SASS Wire Forum

SASS HAS BIGGER FISH TO FRY

Judge Gardner

Arguing with and insulting each other isn't going to help bring in new and younger members. It doesn't look good to prospective new members.

As far as cost of this sport goes, it does cost money to play cowboy. There are ways to keep the expense down, buying used, or borrowing ( which is a good idea, till you find what you like to shoot). I myself don't find it that expensive, compared to many other activities.

I do my best to talk up the sport, talking down to fellow members does not make it that inviting to be a part of.

:)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to comment on the portion of these post as far as the difficulties of getting people into CAS.

Unfortunately entry into our sport is a little bit more challenging than others. Acquiring a set of golf clubs, camping/hiking equipment or other type of hobby/sports related equipment is much easier than buying multible guns let alone leather and other needed accessories. CAS is certainly difficult to initially learn about If you don't know someone in the sport. Yes some activities cost less and some cost more, but with that being said, people are willing to take a chance on activities that propose less challenges. For a lot of folks, accessibility to a venue to shoot CAS is limiting. I read on the forum about some of you driving hours to shoot CAS. Now for the dreaded statement of truth, a lot of folks are either afraid of firearms or against them. Although I live in the great state of Texas, Austin has a large anti gun mentality. I see it daily in and around the area I live. Lack of firearm education and closed minded mentalities can be several reasons to blame for the anti/scared of guns thinking. For whatever reason it is a big hurdle

Look at all or some of the challenges to enter the sport and to me it's not surprising that we have challenges bringing in new shooters. There are several other challenges I could list.

This is a great sport/hobby with great people involved. I'm glad I found CAS. I like most of you will do my best to introduce the sport to others.

snip

What I worry about is what does SASS do when manufacturers stop making some of these guns? If Uberti goes out of business, there's a lot of guns that can't be bought anymore.

While this is of some concern on a long term basis, the shooting sports continue to provide a significant customer base and unlike what you see in many sports there are lots of different aspects. It is tough for a manufacturer who makes golf clubs to start making mountain bikes or outboard motors. But a firearms manufacturer who is already making revolvers and pistols can shift production from one type of product to the other relatively quickly, and back again as demand comes and goes. Gun purchases in general have remained a strong market so with the perennial exception of Colt, the manufacturers of the guns we care most about are quite healthy.

I see the potential for CAS as a healthy and growing segment of the shooting sports. Three gun is quite popular right now and I can tell you that over time a fair number of those folks will find their way to CAS. As a group CAS shooters are excellent ambassadors for the sport and are helpful to folks looking to get into CAS or who just want to see what it is about.

The cost thing is BS.

Hobby's cost money period.

I got more in one horse than all the wife's and my guns put together.

Ever buy horse feed, vet bills, hay. And a good saddle alone will cost as much as a full set

of SASS guns. Then add in the rest of you tack.

Heck we have not even got to the horse trailer yet. WOW. SASS is CHEAP compared to this.

Want a motorcycle? Go price some of those. SASS guns won't even get you a good used one.

Then you got insurance and repairs.

What about boats?? WOW there is some cost. Ever price good rod and reels??

And you can get started for less than the $3,000 bucks. Much less if you need to. AND. If things are tight.

you sit them down and they don't keep costing like most other hobbies do.

SASS is CHEAP.

I'm late to this party, where's the whiskey?

When I found this game and had zero, zilch, nada, nothing, none of the right guns, no leather, no ammo, no cart, nothing. Nor did I have the money needed in the bank to buy it all. I found a way to make it happen within a couple months, others can too.

People will give all sorts of reasons for not getting into CAS, cost, costumes, etc. and while those things might play a part, maybe the game just ain't for them, and it don't have to be. I'd rather have someone say 'it's just not for me' than try and justify not playing by bashing the game.

Myself I don't have to win over everyone to justify my own obsession. The game ain't for everyone.

Now on to more important things, and maybe Phantom can weigh in on this, if I shave my armpits and arms, will that give me faster transitions?

Smokestack,

Just a heads up....

If Mis Allie Mo was yelling, you would know it without question.

Mis Allie Mo has the ability to tolerate a lot (like cats) but when she decides enough is enough, the world will/better step aside. ;^)

All in fun Mis Allie Mo.

CH (taking a cautious step back)

Gee......buy a set of guns for $3000 and at some point you decide to move on.

What are those guns worth now?

