SASS Wire Forum

Shooting with gloves

Black Angus McPherson

I've noticed on a few westerns that folks, mostly cavalry, often are wearing gloves while shooting. Was that actually a common practice.

In my experience, a gloved finger does not fit well inside a standard revolver trigger guard and makes trigger control very difficult. I can envision regular accidental discharges as a result.

Does anybody in here regularly shoot while wearing gloves?

Note: I am not talking about "shooting gloves" or recoil reducing gloves.

Thanks,

Angus

The only cowboy shooter I have seen shooting with gloves was a "full charge" black powder Shooter.

The gloves went up the wrist and had fringe hanging down at the wrist.

The Shooter told me he wore the gloves because his guns got very hot. He was not real fast but had a lot of fun - like most of us.

You will find that a lot of 1860 Henry shooters wear at least 1 glove.

You will find many black powder shooters wear at least 1 glove. The second choice here is a shotgun barrel sleeve.

I wouldn't say I regularly wear gloves. However, I have shot several matches when it was a bit cool while wearing very thin leather gloves. I shoot gunfighter and use a pair of Ruger Vaquero Bisleys slicked up by Longhunter. I had no problems with trigger control.

I got the gloves I use at leatherglovesonline.com. They are the Tough Gloves Ultra Thin Patrol Cabretta unlined leather gloves. They have no padding and no velcro. I got them snug ,wet them down, and wore them dry to get them to fit like a second skin.

They really helped keep my fingers working well during colder weather. I have shot both a '97 and a hammered double with these gloves on, and with a little practice, everything ran great.

One of the clubs I shoot at holds matches during the winter. Tried shooting with a pair of soft deerskin gauntlets but couldn't manage it. Still love and wear the gauntlets but have to take them off while shooting.

Driftwood Johnson might chime in. He wears a glove on one hand maybe two because he shoots BP in a 1860 Henry. He's mentioned the glove a couple of times, maybe he has a preferred vendor or type of glove to use.

Not for CAS but when I was on Police Bicycle Patrol we regularly shot with our padded finger/palm riding gloves since you weren't going to have time to take them off. That was with my 1911. Tac reloads, normal mag changes, malfunction drills etc, all the same manipulations we did for normal "barehanded" gunfighting.

Archived