SASS Wire Forum

? 4 Pietta fans

Slowhand Bob, 24229

Uberti grip parts are interchangeable between the '73 SAA models and the Uberti cap and ball models, allowing Birdshead grips to be placed on the cap -n-ball Army and Navy models. My question is, do the Pietta GWll grip assemblies fit the Pietta cap and ball Navy frames? I believe, though not sure, this would have also been possible for the original Colt models. IF it could have been easily done, then it would follow that some yahoo would have wanted it then, just as some seek it now. Remember, Colts first run of the '60 Army model had a couple of variations from what the military finally accepted and Navy grips were on those first Armies. Best I can figure, that was Colts vision and it was the that military wanted a longer grip. By the time the SAA came out the military decided to go back to Colts smaller Navy grip as more acceptable for shooters. I even think Colts Navy/SAA frame just might have been a big part of the reason other excellent revolvers of the day couldnt displace them?? As much as I have liked the Schofields and Remingtons, they just never felt or pointed just right. Any other Colt fans thought this was so? OH back to the topic, if anyone has a GWll and has checked it against a Pietta c&b Colt, please enlighten me .

Sorry for the ramble.

Hi Bob.

Well ....... No. The GWII grip parts don't interchange with the Pietta BP frames. But wait!!! If you call in the next 10 minutes ... We can double your offer ..... Nah. The answer is ..... Almost ALL of Pietta's Cap Guns are based on their 1851 frame. So ...... The different trigger gards, Backstraps, grips ...... Will swap around on different guns. Pietta BP Thunderer type grips will fit Pietta 1860, 1851, '61, '62 etc. Navy type grips ditto and same same with Army grips. Hope that helps.

Coffinmaker

My question is, do the Pietta GWll grip assemblies fit the Pietta cap and ball Navy frames?

Yes they will. I've done it to 3 Pietta C&Bs, a .36 cal 1851 Navy, a .36 cal 1861 Navy, and a .44 cal 1851 Navy.

Fingers (Show Me MO Smoke) McGee

Thanks guys. I have added birds heads to three pair of Ubertis and thought it should follow with Pietta BUT?? The Thunderer grips are much different in the hand and not as comfortable as standard SAA grips for me.

Hey Fingers?......

How long ago and Stainless or Blue??? The Stainless GW II grip sets I tried to swap over to BP frames were a "no go." Different screw size as well. Curious are I. Plus I hate to pontificate bum information.

Coffinmaker

Blue. Didn't even think SS would be different. Good Question. I've got a NIB SS .45 that needs to be torn down & worked over a little. Guess that gives me something else to check while I'm at it.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

There may also be a additional "caviat" to my "quick" answer. The stainless gun(s) I tried to swap around were/are Pietta, built for "Chas Daly." It never entered my small mind they might be at all different from GW IIs. Pietta is all about standardization. I could be wrong about that too .............

Still curios are I. I don't have a GW II other than the Chas Daly TL pull apart. I wanted to swap the grips onto a swell set of Pietta .44 Navys (I know) that are high polish in the white and laser engraved. 'Twas a "no go." Lemmie know what you find with your .45??

Coffinmaker

PS: Hey Bob ...... Stand by. I may stand corrected ...........

OK, did it. The GWII SS back strap & trigger guard fit the Pietta in the white Marshal model 1851, & the brass BS/TG from the Marshal worked on the SS GWII; however, the SS screws are a scoshi bit larger than the blued screws & do not fit in the Marshal frame holes. The original blued screws in the Marshal worked just fine with the SS BS/TG & vice versa.

Still watching and WOW on the tiny difference. VTI does list the GWll birdshead backstrap available as unfinished. I have a pair of the 'in the white' engraved Pietta .44 Navy Sheriffs models that have been converted to cartridge shooters and Birdshead grips on them would definitely be a plus. HMM might just be the set to add black horn grips and fancy black holsters??

Sounds like a really neat combination. Be sure to post pictures when you get it done.

Archived