SASS Wire Forum

chili

evil dogooder

I use small cubes of beef, about the size of my thumbnail. I do not and will not put beans in my chili, although I am not critical of those who do these days. I will on occasion put black beans as a side, and always with flour tortillas. There was a time when I was a bit of a snob about it, then I read a quote from Carroll Shelby to the effect that chili is a state of mind, and it is what you want and what you have on hand. I will sometimes order chili at a restaurant, knowing it will have beans. I suppose I am just more zen about it. Oh, a good quality lager instead of water during the cooking seems to help, in my opinion. In the chili, that is.

That set my mouth to watering.

Most Mexican food does that to me. :D

Its at Kimbal. The Granite City Gunslingers

Further north than I was thinking. How far time wise is it from CVV?

If your coming up on 35, about an hour and 45 minutes. But the chili contest is worth it!. Last year we had more chili types to try than we had shooters lol some come just to bring chili and socialize

Made a few little sample batches. Just for giggles i made a third with pepperjack burger. Hmmm turned out better than i expected. Decisions, decisions

And It's señor, with handmade warm tortillas is an excellent stew to fight the winter season... :wub:

Not only show the recipe, show also the video of the recipe; I guarrantee that the spanish accent of the mexican chef; but I have to make some suggestions and corrections; beside carrots, potatoes and green beans, you must add some cubes of chayote squash and zucchini for the stew and if you are lucky to find Xoconostle (spell it like Xoco = Choco like chocolate, Nostle with the last e as the hard pronuced like the e of fire) a bitter variety of tuna fruit of the nopal cactus, that give a lot of flavor to the stew; otherwise acompañalo with warm handmade tortillas; Feliz Año Compadre. ;)

Maybe you reffer to the Mole Poblano Sauce, It's a good substitude, but nothing as the original Mole Poblano, a very hard recipe that only the grandmas of Puebla know very well and between them has some argues about some ingredients or the best meat; but the best for me is the Turkey meat; maybe I can try to translate a recipe of this mole, but my best advice is to travel to Puebla Mexico and try it before dissapear; because less chefs and cookers know less how to made it as the old style.mole-poblano-011.jpg

And yes, the Pancita or Menudo Stew, a more traditional north recipe but also popular in my city; for a hard hangover of a mezcal and pulque night, one of the best recipes to cure it._DSC9503.JPG?1332619507

Saludos Compadres and my only advice I can give you, Try to find authentic mexican food and stews; has a lot of taste that many cowboys try in the old west era and doesn't have changes since its creation, somle like true Mole Poblano exist since XVII century :blink:

OF COURSE, all us cowboys want you to translate the recipe for Mole Poblano sauce! Hopefully it is not difficult.

Small diced up is what I like the best.

Not big chunks like in a stew.

But pretty small. And cooked in the chili a long time.

P.S. And don't put no stupid beans in it.

Two rules in World Chili Comp.

Red meat

No beans

+10 AL!!!

Archived