SASS Wire Forum

Arlo Guthrie is now........

Litl Red

Remember the almost communist, leftist leaning (he often fell off his stool and it was always to the left) Arlo Guthrie ?

Turns out he's now a registered Republican and also talks the same.

It's a shame he's not as popular now, nor seems to write anything that makes the charts.

I'm wondering if he might've been an "R" back in the day...

Remember, Johnson was in the White House when Arlo did Alice's Restaurant~! :)

I listened to the whole original recording last night while I was working on some reloads....it's been more than 25 years since I heard it.

As Churchill said; "If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at forty, you have no brain."

Starting next year he will be doing an "Alice's Restaurant" concert series. 50 year anniversary tour. Check out tour dates at http://www.arlo.netif you might be interested. I will be going to see him in Richardson, TX in Feb.

You know I never thought of "Alice's Restaurant" as a war protest song. Just a funny story to me.

Here's a protest song he wrote, protesting the way soldiers were treated when they came home:

Powerful stuff, IMHO.

He has made a career out of two songs, really. Alice's Restaurant and The Motorcycle Song. He does other stuff, but ask just about anyone to name some Arlo Guthrie songs and those will be the only ones 99 44/100 of the people will come up with. He even has jokes about it as part of his schtick on the folk music circuit.

Sometimes, age brings wisdom.

In that case, I must be approaching downright brilliance! ;):D

He has made a career out of two songs, really. Alice's Restaurant and The Motorcycle Song. He does other stuff, but ask just about anyone to name some Arlo Guthrie songs and those will be the only ones 99 44/100 of the people will come up with. He even has jokes about it as part of his schtick on the folk music circuit.

Although he did not write "City of New Orleans" he did record it and had a hit with it. Wikipedia ain't always the best source for info but I think this reference is pretty accurate.

Kajun

Picky, picky, picky!

Yeah! I think "City of New Orleans" might have been his pinnacle as a performer. He didn't write it but it became his identifier.

Archived