SASS Wire Forum

Scam Alert

Howdy:

I have had a few scam calls lately but this one takes the cake. I had a message left by a pleasant sounding lady advising me to call the IRS regarding a lawsuit against me. Being the curious type I called the number that she left and it was answered by a gentleman who gave his name as Joseph Stevens, I.D. number 704031. His heavy accent indicated to me that his name was not really Joseph Stevens. Anyway, he told me that the IRS has a lawsuit "against my name" for the years between 2009 and 2011 for unpaid taxes amounting to $4954.00, including penalties, interest and legal fees. I questioned this which flustered him because he could not provide any answers. I asked how I would go about settling this and he didn't know what to say. I told him that the IRS does not call taxpayers in these situations. He didn't buy that either. To make a long story short, I was told that if I do not intend to settle this with the IRS he would report me to the police and by tomorrow I would be arrested.

I realize that you all most likely would not fall for something like this. I didn't. I was an accountant for 40+ years and have had some experience with tax returns and the IRS. I am posting this because some of you may know older folks who may fall for this because they don't want to get into trouble. (My dad, my father-in-law, and a friend or two) would panic and give a credit card number just to stay out of trouble.

Sorry to be so long winded about this but I think people should be aware that stuff like this happens.

Thanks for reading this.

Frazee

I got a message on my answering machine to the same effect, that if I don't pay up they'd have me arrested. They got around the foreign accent problem by having a computer speech synthesizer threaten me. I'm not worried - I've killed better computers for less.

Just tell them you will be happy to meet them at the local office with a certified check in hand. Mention a local city that you know doesn't have an IRS office, and say at the Baker Street office and ask for the name of the agent you need to meet with. That should mess with them!

Bad enough they are putting good Americans out of work, now they are taking the jobs away from our crooks too! :lol:

Senior citizens are fallling for this all the time, unfortunately.

I got the same call. From area code 202 which is DC but I think they spoofed caller ID.

I didn't answer and they left a message saying the IRS had a lawsuit against my name.

Way I figure it, if the IRS wants to come to my house, they are more than welcome otherwise, I send them my annual contribution and am done with them.

Yes, it is a scam, a quick internet search showed a lot of it going around with the same scam.

Don't answer a call from area code 202.

GS.

Howdy,

Call the real IRS, I bet they would love to grab these jokers.

Act scared, get the address where to send the check.

You might even get a reward, stranger things have happened.

Don't steal, the government hates competition.

Best

CR

The IRS is well aware of this scam. I have personally taken numerous reports from folks who have fallen for this and also those who haven't but report the attempt. The problem is they are overseas and can't be touched.

Tell the guy you work for the US Government, that his call has already been traced and he has been identified. Tell him you are from the government an you are here to help him. His only hope is to send you $800, which you will use to pay off the assassin assigned to his termination.

We've been getting calls in at the dispatch center from people who have been called and want to know what to do. A few of them have been scared of being arrested until told it is a scam.

Actually, because most (if not all) of you are known to be Conservative, its probably Ms.Lerner trying to get some money to help pay her future legal fees.

..........Widder

I called the return number for the "IRS" a victim gave me once and pretended to be them for a while to see what the guy would say. Eventually I identified myself and told him I knew it was a scam. He could care less and offered to transfer me to his supervisor, who interestingly sounded like the exact same guy. I knew it wasn't going to solve anything and they didn't care who I was because they were overseas, but I decided to berate them as scum for preying on the citizens in my city. I may have dropped a few MF'er bombs on him to punctuate my opinions of him. It was funny because he started to cuss me out, still claiming to be an IRS official though, then threatened to call my chief. I gave him my departments # and begged him to call. Didn't solve anything but it was kinda fun.

Later when I got back to the station I was reprimanded because apparently it really was the IRS and they had called in a complaint…hahaha…ok that last part isn't true but it was fun to yell at the guy.

I've tried to bait them on the emails they send out too, but I never get a response.

Archived