SASS Wire Forum

chili

evil dogooder

So on the 31st or club is having one of out specialty shoots. Best chili and chaps contests to.go along with the shooting.

I'm bringing one of my venison chili's but i have a simple question. Would you rather the meat be ground up like hamburger, or in chunks?

Thanks

Kind of depends. If your chili is kind of thick like a stew, then chunks. If it is more thin like a soup then ground. Just my personal preference. I reckon you'll get a lot of different answers. One thing for sure, I'm not going to turn down a bowl of good chili regardless.

Until recently I had always made it with burger. Last couple of years I've done it with chunks - 1/2 to 1 inch cubes.

I like the chunks better. The burger seems to soak up the flavor of the liquid, so you have chili-flavored meat, while the chunks retains its own flavor better.

Small pieces; not ground, but only if the meat has been simmered in the chili for a long time, so it is not tough and chewy. If it is a "quicker" chili, I prefer ground meat. Also I don't care for chili s thick that the spoon virtually stands up in it. Sorry for being so picky, but since I won't be there, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. :-)

I much prefer small cubes for chili.

Depends what part of the deer you're planning on putting in the chili, and how long you intend to cook it.

Generally, I like the meat tender. But, if you cook venison fast (except, perhaps, for the tenderloin, which you won't be using in chili), it's going to get tough. It would then take hours and hours of cooking to break down the fibers to the point that it would be tender.

So, if you're making it like a long-cooked stew, give me small chunks. If you're going for a cook time of 2 hours or less, or are making it like a soup, grind it up.

A very coarse grind, or small dice.

Locally butchers call coarse ground meat "chile meat." I have a bull elk in the freezer mostly ground into chile meat. It works well for my cooking. Given the toughness of the beast it takes hours in a crock pot for this chile meat to become tender. This is my favorite.

I made a really good batch a couple of years ago where all of the meats, (I use beef, pork, and game meats like elk or venison) were sliced like real thick bacon! Then the strips were cut into 1/2" to 3/4" pieces!! It came out really tender and the meats were still flavorful in their own way. This works well with soup or stew thicknesses! I sometimes make it with ground country sausage as well!!

Backstrap or loin depending on where your from. I had a fruitful year hunting so i have an abundance of it. The rest went into sausage and hamberger

Small diced up is what I like the best.

Not big chunks like in a stew.

But pretty small. And cooked in the chili a long time.

P.S. And don't put no stupid beans in it.

Two rules in World Chili Comp.

Red meat

No beans

Red horse, if you lived a little closet i just might, but can't figure out how to keep it warm without the mailman eating it all.

1/4 to 1/2" diced pieces. Cooked long enough, you barely have to chew em.

Small diced up is what I like the best.

Not big chunks like in a stew.

But pretty small. And cooked in the chili a long time.

P.S. And don't put no stupid beans in it.

Two rules in World Chili Comp.

Red meat

No beans

Dang right!

The preference for beans dpends on what part of the country you're from,I think. when I make mine here, I use red beans and pintos, and ground beef. The girls here prefer it on the mild side, and that's how I do it..... :blush:

Actually, if you put beans in chili it becomes a stew.

I never tried the Chili because in Mexico is hard to find texan cuisine restaurant, but someday maybe I prepare one in my home; but as the rico Mole de Olla If the Chilli are a kind of stew, I prefer Chunks of Chamberete or Shank and cook it with a low fire for a long time that mixed the meat flavor with the spices of the chilli as the old mexican style; I left a photo of a Mole de Olla for all the American Compadres that don't know it.

maxresdefault.jpg

So on the 31st or club is having one of out specialty shoots. Best chili and chaps contests to.go along with the shooting.

I'm bringing one of my venison chili's but i have a simple question. Would you rather the meat be ground up like hamburger, or in chunks?

Thanks

So . . . my weird mind is at work . . . do you have to wear chaps when you are making the chili ? Or only when you eat it ? . . . . To win the contest . . . do you have to have both the best chili and the best chaps ? . . . . .

How is the weather up north ? . . . . chili here at night . . . . a little snow on the 1st . . . but was then working in my shirt sleeves later in the day. In my shirt sleeves mid day yesterday too as it is most days here.

I never tried the Chili because in Mexico is hard to find texan cuisine restaurant, but someday maybe I prepare one in my home; but as the rico Mole de Olla If the Chilli are a kind of stew, I prefer Chunks of Chamberete or Shank and cook it with a low fire for a long time that mixed the meat flavor with the spices of the chilli as the old mexican style; I left a photo of a Mole de Olla for all the American Compadres that don't know it.

maxresdefault.jpg

That looks really YUMMY . . . . :)

Howdy,

Pleeze tell your wife to ezpect company, pard.

