SASS Wire Forum

.38 or .45

Aunt Jen

Hello. This is probably a previously-covered topic, but I haven't been here in a long time, so I've lost track.

I wanted to collect ideas on .45 vs. .38 use in SASS.

I have both in revolver, but my two rifles are both .45. I like them all, but truth is, I'm not shooting them since my husband passed in '12.

I'd like to keep a set for those occasional times when I may go shoot, but I'm wondering why my safe is so full, at this time.

Yes, it's "Whatever (I) like best," but sometimes when people express opinions, it helps me think.

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Howdy Aunt Jen, the 38 is gonna cost less overall for ammo (bullets, powder, brass) Ifin it was me I might sell one rifle to buy another in .38, that way you will always have a backup set of guns and a .45 if you ever decide to shoot Wild Bunch or something a little hotter. Good Luck & Merry Christmas :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Howdy Aunt Jen, the 38 is gonna cost less overall for ammo (bullets, powder, brass) Ifin it was me I might sell one rifle to buy another in .38, that way you will always have a backup set of guns and a .45 if you ever decide to shoot Wild Bunch or something a little hotter. Good Luck & Merry Christmas :)

I think Jefro gave you some good insight....I agree with his recommendation.

Hello. This is probably a previously-covered topic, but I haven't been here in a long time, so I've lost track.

I have both in revolver, but my two rifles are both .45. I like them all, but truth is, I'm not shooting them since my husband passed in '12.

I'd like to keep a set for those occasional times when I may go shoot, but I'm wondering why my safe is so full, at this time.

Yes, it's "Whatever (I) like best," but sometimes when people express opinions, it helps me think.

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Hi Aunt Jen,

It's always a problem when you're trying to sort out an undefined question in your head, because you don't know where you want to end up.

I have an issue with smaller calibers, as I am a died in the wool adherent of the "God shoots a .45" philosophy. I just love the caliber, and

I have 4 or so pistols and 2 rifles in .45 Colt, and a few .45 ACP and 9mm square guns as well.

I'm not a competitor in the game, in so much as I'm not willing to sacrifice my taste in pistol or rifle caliber in the hunt for speed, so if I loose

ground compared to others who chose a smaller bore size and beat me - "oh well"... I can deal with it.

I also like being able to choose a single load that works well in my handguns and rifles both, and in having handguns and rifles that I can

load hell for stout and go bear hunting if the devil drives me there . . . .

I shoot 250 gr LRNFP's loaded to 600 f/s out of my pistols, and not much faster from my rifles, using Trail Boss. There is no loss to .38s in

anything but perhaps cost, and when that becomes a significant issue I'll switch to shooting .22's.

To me this game is a Romantic experience, and I have a deep association with the .45, going back to long before CAS came along. That I can

combine them is what makes it so much sweeter.

If I had to, I'd winnow it down to a pair of pistols and a rifle to shoot CAS, all in the same caliber, and then sell or trade everything else for what I

wanted or needed for other pursuits. Given that this is a game, and not life or death, worrying about spare guns is a luxury. If need be, when a

gun breaks, you drive home from the match and get it fixed. No big deal and no one dies over it . . . It's just a game . . .

I will end my days with a .45 Colt in my hands, all my other guns will go as the ability to use them leaves me, but I'll always be able to handle and use

a Colt SAA in .45 Colt . . . . or they can put me on an ice Floe with a polar bear and send me out to sea . . . .

Not sure if my waxing poetical about my favoritist caliber in the world helps in any way . . . just telling you how I feel about that one . .

Shadow Catcher

Do they have sentimental value? You may need to keep the rifles them in that case. Low cost and low recoil is not the only consideration.

I'm all over the 'opinion' world on this one Jen.

But if you are seeking general info, I have some to share.

One of my favorite rifles is a Marlin modified to shoot the Cowboy 45 Special, although I normally shoot the .32 H&R in main matches.

And my favorite match pistols are Ruger .45 Sheriff models which I exclusively use the Cowboy 45 Special.