If you took reasonable care of them............a good portion of that $3000

If any of y'all are getting out don't think your guns are worth much I'll take them off you hands and even pay for the shipping

<_<

IMHO the problem the sport has attracting younger shooters has nothing to do with the cost. I believe it has to do to with the lack of interest younger generations have in the old west. They did not grow up on TV westerns and John Wayne. For them, lever action rifles and single action pistols just don't hold the appeal that Glocks and "black" rifles do (not that there is anything wrong with Glocks or "black" rifles. ) I know there are exceptions to this as proven by the fine crop of young shooters out there. But how many 60 year old shooters are there for every teenage shooter or shooters in their 20's or 30's? We don't need to lower cost of CAS but find away to broaden its appeal to shooters who did not grow up wanting to play cowboy.

The cost of getting into this sport may not be as great as the cost of getting into others, but it's still non-trivial. To those people who are concerned that the cost may in fact be keeping new people from becoming involved, I have something for you to chew on.

Anyone who might be interested in this sport no doubt already owns firearms. They probably don't own the firearms they need for CAS (the rifle and shotgun in particular). This creates in them a certain amount of doubt about showing up to a match, since they don't even know if they'll be able to shoot more than once or twice using borrowed firearms. Now all of us know that we would willingly loan guns and ammunition to spare to any new shooter, but they don't know that.

How about getting your club to put something on their web page in a prominent location that basically says "We have a reserve of leather, firearms, and ammunition available for anyone to use in our matches. Cost for renting this equipment is $35 and covers the costs of ammunition and a 30 minute instructional session on the best way to draw, holster, load, unload, and transition between these 19th century firearms. Shooters interested in renting this equipment should be registered one hour before the safety meeting. A range officer will assign an experienced cowboy to instruct you and allow you use of his gun cart. By using this service, a new shooter needs nothing more than the clothes on his back and the money in his pocket to shoot his first few matches in Cowboy Action Shooting."

I'm certain that larger clubs can easily find some one willing to donate unused leather, loan unused firearms, and reloaded ammunition for such a program. They might even encourage this sort of thing by waiving the yearly range membership fee for some one who steadily supplies .38s. Of course, the above is only a suggestion, and would almost certainly need to be modified for use at your club. The goal here is to encourage the person who likes to shoot, but is unfamiliar with the particulars of these old single-action firearms. I think a lot of young men in particular are worried they'll show up and make themselves look like fools. A program like that might help them overcome that pride.

As for the cost of doing what we enjoy, yes there are a lot of hobbies and sports more expensive than what we do. I used to drag race NHRA legal Mopars in the Super Stock class. Even doing most of the assembly and maintainence work myself, the machine work on a race motor back in the 60's, 70's and 80's was more expensive than what it takes to get into this right now. If a person can't afford to jump in full bore doing this with all the bells and whistles, just start small with pistols and ammo and borrow the other guns from shooting pards, which doesn't seem too hard with the CAS family. Most will understand the can't afford it all right now concept and are more than willing to help out. Point is, don't discourage someone just because he/she can't spend $1500- 3000 at the drop of a hat. That helping others out generosity will get around and hopefully that person will bring more new shooters in. Then in a short while that Cowboy or Cowgirl we helped will have all they need and have a positive attitude about CAS and the shooters doing it.

The cost of getting into this sport may not be as great as the cost of getting into others, but it's still non-trivial. To those people who are concerned that the cost may in fact be keeping new people from becoming involved, I have something for you to chew on.

Anyone who might be interested in this sport no doubt already owns firearms. They probably don't own the firearms they need for CAS (the rifle and shotgun in particular). This creates in them a certain amount of doubt about showing up to a match, since they don't even know if they'll be able to shoot more than once or twice using borrowed firearms. Now all of us know that we would willingly loan guns and ammunition to spare to any new shooter, but they don't know that.

How about getting your club to put something on their web page in a prominent location that basically says "We have a reserve of leather, firearms, and ammunition available for anyone to use in our matches. Cost for renting this equipment is $35 and covers the costs of ammunition and a 30 minute instructional session on the best way to draw, holster, load, unload, and transition between these 19th century firearms. Shooters interested in renting this equipment should be registered one hour before the safety meeting. A range officer will assign an experienced cowboy to instruct you and allow you use of his gun cart. By using this service, a new shooter needs nothing more than the clothes on his back and the money in his pocket to shoot his first few matches in Cowboy Action Shooting."

