SASS Wire Forum

Yummy yummy

Alpo

A few years ago someone on here was telling about German Christmas candies. I looked for them (he said that Aldis carried 'em. Was visiting Hazel that year, in Atlanta, and they have one, so I forced her to take me there) but could not find them. He had also spoken of Stollen, and I found one of them. Because of that, I now get three or four each year. Yummy.

Today I'm in a store, and they have a package of cookies. I had no idea what they were, but the name sounded German, so I took a chance.

Pfeffernüsse

Oh My Goodness Gracious. They is GOOOOOOOOOD. About the size of an oreo, but maybe twice as thick. Dusted with powdered sugar. Don't know what the flavors are, but they sure is good.

Onliest problem is, there was only ten in the box, and they was three bucks. 30 cents for a cookie the size of an oreo?!?!?!? That offends my Scots soul. Not to mention my pocketbook.

Buuuutttt - they IS good. Try 'em if you ain't never. I think you'll like 'em.

You oughta get em fresh from a German bakery in a little town like Bad Tolz. Pure deliciousness! :wub: Then you get some fresh baked rolls, go next door to the butcher for sauseges and mustard, pick up a few biers and you got dinner! :lol:

0chmKu.jpg

I don't have fresh, but my daughter went to India in October, and had a 5-hour layover in Frankfort. Brought me a Stollen from the airport, from some Dresden bakery that's been making Stollen since the 1600s.

Pretty dang good, too.

Ah yes, the memories. Gersthofen had some nice bakeries and a few gasthauses. :o

Never went to the field without a stop at the baker for some brot.

Those Pfeffernusse are addictive.

Ah, Bob,

The photo of the Market-Platz was from just last week??? Right???

Coffinmaker

A bit older. ;)

But I doubt it's changed much.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

Ah, Bob,

The photo of the Market-Platz was from just last week??? Right???

Coffinmaker

Is from the 70", right?

The white Car is a Ford M 12.

Pic is from the "obere Marktstrasse"(higher Marketstreet) with the Winzerer Denkmal(Memorial).

Today is "christmas markt" and on the Street are many Woods more. Many History but A little like Disney.

Excuse my bad english. I have never learn.

Is from the 70", right?

The white Car is a Ford M 12.

Pic is from the "obere Marktstrasse"(higher Marketstreet) with the Winzerer Denkmal(Memorial).

Today is "christmas markt" and on the Street are many Woods more. Many History but A little like Disney.

Excuse my bad english. I have never learn.

Es war 1968. By 1970 I was not in Deutschland and had no pfeffernuse, only C rations. :D

cJda4D.jpg

C91TO3.jpg

flintkaserne.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have discovered, to my sorrow, that there are Pfeffernuss and then there are Pfeffernuss.

This is what I found, that started this thread.

41239XHkIQL._SY355_.jpg

Damn Good Cookie.

THIS, on t'other hand, is what I bought last week.

csm_092816_SEA_46018_WNT_Pfeffernusse_Se

Nasty. My daughter wouldn't eat 'em. The GRANDGIRLS wouldn't eat 'em. Hard to imagine a cookie that little kids won't eat.

I tried to eat 'em. They're not good, but I did pay for 'em.

Couldn't do it. Threw a half a sack away.

Nasty. I am depressed.

My MIL is German. She makes Christmas cookies every year. Her Anise cookies are very light. Most of her cookies are ground nuts held together with meringue with a simple icing. Some like her almond bread are very hard and intended for dunking. Out of the 3 dozen or so I received on Dec. 23rd I have 2 left.

I loved the German food. From Red Deer, Roe Deer to Carp I ate it all. Even Tried Katy Cristoph's homemade liverwurst, once.

A group of Lts went to a Gasthaus in Oberammergau for supper and told the lovely fraulein to bring us enough food to feed us all. She brought out a tray that was a least 30" across with every good thing you could imagine from eggs to wurst to breads to cheese which we washed down with huge quantities of dunklebach.

I have a special place in my memory for the street corner carts selling bratwurst and brochen with strong brown senf.