SASS Wire Forum

Uberti 62 Police, 5 shot .36 cal. C&B

Lefty Dude, SASS # 51223

We got one running with Slix-shot cones and it seems to be a GO !

The piece is not mine, I just happen to be involved in the project.

One is up and functioning, the other is in the re-work mode.

They may be used for Winter Range this year.

One Slim-Jim Holster is made the other in production.

BTW; Slix-shot do not make nipples for this piece, but we can make them work.

GA; they would be a Gun Fighters dream, Pard.

I use a small frame Uberti 1862 .36 "police" model with fluted cylinder in local matches...

Barrel on mine(5 1/2 inches)is "too long" to be really "legal" for a "pocket pistol", but they allow me to use the 5 shooter in Pocket pistol scenarios in our local group anyway.

Fine little gun. Loaded right, it "barks" right along with my .36 Navies....Totally reliable.

So it's acceptable to load 5 and holster it with the hammer on the halfway notch (or whatever you call it)?

Yes, as long as there is a notch or pin to positively locate the hammer between chambers and hammer is fully down.

On the other hand, if

you mean on half-cock, NO!

These little guns feel very fragile in my hands, even more so than the '49s (weird?), from which they evolved. This is just a perception on my part and does not mean that they will not work. I recently owned a pair but never fired either one of them and have just sold them in the last few months. They were my favorite guns to look at but I would not try to run them to hard or fast. If they had made the .31s legal for Frontiersman I would shoot with my '49s on occasion.

Yes, as long as there is a notch or pin to positively locate the hammer between chambers and hammer is fully down.

On the other hand, if

you mean on half-cock, NO!

Thanks, and yes, I meant halfway between the cylinders, not halfcock. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We got one running with Slix-shot cones and it seems to be a GO !

The piece is not mine, I just happen to be involved in the project.

One is up and functioning, the other is in the re-work mode.

They may be used for Winter Range this year.

One Slim-Jim Holster is made the other in production.

BTW; Slix-shot do not make nipples for this piece, but we can make them work.

GA; they would be a Gun Fighters dream, Pard.

What exactly did you to to make the Slix nipples work in the Uberti 1862? I tried them just to see what would happen and they stopped against the frame.

You must do a nipple modification.

BTW; We shot them again today, they are now "Match ready". We ran them as fast as possible, all spent caps stayed on the nipples. No cap jams in the action.

The Nipples are only part of the work involved for the piece to operate with out issues.

They may be used at Winter Range, Not by me.

We will be doing another pair soon.

They are legal. I am not built for speed. It's my big belly gun.

I shoot it right hand cross draw. I use a 1858 Uberti .36 caliber for its mate gun strong side.

Loading the 1862 with more than 15 grains and you got a tiger by the tail. Fun and strikingly beautiful weapon.

Thomas "Crayfish" Craven

SOOoo, you must do a nipple modification and that is part of a complete package? Any idea when details or products will be available?

This is a DIY project, buy the product and have fun making it work. The pair we are working on were bought at DGW. They were on sale last Month.

Archived