SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1894C conversion to CB

Hopalong Mac McLin

I have an 1894C Marlin and would like to convert it to a CBC by removing the stock barrel and installing an octogonal CB barrel and Widdermatic the action. Many of you know that many Marlin ads promote the standard 1894C as a "cowboy gun," which it technically is not. I assume that it would also require the front stock to also be replaced. Does anyone know where I can purchase a replacement barrel. Please don't get into a tangent about buying a new one with an octogonal barrel. I already have this Marlin and would rather convert and slick it than looking for another one. Of course, if the barrel is as much as the gun, that might be an option.

What say you Widder or Slater?

This is a good place to start for parts.http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/MarlinGlenfield-33379.htm You are correct that the forend must be replaced with one cut for the octagon barrel... Also need the forend tip that is cut for the octagon barrel. Some parts can be found on Brownell's. Hope that helps you.

Major:

.357 carbine. More concerned about finding the barrel than anything else. Brownell has the forend, as does Numrich. THanks

Hopalong,

Its rumored that Remington 'might' have some of those previous style Cowboy octagon barrels in their possession.

If not, I would contact Slick McClade down in Louisiana. He makes octagon barrels for our pistols and I think he might be able to help you out with an octagon barrel for the Marlin.

I'm sure there are other sources but I can't recall any right now.

One other thing.....buying the barrel might be easy. You want a competent smith to put it on correctly AND ensure your head space is correct. I would seek out Lassiter or Slick to get this set correctly.

And, don't forget about Cowboy Carty in ILLINOIS. He's as good as they come and might be able to help you out.

..........Widder

I found a couple barrels on Ebay for $200 and up!!

This could be an expensive project.

I shoot a regular Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag at a few matches a year. It does just fine with Hornady swaged (super-soft) bullets at around 850 fps. The round barrel is not at pretty as an oct barrel but the value of changing barrels would be up to the cowboy.

Sounds like an interesting project.

Tom Bullweed, I have 2 1894c Marlins in .357...one of them it took me over a year to find...made in 1972 in very nice condition and the other one I took in trade for services. I had planned to Widdermatic one of them, but would sure love to have the octagonal barrel. I saw where Slick had a 66 for sale.....sure looks tempting. If you know anyone who night be interested in a trade, please LMK.

Archived