns up and take them to a metal recycler. These groups that buy them depend on numbers turned in so they can brag to the media how good the program works. This is not in legitimate gun owners favor. If I have one come in my place I pay $25 and hang them on the wall.

Archived