SASS Wire Forum

Shooting glasses you recommend?

Dungannon Gunner

What shooting glasses do you use and would recommend? I want the style that have in prescription inserts. I have a pair of NYX Carbon and was just told that they will no longer offer the inserts! I have heard of another brand called Rudy Project. Any advice would be appreciated...

Merry Christmas!!!

Wiley-X makes a lot of different styles and you can get them with you perscription. No matter what brand you choose be sure they are Ballistic rated safety glasses. You can find a lot of styles and brands here that are available with perscription inserts. http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/safety-glasses-with-rx-inserts.html This is not an all inclusive list as other brands sold on this site can be has as perscription safety glasses.

Ballistic Safety Glasses are designed to provide impact protection beyond typical industrial safety standards, because those serving in the Armed Forces and Law Enforcement may be subjected to projectiles that travel at speeds far greater than your typical industrial debris.

To help combat the eye hazards in these dangerous environments the United States Military has implemented a series of rigorous ballistic tests that safety glasses, sunglasses and goggles worn by today's men and women in uniform have to pass. These tests subject eyewear to projectile impacts over four times the velocity (650 fps +/- 10 fps) of normal ANSI testing standards (150 fps). All the ballistic safety glasses, ballistic sunglasses and ballistic goggles listed in this section are certified ANSI Z87.1-2010 for high impact, and also meet or exceed one or more of the following ballistic standards: MIL-PRF-31013, MIL-V-43511C, and CE EN166B

L&M lenses will cut any script you have for Wiley X, a full wrap around frame.

My current set is bifocal at 6" beyond my extended right finger for right lens, and distance focus for left lens.

Their lens material is harder/tougher than polycarbonate.

Just sayin'

AR

I started with Wiley X and switched to ESS both with prescription inserts and they work very well but do have one problem. That problem is that you are looking though two sets of lens which restricts light transfer and clarity. I used inserts for several years and noticed quite a difference between my safety glasses and my reading glasses in those areas. I went to my eye doctor told him what I wanted safety glasses rated ballistic impact I didn't get the wrap around lens but a semi with side shields, I'm very satisfied.

I have a pair of Rudy Project sunglasses with readers that I wear riding my motorcycle. Allows me to just glance down and read guages, cell phone, audio settings. Long distance vision is still great but have that awful age related need of readers.

I really like them and they fit inside my helmet (Arai RX-Q) very comfortably. I am also starting to use them more when driving the 4-wheel cages as they also help celar up panel reading there.

Sadly I cannot get the readers in the safety lenses or I would be able to just swap lenses in one frame for shooting or driving.

For shooting, I have purchased the stick-on reader lenses I found on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GHR8YWQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1and so far, limite duse, they are working well attached to my shooting glasses.

DG, I use Wiley Rx with prescription inserts....come with 3 different lense colors. Next you see me at a match you are welcome to look at them. If the rain stays away I'll be at South River on Sat.

Kajun

Thanks to all. Some good advice.. KK, I will take you up on the offer. Lord a willing I will also be at South River this weekend

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

Whatever you decide, I reckon it's a good thing to have poly carbonate lenses.

You can't bust them with a BFH. :rolleyes:

Mustang

I use a pair of economically priced safety glasses from my eye-doctor.

Tried the ESS glasses and found that looking through two sets of lenses was not going to work for me. Sometimes - depending on ambient lighting, angles, & backgrounds - it felt as if I were looking through a film transparency.

I still keep them in the gun cart for a back-up but have not worn them in quite a while.

While not fashionable, my current glasses are all day comfortable, allow me to see, & are ANSI approved.

Archived