SASS Wire Forum

Match Directors

Chief Rick

How many of you post (website or Face Book) or email the stages you plan to shoot prior to the match?

And if you're not a match director do you like the idea of knowing what the stages will be prior to showing up, do you not want to know, or do you not care either way?

:FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm::FlagAm:

I'm the TG for 2 SASS clubs.

I write the stages sometimes and the MD does it sometimes.

I do not like to put them out ahead of time.

Mustang Gregg

I would think that giving the stages away ahead of time is unfair since some will practice those stages prior to the match and others would not be able especially if you don't send them out to them because you don't have their email or they are last minute to sign up. Post the stages on your website afterwards is great maybe once the registration opens is ok but not prior to it.

Since I am new to CAS and have not shot a match yet, I would prefer to see what is going to happen in advance....not to practice it, but so there will be no surprises. After I become an ol pro, it probably won't matter. One of the local clubs near my home sends the stages to it club members in advance. I like that idea.

either way for me,,, don't read em if they are available, cept for a big shoot, and any more not so much.

it does help newer shooters that are very unsure,,,,

This is an interesting conversation. I recently was asked to lead our local club, and I was thinking it might be good for the shooters if I put the stages on our website a week or so ahead of time so there are not any surprises, and as a service to the members that care about it, but maybe I am off base

Knob Creek Gunfighters Guild has been posting stages for as long as I can remember. As the current match directoor I have continued that tradition of emailing them to members. Two weeks prior to a match. Personally I have never practiced the stages.. some do some don't. However I have never heard of any member saying they wish it wasnt posted.

One downside I can think of (there may be more) is that something may change at the last minute which results in a change to the shooting sequence.

I could imagine some of the heartache & belly-aching that could come from that situation.

no big deal, we're mostly adults,,,, har!!!

Interesting topic.

At RRBar we have been posting the stages a week or two before the match for all to read.

We do not post stages of our annual event as this would give the locals an advantage because they know the range and could actually practice the stages in place.

So we chose not to post big match stages.

Now that the end of the year is upon us, it's time to update the web site.

While getting ready to do that, I will look over the web site reports and see what pages are looked at and by how many different people.

This allows me to drop pages with no activity.

Yesterday while doing that, I went to the Stages and found that the click count for our monthly matches on the stage instructions is 8 or less.

We have about 35 to 50 regular monthly shooters.

Looking at the addresses of those who are looking at our stage instructions, something very interesting came up.

Half or more of the people viewing the stages are not from our area or even our state.

It looks like other clubs looking for ideas.

I have been posting the Ros stages for 3 years now.

At first the count was over 30 but now it's below 8.

Currently deciding if it's worth the effort to get the stage instructions written two weeks ahead of the match and then reformat them to post to the web site.

Personally. I have done this for years with a few clubs and it always starts out good then quickly dwindles down to not being used.

a lot of effort and no positive return.

A week from this Friday, I will know how the discussion on this goes when I start rebuilding the RRBar web site.

Match scenarios are like a box of chocolates, you never know till you shoot them! Besides, part of the fun is figuring out how to shoot them without a lot of brain-cell damage. I am into the fresh air and fellowship and feel strongly both ways!

I'm just sayin

I'm the TG and took back the Match Director this past year. 4 of us are writing stages now . We have been building a Old west town. We have 12 main match stages set up just 10 buildings . 10 more buildings or structures to go. We shoot 2 times a month, 2nd and 4th Saturdays. 6 each. We set up targets the 1st of the month, but know one knows how they are wrote till they read the scenario. You can't practice @ Tulsey Town unless you belong to Tulsa Gun Club.

Rev

Alias according to the Membership As SCROOGE

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

On the one hand it's fun to see what is coming up, on the other hand if there are last second changes and you aren't paying attention as the posse marshal reads the stage, then yer screwed.

Multi day annuals I like getting them at registration, part of my night before and morning of routine is to read the stages and cypher how I want to do things. But as I said above, you still gotta LISTEN and ASK QUESTIONS when the posse marshal reads the stage.

For monthlies it's less important, and in a way good not to see them, you have to learn to evaluate and plan a stage more quickly.

First, for the most part how the targets are set up completely changes most stages. So even if I know the stage, it isn't enough normally. Except for when the stage contains an unusual sequence of some sort.

I learned this because I was part of setting stages for a big annual match. I had shot all the stages and found some issues. So minor changes were made. But when I went to the big match, the layouts were different, different distances and slightly different props. I was surprised that I almost didn't recognize the stages! And no, I did NOT do well at the match. :)

I know of several clubs that send out the stages for the monthly matches. Several local shooters have told me that they really like it since they can fix the stage in mind better and avoid procedure penalties. As they get older, they need the extra help. So if it helps them, so much the better.

