SASS Wire Forum

Question for the confuser literate

Recently, I've been getting some spam e-mules with a difference: the sender SEEMS to be ME!

Even though it comes into my spam folder, it has my e-mule address as the sender.

How does this work?

The first time this happened, I changed my password. (Yes, I have been paying attention.) It didn't stop them from coming, though.

I run Spybot, Malwarebytes, and Microsoft Security Essentials, but none of them have given me anything that points to this. Is it just clever programming that replaces the sender's e-mule address with mine? or is it something to be concerned about?

Even if I don't always say it,

Thanks

The email sender address can easily be spoofed. They don't have to have hacked into your system --- unless those in your contact list are the ones getting the emails.

I had a libtard object to my refuting of his childish point. So he sent out some vile messages using my email address. Nothing I could do - so I ignored it. He eventually found something else to occupy his limited intellect.

Using another senders e-mail address does not require a password.

It's basically a type in and link to the originators e-mail that is hidden.

Do not click on these e-mails with your address on them.

By doing so, you verify that the address they are using is active and good for future contact.

Changing you password is always good but does nothing about your e-mail.

You change your e-mail address. Most net hosts allow you to have several e-mail address on one account.

Now as for me, I just ignore these spammers and delete them. I some times delete good e-mail messages but those usually are resent if they are people that know me.

Just last month I changed my e-mail address due to changing server host after 18 years.

It takes me two tries to get my e-mail because I can't seem not to type in the old e-mail password.

Spam e-mail. Ignore and delete.

If you open or respond, you have invited in the devil by given they your e-mail as active.

Hi Sgt.,

I've noticed that if you right click on a suspicious email's from address, sometimes you will find that it did not really come from the individual listed on the "from" line. When this happens I copy the real sender address, go to my ISP's block Spam area and paste that address in. As a result, I don't get more emails from that spammer.

Good luck,

Allie

Thanks, guys. I haven't opened any of these, and I don't intend to.

Miss Allie, on my e-mule, (outlook), all you have to do is hover and it shows the real sender, it's STILL me! I even tried to block one once, and my confuser told me I couldn't block myself.

I'm just glad that there doesn't seem to be any thing to concern my self about.

Hi C.J.,

I would be concerned.

Some malware may have been installed on your computer. I recommend a full virus scan by your virus protection program. Then, if it finds something, either follow instructions or check their Webpage for instructions. If nothing shows up contact your virus protection company.

Good luck!

Allie

Hi C.J.,

I would be concerned.

Some malware may have been installed on your computer. I recommend a full virus scan by your virus protection program. Then, if it finds something, either follow instructions or check their Webpage for instructions. If nothing shows up contact your virus protection company.

Good luck!

Allie

Thanks Miss Allie,

Just this last Sunday, I scanned with Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, IObit Malware fighter, and Ccleaner. I do this just about every week. I also have the Microsoft Security Essentials automatically run a scan every night.

I know that a lot of people like AVB, but when I was running that, a real nasty virus got past it and caused my no end of problems. Since using the Microsoft Security Essentials, I haven't had any issues.

Your programs to detect and kill virus/malware won't fix this. The problem is that Internet email protocol is not very secure and this is spoofed when they send it out. This has been an ongoing problem with internet email. Good providers will automatically shunt the stuff "from you to you" that did not come from their service straight to the spam bucket for you. I turn off all the auto preview stuff and delete anything that looks like junk unread. Sad fact is that a significant percentage of the entire bandwidth of the entire Internet is wasted on spam and virus/malware.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with malware. When you use a bulk email program, you can enter the address you want it to come from. Some of them are just lazy and enter the same address for the to and from fields. Their goal is to find a from address that will pique your interest and make you open it. I guess that's why I get a lot of spam emails from 'Adriana'. Somehow they've figured out my weakness for exotic women.

Yeah, this has nothing to do with malware. When you use a bulk email program, you can enter the address you want it to come from. Some of them are just lazy and enter the same address for the to and from fields. Their goal is to find a from address that will pique your interest and make you open it.

I thought it was something like that. Thanks.

Thanks Miss Allie,

Just this last Sunday, I scanned with Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy, IObit Malware fighter, and Ccleaner. I do this just about every week. I also have the Microsoft Security Essentials automatically run a scan every night.

I know that a lot of people like AVB, but when I was running that, a real nasty virus got past it and caused my no end of problems. Since using the Microsoft Security Essentials, I haven't had any issues.

I used to use AVG and then Microsoft Security Essentials. now I have switched to Panda. they have free version that works pretty good, no problems so far, about a year or so.

Archived