SASS Wire Forum

1851 Colt Navy question

Black Angus McPherson

Another thread got me to wondering:

Is the Square back trigger guard on the 1851 Navy smaller than the round trigger guard on the 1851 Navy?

I have a square back version and it seems my finger rubs on both the top and bottom of the guard when firing. Is the one I have unusually narrow?

I'd like to have a matching revolver, but not if they all have narrow trigger guards.

Thanks,

Angus

It depends on who made it & when:

Original production, Colt 1851 Navies were built with a small & a large round trigger guards in addition to the squareback type.

Early Colt 2nd Generation 1851 Navy (square-back) was smaller than later Colt Signature Series (Uberti) square & round..( measurement, Square-back , top to bottom = .725)

Later Colt Signature Series (Uberti) measure the same, top to bottom of trigger-guard hole. (Square-back .850 vs, Round .860)

Uberti Steel round 1861, top to bottom = .920

Added info/clarification.

All measurements taken with dial indicator inside the trigger guard opening, at approx rear 1/3, where trigger would be.

Speaking of Ubertis' only, I have sets with both the squareback and round triggerguards. The squarebacks definately crowd my grip a bit more, but just a little. I have medium size hands so I can get away with either.Here are the dimensions on all three variations Uberti offers, taken from the back of the triggerguard(where it is even with lower tip of the trigger) to horizonally opposite where your middle finger would be when gripping the gun:

!. squareback, brass--1.88"

2.oval, brass--2.40"

3. oval, steel London--2.40'

These dimensions were a little hard to take with a dial caliper because of the curvature of the backstrap, but it does at least demonstrate that the squarebacks have a bit less room for those with larger hands. But that darn squareback looks good!! Hope this helps

PS--the Uberti Dragoons with the squareback triggerguards(1st & 2nd models) have more room for your grip

I'd li ke to have a matching revolver, but not if they all have narrow trigger guards

Black Angus, you must have fingers larger than the Jolly Green Giant!

Have NEVER heard this concern in all my years of shooting

It certainly doesn't take too fat a finger to fill the square trigger guard:

DSCN0681.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

I guess I'll have to take a look at some Dragoon's with the square back trigger guard. Something about a "Dragoon" that sounds cool and exotic, too. Find out how they feel in my hand. Anybody use Dragoon's as their main match pistols? Thoughts? Too heavy? Then there's having to find holsters for them...

But, darn, that silver square back Navy I've got looks so good.

Angus

Archived