SASS Wire Forum

A Shoelace Is a Machine Gun?

Subdeacon Joe

Now I have to move the twine for tying up the turkey to the gun safe...yikes..Jim Thanks for the heads up......dang.....

I guess I'm pretty dense, but don't semi-auto have a disconnector that requires release of pressure on the trigger before the next round can be fired? It would seem to me that some other part of the arm would have to be modified in order for the string to work. :huh:

I think it would work like this: front loop around charging handle on rifle bolt, string passes back over the finger, then forward to be looped around the trigger. Pulling back on the string trips the trigger. The string slacks when the charging handle comes back and allows the trigger to reset. When the charging handle returns to battery, it tightens the string again (if the finger is held in position after being pulled back) and trips the trigger. Firing would continue until the finger relaxes the string.

I don't see how they can call that a machine gun as it still requires you to pull the trigger for each shot. The shoe string would pull your finger back, but you still have control over your finger and the gun can not fire without an additional action of pulling the trigger. And as mentioned above it seems that the trigger would have to be released in order for the weapon to be cycled so that it can fire again.

Mariner

The shoe-string method is an old trick to rapidly fire a semi-auto AK. It's a lot like bump firing in that the trigger is rapidly depressed and released. I really don't see how this is functionally any different from those slide-fire stocks for AK's and AR's that the ATF ruled were legal because they required the trigger to be depressed by the finger.

If the only difference is that the trigger is being depressed by an article of clothing rather than the flesh of the booger-picker, wouldn't bump-firing while wearing gloves classify as a "machine gun"?

I don't see how they can call that a machine gun as it still requires you to pull the trigger for each shot. The shoe string would pull your finger back, but you still have control over your finger and the gun can not fire without an additional action of pulling the trigger. And as mentioned above it seems that the trigger would have to be released in order for the weapon to be cycled so that it can fire again.

The charging handle is what pulls the trigger by way of the string. As the handle moves forward it pulls back on the trigger (because the string is looped around the back of the trigger guard) and causes it to fire. The charging handle moves backwards to eject the spent case, allowing the trigger to move forward and reset. The charging handle moves forward again to chamber another round, and the cycle repeats. All you're doing with your finger is keeping enough tension on the string so the charging handle can pull it tight enough to fire.

Here's a picture I found on the net. (For education only. Don't try this at home.)

281a1764.jpg

If the only difference is that the trigger is being depressed by an article of clothing rather than the flesh of the booger-picker, wouldn't bump-firing while wearing gloves classify as a "machine gun"?

No, because when bump firing your finger (gloved or not) is pulling the trigger once per round fired. It just feels like it's full auto because you're holding your finger still while the gun bounces against it. But from the gun's point of view it's one trigger pull, one round fired.

No, because when bump firing your finger (gloved or not) is pulling the trigger once per round fired. It just feels like it's full auto because you're holding your finger still while the gun bounces against it. But from the gun's point of view it's one trigger pull, one round fired.

When using the shoe-string method the trigger is pulled once per round fired as well. It works like this.

The string is tied to the charging handle, which reciprocates with the bolt (this method will not work on an AR-15 for example, or any other gun with a non-reciprocating charging handle), looped around your finger, then the other end is tied to the trigger.

You now pull on the string. This tugs against both the trigger and the charging handle. Since the trigger requires less force to operate than the charging handle does, the trigger is pulled back and the gun fires.

At this point, the round goes down the barrel and gases force the bolt carrier and charging handle backwards. This creates slack in the string and allows the trigger to reset.

The bolt carrier goes all the way back, then starts forward again, stripping a round from the magazine, loading it into the chamber, and coming to rest at its final position. This then creates tension in the string again, which tugs against the trigger, causing it to break a second shot.

In both cases it's one trigger pull, one shot.

Archived