SASS Wire Forum

WOOL QUESTION

Chief Rick

Am in the market for a good wool vest and am looking at the Filson Mackinaw Western Vest and the Schaefer 805 Cattle Baron Vest.

The Filson is listed as being 24 oz. 100% virgin Mackinaw wool while the Schaefer is 24 oz. Legacy Melton wool (which is a blend of 80% wool/20% nylon). Schaefer also shows an 18 oz. 100% Merino wool in another vest.

What's the difference? Is one "better" than another as far as warmth and/or wear?

Thanks.

I have one of each, actually two of the Schaefers and I like them all. The Filson is probably the best of the three and by far the warmest.

I've got Filson, Orvis and Schnee's wool vests. They are all good. The Filson is the best.

Enjoyed my Filson Western vest at today's shoot.

Pricey, but worth it in today's market. Their motto has become a favorite saying-- "Might as well have the best".

Take a look at "King of the Mountain Sports" wool collection. Owned by Brother King and very very good!

I have 2 Schaefer vest's and very happy with them . I didn't know Filson offered one in that style it looks good . The Schaefer's are lined and have a inside breast pocket that I like .Woodfox

Archived