I'm certain that larger clubs can easily find some one willing to donate unused leather, loan unused firearms, and reloaded ammunition for such a program. They might even encourage this sort of thing by waiving the yearly range membership fee for some one who steadily supplies .38s. Of course, the above is only a suggestion, and would almost certainly need to be modified for use at your club. The goal here is to encourage the person who likes to shoot, but is unfamiliar with the particulars of these old single-action firearms. I think a lot of young men in particular are worried they'll show up and make themselves look like fools. A program like that might help them overcome that pride.

+1

IMHO the problem the sport has attracting younger shooters has nothing to do with the cost. I believe it has to do to with the lack of interest younger generations have in the old west. They did not grow up on TV westerns and John Wayne. For them, lever action rifles and single action pistols just don't hold the appeal that Glocks and "black" rifles do (not that there is anything wrong with Glocks or "black" rifles. ) I know there are exceptions to this as proven by the fine crop of young shooters out there. But how many 60 year old shooters are there for every teenage shooter or shooters in their 20's or 30's? We don't need to lower cost of CAS but find away to broaden its appeal to shooters who did not grow up wanting to play cowboy.

Yes! We need to be recruiting those fed up with 3 gun, USPSA, IPSC, ect. Just like the Wild Bunch did. There out there we just have to find them.

I've strongly advocated advertising both print and video media. This would be money well spent by SASS HQ.

While I am in the "If you can't afford it, you probably shouldn't do it." club, it is a fact that you could go to about any club in the country and shoot every stage with just one revolver. That's it... no rifle, no shotgun, no second revolver and no leather. Just step up, shoot your 5 shots and go to the unloading table. Or just rifle... How could it get more inclusive than that?

The simple fact is, if folks want to do it, they WILL do it.

All 4 of my children know that anytime they want to come shoot cowboy, I will provide the guns, ammo and leather, pay their entry fee, give 'em a ride there and back and even pay for their lunch and yet NONE of them have the desire. This is, sadly, not what they wish to do.

Possum

I don't know of very many new shooters who have shown an interest in this game that didn't already have, or have direct access to, at least one of the required guns; they had it, or their son or father had it. When I started, I already had several suitable revolvers and shotguns, but had to buy a rifle - a Rossi, like many of us started with - it was $399, brand new, fifteen years ago. A Rossi '92 might not be the best gun for the game, but it's a far cry from the worst. Nine months ago, I bought a Rossi .44 mag, brand new, for $397, shipped. Three days ago, I bought another one in .44-40 in like new condition for $350 off the used rack at a local store. Uberti Cattleman revolvers can be found easy enough for under $400. At the risk of violating the "posting auction links" rule, HERE'S ONE for $379, plus shipping & transfer fees, of course. A used 311 shotgun can be had for under $200 easy enough - I paid $160 for one in September. So, total cost of new rifle, new pistols, and used shotgun, $1315, plus shipping & transfer fees, if applicable. In the past five months, I bought a used set of Italian 38-40 revolvers for $500, shipped + $25 txfer fee, a used 311 shotgun for $160 + $29 shipping (rec'd on my C&R), and a used Rossi '92 for $350 (purchased locally) for a total cost of $1064, including shipping & transfer fees.

Like a lot of hobbies and sports, this one can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it, but with a little searching, all four guns can be had for $1000 or so, without resorting to brass framed 1851 .44's.

I think the Territorial Govenors Could spend there time more wisely then if a 68 year cowboy can shoot duelist with adjustable sightes. They need to come up with a way to get the younger Cowboys in to the sport with out having to spending 3,000.00 pluse dollars just to get started. The sport is dieing off due to old age this thing with the sights is not helping.

As to your first statement, most TG's vote the way that their club votes.....they have nothing to do with setting voting agenda. The adjustable sight restrictions, for me, is a hard pill to swallow. SASS eliminated Modern because adjustable sights offer no advantage.......why the restiction with GF and D? I'll not dwell on it.....don't like it.....it's the way it is.

Second, SASS (IMO) never has and probably never will have a plan to get younger folks into this hobby. All forms of reqruitment has come in the form of unpaid volunteers just as most matches are made possible by volunteers.

Third, any hobby has it's costs. You can play horseshoes for around $20 for a complete set of horseshoes, including backups. As someone else said, you can get into CAS for around $1,500........or you can spend $3,000........or you can spend $10,000. Just depends upon how much you want to spend to make your hobby enjoyable to you.

