SASS Wire Forum

Weird 73

Boulder Canyon Bob# 32052L

While wandering around a gun shop in Tucson the other day, I spotted a rifle on the wall I thought I recognized as an original 73. But one thing stood out. It was mounted up high on the wall the right side facing out. There was no loading gate on the side plate, it also didn't have the open magazine tube like a 1860 Henry. What was it? I asked the young guy behind the counter about, but he had no clue. So what was it?

Maybe a 22 cal. 73.They don't have a loading gate.

If it is a 22 cal. and in good shape it is worth lots.They made a 22 short model and a 22 long model.

Circa 1949-52, I used to own an 1873 rifle in .22 Long caliber...full length straight stock sporting rifle 24 inch octagon barrel. Heavy.

The magazine tube contained a long inside tube with a spring loaded

follower that you pushed up against it's spring and latched it, then put the cartridges in, then put it back into the outside mag tube where the end cap had a flat spot that you turned to engage a slot in the underside of the barrel to hold it in. There was no right side loading gate as on the

Center fire rifles.

I don't quite remember what unlatched the spring loaded follower to let the cartridges feed.

Mine had a huge all -brass front sight.

It was old and battered and missing the sliding top cover over the bolt. Stock was badly chewed on the top comb, maybe from riding against a wagon seat or buckboard dash(?). Also had a brazed repair on the lever finger loop. I do not remember the serial number.

We "inherited it" among some other old firearms when my folks bought a ranch just east of

Laramie Wyoming in 1949. That property is now in the center of a large housing development, just northeast of the

golf course east of Laramie. The large log Golf course Clubhouse (still standing at last visit) was 1/4 mile WSW of our ranch house., I used to walk that distance to catch the school bus at the end of the line during grades 1-3. 1949-52

We sold out and left the area in 1952 for Montana.

At last visit to the area about 8 years ago, the old ranch house was still standing in among all the newer construction.

The old ranch barns, corrals and other outbuilidngs had long since succumbed to "urban renewal" homes, lawns and yards and such

I would have kept that rifle except i left it behind when I moved to Alaska and my dear kid brother pawned it when he got short, and never got it back.

Bp

Winchester 1873 in .22 Short would be most likely.

A gunsmith in Savannah is also known to modify Uberti 1873s to .45 ACP. The rounds load through the tube, like a modern tube-fed .22. This allows lots of modification to the carrier for the extremely short round.

Archived