Best

CR

ps-I have books of chili recipes and you would never mistake one for the other.

Even when it comes to beans, there are a bunch of different beans to go in.

Variety, pards.

So . . . my weird mind is at work . . . do you have to wear chaps when you are making the chili ? Or only when you eat it ? . . . . To win the contest . . . do you have to have both the best chili and the best chaps ? . . . . .

How is the weather up north ? . . . . chili here at night . . . . a little snow on the 1st . . . but was then working in my shirt sleeves later in the day. In my shirt sleeves mid day yesterday too as it is most days here.

Its a three part contest. Top three chili's, top three chaps/chinks and regular I shoot.

You get points for every clean stage, points for winning your category, points for just wearing chaps and points for bringing chili. The most points combined get the overall match winner. And gets a car.

mole is muy bueno. I mostly like it with chicken and pinto beans....the sauce not the soup. I make it from the commercial little jars, but put in about 1/2 or more (to taste) of one of those little chunks of mexican chocolate....the granulated sugar, cinnamon flavored stuff. also like it with beef heart simmered for an extended period.

But, chili? Chili colorado, pretty spicy is my favorite.

USA chili can be very good, and i like it with or without beans; but has to be simmered for a long time to make the meat tender. Plenty of tortillas (either type), with a little bowl of extra chilis on the side.

Another variety if you want to call it that, is menudo. breakfast of champions on the west texas border.

I use small cubes of beef, about the size of my thumbnail. I do not and will not put beans in my chili, although I am not critical of those who do these days. I will on occasion put black beans as a side, and always with flour tortillas. There was a time when I was a bit of a snob about it, then I read a quote from Carroll Shelby to the effect that chili is a state of mind, and it is what you want and what you have on hand. I will sometimes order chili at a restaurant, knowing it will have beans. I suppose I am just more zen about it. Oh, a good quality lager instead of water during the cooking seems to help, in my opinion. In the chili, that is.

maxresdefault.jpg

That set my mouth to watering.

Had a friend that started his chili with a chuck roast. Roasted it tender, shredded it and then started with the outside ingredients and yes, always beans.

That looks really YUMMY . . . . :)

And It's señor, with handmade warm tortillas is an excellent stew to fight the winter season... :wub:

Dixie Mexican Wolf,

I'm going to show that photo to my wife! That meal looks wonderful.

Feliz ano Nuevo, amigo.

Not only show the recipe, show also the video of the recipe; I guarrantee that the spanish accent of the mexican chef; but I have to make some suggestions and corrections; beside carrots, potatoes and green beans, you must add some cubes of chayote squash and zucchini for the stew and if you are lucky to find Xoconostle (spell it like Xoco = Choco like chocolate, Nostle with the last e as the hard pronuced like the e of fire) a bitter variety of tuna fruit of the nopal cactus, that give a lot of flavor to the stew; otherwise acompañalo with warm handmade tortillas; Feliz Año Compadre. ;)

mole is muy bueno. I mostly like it with chicken and pinto beans....the sauce not the soup. I make it from the commercial little jars, but put in about 1/2 or more (to taste) of one of those little chunks of mexican chocolate....the granulated sugar, cinnamon flavored stuff. also like it with beef heart simmered for an extended period.

But, chili? Chili colorado, pretty spicy is my favorite.

USA chili can be very good, and i like it with or without beans; but has to be simmered for a long time to make the meat tender. Plenty of tortillas (either type), with a little bowl of extra chilis on the side.

Another variety if you want to call it that, is menudo. breakfast of champions on the west texas border.

Maybe you reffer to the Mole Poblano Sauce, It's a good substitude, but nothing as the original Mole Poblano, a very hard recipe that only the grandmas of Puebla know very well and between them has some argues about some ingredients or the best meat; but the best for me is the Turkey meat; maybe I can try to translate a recipe of this mole, but my best advice is to travel to Puebla Mexico and try it before dissapear; because less chefs and cookers know less how to made it as the old style.

mole-poblano-011.jpg

And yes, the Pancita or Menudo Stew, a more traditional north recipe but also popular in my city; for a hard hangover of a mezcal and pulque night, one of the best recipes to cure it.

_DSC9503.JPG?1332619507

Saludos Compadres and my only advice I can give you, Try to find authentic mexican food and stews; has a lot of taste that many cowboys try in the old west era and doesn't have changes since its creation, somle like true Mole Poblano exist since XVII century :blink:

Archived