If you have doubts or reservations as to which you want to keep, keep them both and allow yourself more time to sort it out.

Both are great calibers and either will serve you well.

I wish you well and hope you have a Merry Christmas.

..........Widder

Aunt Jen - Good to see you again, it's been a while.

When I started I chose 357s shooting 38s for several reasons, easier to find factory ammo at the time, and less expensive to reload.

I still love my 38s, but would also like a brace of 45s now that I've been around a while so I can shoot classic cowboy if I take a mind to. As I am active in CAS, having two sets even in different calibers makes sense for me. One of these days...

One factor you might want to consider is resale value... since I have been around the game, I've seen quite a few go from 45s to 38s, but very few go the other way. So long term, depending on what you have the 38s may hold slightly more resale value.

Feel free to email or PM.

Grizz

Thank you

Aunt Jen

Since you already have both revolvers and rifles in 45 and would have to buy a rifle in 38, I'd stick with the 45's. You have a back up rifle and could easily sell the 38 revolvers. No outlay of cash. That all goes out the door if there is any sentimental feelings about the 38's. What did your hubby shoot?

My condolences on your husband passing.

If you shoot two different calibers at the same time, there will come a day when you forget to bring the right ammo to the range. Not a big problem, just embarassing.

I once made the mistake of talking while I was loading and got a .38 cartridge in the magazine of a .45 rifle. Fortunately the loading table officer was watching more than I was and called me on it. So at any match I make sure that my rifle and revolvers are shooting the same cartridges after that.

If competition is important to you, then the .38 has the edge. If you like bigger noise and clang the .45 has the edge. I remember Sacramento Johnson entertaining the whole field one year at the Show-Me Shootout when she shot full-house blackpowder loads in her .45s and then topped off the show with her blackpowder 10 gauge shotgun. She drew applause after every stage!

Somedays my arthritic fingers like the feel of the big fat old .45 better than the skinny .38. Hope you are not similarly afflicted.

In any case, I hope you continue to shoot and have fun with the rest of us. I haven't said anything very helpful, but maybe my meanderings will trigger something for you.

I have 12 45 colt pistols and three rifles. I have 2 38 pistols and 2 rifles. what I end up shooting is 45 pistols and my Marlin 357

rifle loaded with 38's.

But I have places where you lose a lot of brass and as stated above 38 brass is cheaper.

This X2 :excl:

OLG

Is there any difference in gun values? Colts vs Ruger or Uberti's. Real Winchesters vs Clone?

It would probably be hard for me to get rid of a collector... or It may be a way to make some money.

Those types of decisions are so hard for me. I've regretted selling every gun except one. (a Jennings J22 if interested)

Just thinking out loud on the keyboard.

Good luck.

Wow, what good info. I do appreciate the frankness and the eloquence. Thank you all.

Painless (hubby) shot a .45, and I sold that set to his son (very low price) years ago, as he wanted them. I don't blame him, and it's okay.

What I'll do is let it set on all this good info, for now. I'll look at 'em, maybe go out to the range and shoot 'em. We'll see. I'm familiar with all the options. But it's nice to hear people consider things. Helps me think.

When someone is close to you for much of life, you kinda blend, merge, into one couple-problem-solving person, each bringing different qualities to problems. Painless tended to bring rationale and logic. I tended to bring creativity, emotions... Together, we did well.

Without him, though it's been 2.7 years, I find I'm still left lacking in this area, alone.

However, if he were here, I think he might offer something like, "...It doesn't matter, really. Enjoying the day is more important than worrying about it." (The day, being a match, shooting in the country...) I like what he'd have to say in that regard, and I know that's been shared above, as well.

Yes, durn it, I find it a difficult decision.

So, until it becomes an easier decision, I think I'll listen to ole Painless, and you all, as well, and wait a bit. Think. They're not going anywhere.

Then one day I'll sell about half of them and make room in my safe.

Thank you all for excellent, considered opinions.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, or whichever blessing you prefer. May health, home and happiness grace each of you this holiday season.

Jen

Yep

Archived