SASS Wire Forum

44-40 advice

Hoss

Just bought a Uberti 1860 Henry rifle in 44-40. If you have some load data, PM it to me. I'm going to shoot some BP and/or subs, but also want smokeless loads, probably Bullseye or Unique. I've heard different opinions on bullet diameter, would be curious to know what others fins work the best.

I've heard different opinions on bullet diameter, would be curious to know what others fins work the best.

Those are not different opinions, they are usually conclusions that pards have come to based upon how their guns are chambered and bored, so as to get the best function they can with the best accuracy they can achieve, and not have to load a special round for each of their guns.

In general, shoot the largest diameter slug you can through a .44-40, one that chambers well in the gun when loaded into the thickest-walled brass that you will use, and yet the bullet is not way oversized for the bore.

So:

measure groove diameter in the barrel

add 0.001"

that could be your starting bullet diameter

check your brass for the thickest wall - Starline (and most othre brands) will be thicker than Winchester

load a few dummy rounds with the starting bullet diameter and check that they chamber freely in your gun(s)

If any failures to chamber, drop one or two thousandths off the bullet diameter, and repeat.

When you find a bullet diameter that is as large as possible without failing to chamber or be dangerous due to barrel diameter, load 20 or so and test fire for accuracy at 25 yards. When the group size is satisfactory, quit.

Otherwise, repeat with a different powder, different powder weight, different bullet manufacturer, etc.

THERE IS MORE VARIABILITY IN THE BORING AND CHAMBERING OF .44-40 FIREARMS THAN ANY OTHER CARTRIDGE IN THE COWBOY FIREARMS WORLD.

Folks with "strongly held opinions" often have reached conclusions based on work they have done and problems they have had. Sometimes this loading stuff is more a science than it is a "popularity contest of opinions."

Good luck, GJ

Thanks GJ, thats the type of info I've heard. Conclusions probably a better word than opinion! I'm really looking forward to experimenting with loads and shooting this rifle.

I'd almost argue a case for the 38-55.

I'd almost argue that 38-55 is a general concept, not a chambering. :lol:

Anything that the factory or gunsmith had on hand has been used for a barrel on 38-55's over the years.

Oh, wait, that could be said for .44 WCF also!

Yep, they are both winners in the "least standardized cartridge gun" category.

Good luck, GJ

I had to go to .428 to get reliable feeding and chambering in my 1866 Uberti.

I'd almost argue that 38-55 is a general concept, not a chambering. :lol:

I own 38-55 rifles by Marlin, Maynard, Marlin-Ballard, Browning (Miroku) and H&R and just burst out laughing! I think bore size is also a general concept in that caliber.

Archived