SASS Wire Forum

smith & wesson 32 value

Trigger Mike

Found a 1920's-made Colt Police Positive in .38S&W marked with an old express company's name. Probably 75%+ condition. Seems pretty inexpensive at <$200 but it's been languishing in the showcase there in town. Point is that usually, unless there's ironclad significant provenance for someone or some thing notable associated with the weapon, the Smith you're looking at, NIB, likely wouldn't bring $2500. So, this one might be something special.

This sounds very interesting! Let us know what you find out!

sadly the widow forgot why her husband was told if he could authenticate it the pistol was worth 2500. The fact that it was given to him by the person that told him it may be worth 2500 tells me its not. I saw one on gun broker for 300 is that about right for it? She needs money and I want to do her right.

It might be worth it to invest a few bucks in a letter to S&W. The historian used to be a fellow named Roy Jinks, I think. If there is anything special about the gun from S&W's perspective, he would know about it.

I have a S&W Hammerless safety in .32 S&W made in 1898. I figure it's worth somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500, it wasn't owned by anyone famous except for ME!!!

--Rye :)

this is the hammered model

I don't think the hammered model is worth anymore than a hammer-less model.

S&W made bicycle models of both the hammered and unhammered models in .32 Short. These guns have <2" barrels (I do not recall the actual length) and came with holsters that mounted under the seats of 19-th century bikes. They were intended to be used on dogs that chased the bikes.

I bought a very clean S&W .32 lemon-squeezer in 1990 for $75 and remember reading that the bicycle model would sell for $1000 at that time.

Archived