Fourth, the sport is not dieing.....not even close. It continues to grow everyday with new folks of varying ages. I've never heard anyone say, "I don't want to join this, they don't allow adjustable sights in Duelist".

The hobby that most of us enjoy is made possible by everyday folks. These are the people who selflessly spent the time (and their own money) making sure that everyone has a good time, in safe manner, with firearms. I guess that some folks take what life gives them and do little in return and then there are those who give gladly give back what they have recieved.

CS

Our local club;s ads for introductory matches Cowboy Fast Draw and for SASS mention that a limited supply of guns are available.I imagine that other clubs offer them as well

We bring props, equipment, firearms, etc. to fundraising events in our farthest North Idaho county.

It can be done but not while complacently sitting on one's a__!

When I found this game and had zero, zilch, nada, nothing, none of the right guns, no leather, no ammo, no cart, nothing. Nor did I have the money needed in the bank to buy it all. I found a way to make it happen within a couple months, others can too.

People will give all sorts of reasons for not getting into CAS, cost, costumes, etc. and while those things might play a part, maybe the game just ain't for them, and it don't have to be. I'd rather have someone say 'it's just not for me' than try and justify not playing by bashing the game.

Myself I don't have to win over everyone to justify my own obsession. The game ain't for everyone.

Now on to more important things, and maybe Phantom can weigh in on this, if I shave my armpits and arms, will that give me faster transitions?

Oh, and as to the original post, even if you're trying to change the direction your car is going, you still need to change the oil and maintain it along the way, and the mechanics that change the oil might not be the right folks to help plan the best route to take.

The cost is what it is. Is it cheaper than some hobbies yes more than others. I don't think cost will defer new shooter if they are really interested it didn't me ten years ago.the problem is the economy and people having the spare or expendable money to start an exspensive hobby. I have several so I started as a kid like fly fishing and photography others I started as an adult when I retirered 13 years ago like leather working and some idid from time to time as I grew up like RVing. I would say once I got my guns other than ammo and clothes I have spent that much on this hobby. Especially compared to photography where the camera needs replacing every few years because of tech same with computers.

Cost is secondary...TIME is needed and the younger folks have kids, families, etc - no TIME to participate. Or money as kids/houses/familes take priority.

There are exceptions of course, but when I go shoot other things I see it's mostly older folks. When I first got into shooting it was mid 1980s and the local sportsman club was 80% over 50 years old...and my current club looks to be similar.

I do see more 'self defense' folks and kids with 22 rifles are still out there.

A 'black rifle' can run $1000-1500 and costs more to shoot that what we shoot. A glock is cheap but many pistols are similar in price to what we shoot.

A shotgun isn't that expensive (well, doesn't have to be).

The things I see that hurt are holsters (not cheap compared to other sports' holsters) and gun carts are needed - neither of these things are really purchasable other than online or at bigger matches. Clothing can be a bit easier to come buy, but selection still sucks in my experience. If you can't buy the gear you can't play the game.

And, yes 4k is a chunk to lay down, but I know MANY MANY young people that buy ATVs, dirtbikes, road bikes, $50k pickup trucks...

How many kids in the past 40 years grew up with westerns on tv, movies or playing cowboy and indians? Damned few. So unless they're history buffs (aka re-enactors) what would be the draw to our sport?

take my son (age 14) as an example - he plays video games. MP5? Ar? Ak? he knows these guns, they appeal to him. They're 'fun' to him. A rifle with a wood stock is, yawn, boring as all get out to him. Dress him up as a cowboy? LOL Sniper in a gilley suit? Not a problem.

If they already have guns as in the first part of your post. And want to get into SASS. They can always sell

what they got to get SASS guns. That's what I had to do.

I do like the idea of the club having stuff for new shooters.

That is on the club level. Not SASS itself.

But do like the idea.

for the most part. Think that is somewhat done already if a new shooter lets them know they are coming

and don't have all there stuff.

but would be a good idea to just have the leather and stuff in the office.

When my family started, we had none of the items needed, including the firearms.

Trying to substantiate the cost of the sport by comparing it to other expensive sports only proves the OP's original point. It just proves that there are a LOT of hobbies out there competing for that discretionary income needed to participate. I would imagine that the vast majority of shooters have more than one hobby/expense that demands some of the money.

I also find it interesting that, looking at the responses, there seems to be a corellation between the size of the SASS number and the attitude towards the expense of getting started.

