SASS Wire Forum

In a metric world, what is it that is not metric?

Is there any other nation out there besides the U.S. that uses the SAE system of measurement as their standard?

Seems like the rest of the world uses the metric system and we are lagging behind.

Well, I remember my Dad sayin' "If everybody else was to jump off a cliff, would you do it, too"?

I think the rest of the world has followed the wrong path, and we're doing just fine. Metric measurements are cold and mechanical and unforgiving; SAE is traditional, with a bit of give here and there, and even some romance. How would your beloved like it if you brought her 10 roses instead of 12, and explained that 10 is a metric dozen? Think she would be impressed with your metric correctness?

LL

Does any rational person give a damn what any other country does?

I sure don't.

Considering the fact that our modern world functions on the model of global industry and that our national economy is closely tied to trade with other countries that use the metric system would say yes, many rational people give a very very big "damn" what other countries do. The United States included.

Considering the fact that our modern world functions on the model of global industry and that our national economy is closely tied to trade with other countries that use the metric system would say yes, many rational people give a very very big "damn" what other countries do. The United States included.

If we were (maybe still are, but it's questionable) the most economically powerful, militarily powerful, socially powerful nation on Earth, why don't they conform to US?

I've heard my whole life about how "they do it differently" in some chicken little backwater hole that we've saved from destruction by some other chicken little backwater hole several times in our history and how great their society, culture, history, and monuments are.

The French, Spaniards, and others throw all thisi at us but can't show anything they've done that compared to us in the last 200+ years.

I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

Jingoism isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If we were (maybe still are, but it's questionable) the most economically powerful, militarily powerful, socially powerful nation on Earth, why don't they conform to US?

I've heard my whole life about how "they do it differently" in some chicken little backwater hole that we've saved from destruction by some other chicken little backwater hole several times in our history and how great their society, culture, history, and monuments are.

The French, Spaniards, and others throw all thisi at us but can't show anything they've done that compared to us in the last 200+ years.

I, for one, am sick and tired of it.

Jingoism isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Point taken. I see you are passionate about the topic. That's good. People need things to be passionate about.

Keep in mind there are LOTS of things that have been invented outside of the United States that have changed the face of modern society. We are not the benevolent overlords of the earth. We are just the only remaining superpower.

They measure horses in "hands", don't know if metric or SAE hands however, Huh

I know they do, I have been a Carpenter and Horseshoer for 25 years That guy that Joe was talking about was talking about hands in a mile not hands in a horse

BTW, a furlong is also known as a lug, a pole, a perch, and an ancient Roman stadium. It equals 40 rods, 220 yards, 660 feet, 1/8 mile, 10 chains, 100 links, and the length (and also the width) of a square acre.

Incorrect. An acre is one furlong in length and one chain in width. The name furlong is likely a reference to the long furrows plowed by man and ox power in the middle ages.

I had a long online discussion with a fellow who was convinced that the metric system is far superior to the English (Standard) system. He kept going on about how rational it was - everything in 10s, etc.

You should have told him that the standard measurements were all considered rational by everyone when they were adopted. Then asked if in another few hundred years if his descendants will be the minority defending metric as some backward non-rational unit of measurement by others who have some new fangled "superior" system.

Additionally, the standard measurements are often based on the power of 2. This is most easily demonstrated with liquid volume measures.

2 gills make 1 cup.

2 cups make 1 pint.

2 pints make 1 quart.

2 quarts make 1 pottle.

2 pottles make 1 gallon.

So you end up with 2 gills in 1 cup, 4 gills in 1 pint, 8 gills in 1 quart, 16 gills in 1 pottle, and 32 gills in 1 gallon.

Dry volume is similar.

2 gallons make 1 peck.

2 pecks make 1 kenning.

2 kennings make 1 bushel.

There's no denying though that the standard distance measurements make no sense at all.

1 foot is 12 inches.

1 yard is 3 feet.

1 rod is 16.5 feet.

1 chain is 66 feet.

1 furlong is 10 chains.

1 mile is 8 furlongs.

So you end up with 36 inches in a yard, 198 inches in a rod, 792 inches in a chain, 7,920 inches in a furlong, and 63,360 inches in a mile. There's just no rhyme or reason to it.

Just be glad your cars and trucks aren't Withworth nuts & bolts.

BTW, a furlong is also known as a lug, a pole, a perch, and an ancient Roman stadium. It equals 40 rods, 220 yards, 660 feet, 1/8 mile, 10 chains, 100 links, and the length (and also the width) of a square acre.

OOops, 660 feet is not the side of a square acre. An acre is 43560 sq feet, if th acre is square, a side would be 208.710+ feet

Incorrect. An acre is one furlong in length and one chain in width. The name furlong is likely a reference to the long furrows plowed by man and ox power in the middle ages.

Yep, you're right. I don't make many mistakes, but pobody's nerfect. :rolleyes:

I always felt like the metric system was a crutch for people who are bad at math.

I was thinking the same when I clicked the thread.

I ride a Harley and live in America - I rarely find any need to use metric for anything in my life.

Act 4, Scene 1, Shakespeare's The Taming of the Shrew... Curtis calls Grumio " a three inch fool."

It just doesn't sound as insulting to tell a guy he's a 7.62 centimeter fool.

The unites of 10, are easy to remember. ;)

OLG

Easy to remember, not easy to measure like standard.

Is there any other nation out there besides the U.S. that uses the SAE system of measurement as their standard?

Seems like the rest of the world uses the metric system and we are lagging behind.

The United States of America has always been a loner, check the history, then check what happen when the Quiet Giant was once awaken.

Linear it is 2.5 something miles. Area wise it is ~4428 acres. The old Spanish land grants in Texas consisted of leagues and labors. Our farm was labor number xxxx in League XXXX. Look it up.

I prefer National League because of the DH rule in the American.

(and I suspect the DH rule is metric)

I prefer National League because of the DH rule in the American.

(and I suspect the DH rule is metric)

My home team is the Cleveland Indians and they're in the American League. I wish they'd get rid of the DH ALREADY!!! It's make a more interesting game!!

I do know one thing, anymore I reach for a metric wrench first, then the standard. Do they have that problem in Europe?

Archived