SASS Wire Forum

What's the call?

Captain Bill Burt

10, 9, 4+. Four rifle targets one club one spade one heart one diamond. Three pistol targets. Stage instructions call for the shooter to split a deck of cards, with rifle place three rounds on each rifle target skipping the suit of the card the shooter drew. With pistols place three rounds on each pistol target and place the fourth around on the rifle target suit that was drawn for a five second bonus. Shooter engages rifle targets correctly moves to pistols places three rounds on the first target four rounds on the second target two rounds on the third target hesitates and places the last round on the correct rifle target. What's the call?

I'm not disagreeing with either one of you, but bear in mind the shooter knew he only had one round left and knew that he owed two targets one round each. He deliberately skipped the target that was next to engage the target that provided a five second bonus.

And if more than one procedural could be awarded per stage, he would have earned another one. Edit, trying to wrap my mind around on if he would or wouldn't have now....but it don't matter since only one P can be awarded per stage.

I suppose that there could be an argument for a SOG/FTE, but I don't think so. I see a shooter who dealt himself lemons and did his best to get back on track and make lemonade.

FAILURE TO ENGAGE/SPIRIT OF THE GAME

30-Second Penalty
• Willfully shooting a stage other than the way it was intended in order to gain a
competitive advantage.
• Shooting ammunition that does not meet the power factor, minimum velocity. The
penalty is applied for each stage a competitor is checked and their ammunition is found
not to meet the power factor or minimum velocity.
• Willfully refusing to rope a steer, throw a stick of dynamite or otherwise make an attempt
to complete any other non-shooting procedure written within the stage instructions.
Note: Two Spirit of the Game or Failure to Engage penalties will result in a Match
Disqualification.

10, 9, 4+. Four rifle targets one club one spade one heart one diamond. Three pistol targets. Stage instructions call for the shooter to split a deck of cards, with rifle place three rounds on each rifle target skipping the suit of the card the shooter drew.

With pistols place three rounds on each pistol target and place the fourth around on the rifle target suit that was drawn for a five second bonus.

Shooter engages rifle targets correctly moves to pistols

places three rounds on the first target

four rounds on the second target = "P"

two rounds on the third target hesitates

and places the last round on the correct rifle target. = BONUS

What's the call?

Why would the shooter do otherwise once he had the "P"?

Last shot HAD to go on the rifle "bonus" target...that's exactly what the stage called for.

Hi PWB! The call made was a P and a bonus. The reason for my question was the shooter owed both the third pistol target and the rifle target one round each, in that order and chose to skip the pistol targetand place that last round on the bonus target. It was not clear to me that this was a case of shooters choice, because the mistake that he made had occurred on a previous target. Thanks for the clarification.

Shooter did not owe the pistol targets ANY more rounds. Nine were required and nine were fired at the pistol targets. Firing the tenth round at the 3rd pistol target would have been a Procedural and a miss, IF more than one P were allowable. I would argue for the miss, had he fired the tenth round at any of the pistol targets.

I am such a trouble maker. Its me... Its me... I did it... CBB you give me waaaay to much credit for thinking that I might be better off shooting the last pistol round at any other target but the bonus. Honestly I did not think about it... I just knew I only had one shot left and it had to go on the bonus target... Remember... the only spirit I had was the Christmas Spirit. Besides you beat me today what more could you ask for?

Thanks for your assistance on YOUR call today to.

Shooter did not owe the pistol targets ANY more rounds. Nine were required and nine were fired at the pistol targets.

Firing the tenth round at the 3rd pistol target would have been a Procedural and a miss, IF more than one P were allowable. I would argue for the miss, had he fired the tenth round at any of the pistol targets.

IF the shooter had fired all 10 rounds at the three pistol targets (and HIT them), the ONLY penalties would be the "P" for HITTING them 'out of order'; and the lost "bonus" target.

Where is the justification for assessing a MISS as well (for hitting a target other than the bonus target)?

REF: RO1 pp. 23-24

"Miss Flow Chart" RO1 p. 27

IF the shooter had fired all 10 rounds at the three pistol targets (and HIT them), the ONLY penalties would be the "P" for HITTING them 'out of order'; and the lost "bonus" target.

Where is the justification for assessing a MISS as well (for hitting a target other than the bonus target)?

REF: RO1 pp. 23-24

"Miss Flow Chart" RO1 p. 27

First, this is a digression from the original topic post; see my comment in a previous reply.

I was wrong. I was using the Miss Flow Chart as a basis. However it does not read the way I interpreted it at first glance.

So, a P had already been earned; can't assign another for engaging the wrong target with the tenth round. Shooter would miss out on the bonus by engaging the pistol target with the tenth round, but incur no penalty for doing so.

First, this is a digression from the original topic post; see my comment in a previous reply.

I was addressing the ONLY response on THIS THREAD that mentioned assessing a MISS (twice)..and asked how that would be justified.

I was wrong. I was using the Miss Flow Chart as a basis. However it does not read the way I interpreted it at first glance.

So, a P had already been earned; can't assign another for engaging the wrong target with the tenth round. Shooter would miss out on the bonus by engaging the pistol target with the tenth round, but incur no penalty for doing so.

Archived