Let's see

$650 or so a Glock 34

About $1500 for the Colt CRE 18

I picked up the Benellie 3 Gun shotgun for about $1800

$3950 for guns still don't have holster, mag pouches and shotgun speed loaders.

My training gear is a lot different than competition gear so I need different gear.

Crap I forgot optics for the AR. Looking at about $400 maybe more

Yes I could use one of my current AR's, Benellie M2 and Glock 19, but I do prefer race guns.

So revised at $4350 still gotta get gear.

I can use my rugged gear guncart.

A friend of mine just got started

$1500 for a race ready rifle there abouts

$1500 for a SKB set up.

$1200 for pistols

$600 in leather

Guncart $400

$4200

Of course you can get into either sport cheaper, but I think buy once and buy right is cheaper than buying cheaper up front and up grading.

There are some hobbies I would LOVE to do. Know HOW to do. Just can't AFFORD to do.

SO. I don't do them.

Not all hobbies are for everyone. We can't always do the hobbies we want.

The game is what it is.

I see no need to change it so someone MIGHT want to play.

Shave the short curly ones as well so they don't bind while moving from one shooting position to the other.

I just discovered this post!! Wow some heat going on here! I'd better get me a cold one! I do think $3000.00 is a little high to get into the sport! I think $1500.00 maybe more in line.

Used Uberti's go for 300 each so that's 600

Rossi 92 300

shotgun 300

A rig can be had for 100 bucks or less

Cart?? whatever…..Clothes whatever…...

I'm looking at maybe 1300.00 and if you go the cap and ball route even less!

Rye ;)

Would any attorneys care to comment on this idea?

Really? You want clubs to rent guns to people who may never have fired or handled firearms in their lives?

Do you have any idea what kind of legal liability this puts the clubs and members in? And you want people to "loan" guns to the club to use in this manner?

People get sued in this country for any and all reasons, good or bad, every day. And it takes money to defend these lawsuits whether they have any merit or not. What if even after your 30-minute instruction session, someone a.d.s and injures himself or another. What if he actually shoots someone and kills him--with your gun that you charged him $35 to use.? What if someone has a squib and blows up a gun blinding themselves with the ammo that you charged them $35 to use and now is suing you and your club for $100 million?

Don't think it will happen? Think again.

I'd like to weigh in as a new CAS shooter. I found CAS by accident. I am a scout leader who joined the NRA to get RSO and basic rifle instructor certification to help run our "rod and gun" weekends. Figured if I'm going to be responsible for these scouts I better get reacquainted with the gun. I looked for a gun club to join and ended up at Topton Fish and Game. On their web site they had information CAS. I read up on it. I went up and watched a couple of matches, helped where I could. Third time up, they lent me a set of gear to shoot a stage. I was hooked. Spent the next couple of months getting set up, watching YouTube videos and helping at matches. All the guns were used and ended up less than $1200 excluding leather. The point is to attract new shooters your gun club needs to have something about CAS on its web site and a link to SASS too, your club members need to be friendly to new comers and you need to talk it up in a positive way locally. I found about CAS / SASS locally not through any national effort. We as the locals need to bring in and welcome the new shooters. I talk it up at the gun shop I use, at scouts, and to friends who shoot. I have 3 friends that have said they would like to check it out. All you got to do is smile and talk. Adios "Big Butte (not butt) Lee"

Howdy; I go to match's where the folk are nice, friendly, safe, fun. If the cost is too much I will pick one that is the friendly.

Cost issues is a red haring, it is not the root cause of falling members. There is many reasons beyond all our control.

I have been teaching young people to shoot since the 1960s.

We do not loose these shooters to high costs or anything else that any cowboy/cowgirl has control of.

We loose these youngsters because life has many roads, and cowboy shooting is nothing more than a side path along life's highway.

As people grow older and no longer have the obligations that living places on us, the opportunity to find friends and have fun reappears. That is the reason cowboy shooting has an attraction to older individuals.

We have a sport that has about 30 seconds of exercise every 45 minutes. The rest of the time is spent socializing with peers.

When you see that guy/gal at the back of the bay watching us shoot at your local monthly matches, that is your opportunity for a first impression. Be friendly, be your cowboy self, get their contact information.

They don't need to know about guns, or categories, or senarios, or expenses, or reloading right away. What they need is people they like and want to be with on a regular basis.

Grizzly Dave has an excellent follow up video on how to get started in CAS.

The best place to mine for new shooters are amongst existing shooters.

Archived