Normally the stages get posted only a few days or even only 1 prior ot the match. So I guess some could practice them, but only a few could in that time frame.

How many of you post (website or Face Book) or email the stages you plan to shoot prior to the match?

And if you're not a match director do you like the idea of knowing what the stages will be prior to showing up, do you not want to know, or do you not care either way?

Hi Rick,

It is getting more frequent at our largest local venue. I think three MDs there are doing it now. I rarely read them. I only like to see them before annual matches. Usually they are available at least one day before the annual's main match and that is good enough for me.

Regards,

Allie

I post them as a courtesy. There is a disclaimer that they could be modified to correct a safety issue or from a change in the weather. Shooters requested it so we responeded by posting the stages.

In fact, our March (next match) 2015 stages are already on the web site.

New shooters really appreciate seeing the stages in advance. It helps them a lot and takes some of the unknown away.

I send them out at least three days before the match. For me, I learned a long time ago it doesn't help one bit to know the stages ahead of time, things may change and how the targets are set may completely change the way you thought the stage might be. In short, it don't mean beans to me, but some folks like to have them, like Marauder said " if it helps them, so much the better" ;) . Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

So, who's got time to post scenarios or time to read or study them? I reckon if I was retired I might have time. I'd rather use that time building, welding, writing scenarios, etc. Folks must have way too much time on their hands or I just work too much. I don't think our club or any other clubs in our area have even thought about prescreening of scenarios.

I write our stages 2 weeks in advance so they can be reviewed by club officers. Having them ready that early lets me send them out with the upcoming match notice a week in advance, as well as posting them on the club website & FB page. Day before the match I send out a reminder e-mail with the stages attached again. We are the only area club that posts stage descriptions in advance & have gotten a lot of good comments about it.

Holler

Posting of stages.....

Posting of who is coming list.....

There will always be someone trying to game both of them.

There will always be someone that doesn't like something or somebody. (Or jump categories)

Believe it or not, I heard someone request to be on a specific posse so that they could shoot at a flyer later in the day when the sun was in a better position.

I post the stages for the River Bend Rough Riders monthly shoots about a week ahead of time. A number of members have indicated that they like it. No members have said they see any problems with doing so or voiced complaints.

I don't see any evidence that some are taking advantage of the information (which we make available publicly to anyone who wants to look at the website) by practicing and it would be hard to do so. That is because, as Marauder points out, the graphic depictions we use don't show target distances or spread and sometimes do not even depict the type/shape of target used in a given location. Furthermore, we reserve the right to make changes during actual setup if some safety concern, target or prop issue arises.

They are therefore useful, if at all, principally for letting those who care to do so think through the sequences--and maybe doing a little mental planning on transitions. As far as I am concerned if that helps them avoid a P or improve their shooting a smidge, that's a plus. I don't believe it has had any real effect on category wins or overall standings.

One downside I can think of (there may be more) is that something may change at the last minute which results in a change to the shooting sequence.

I could imagine some of the heartache & belly-aching that could come from that situation.

^ This

I can see posting them ahead of time for a monthly match but for state and above I don't think it's a good idea. It sets the MD up for a whole bunch of belly aching if something needs to be tweaked at the last minute. MDs have to put up with far too much of that already, no need to create the opportunity for more.

I post the stages on the website about 2 to 3 days before the match. We have 5 local clubs and several stage writers ... there is only a couple of us that post the stages early. I have had several positive comments about posting the stages and no negative comments to me personally ... but I know we have several long-time shooters that don't like it. The main reason I like to have them posted is so everyone gets the same opportunity to see the scenarios in advance instead of just a handful of folks who see the stages in advance every month.

We may have a few members that do not have (or choose not to use) internet but it is a small number and most them ... don't really care anyway. I guess some people talk about folks practicing ahead of time as being unfair, but I personally could care less about that. I don't ever remember shooting a match well when I write the stages and serve as MD ...

All of the better clubs we shoot at release the stage descriptions to the shooters about a week before a monthly match.

If I get the stages ahead of time, I'll go over them with my better half and see if we understand them. My memory is shot, so I'll never try to memorize any of them.

At Bordertown the stages are "tested" months in advance at one or two of the local monthly matches. The shooters don't see the actual stages until they pick up their shooters handbook. Haven't heard of any complaints about not having the stages any sooner.

That's about two cents worth,

BS

I do not post or email them. Yet, anyway. I've been thinking about it, I know one other club in New England that does and it appears to be a popular idea. I'll go along with almost any good idea my shooters want. I would have to reserve the right to make changes at set-up. A lot of things looks better on paper than they do on the grass. Maybe if I were a better stage writer :wacko: And then too, I'd have to finish them a few days sooner. <_<

got the stages of last wild bunch match emailed to me, printed them out at work, gonna look at them the night before, came back to work Monday after shooting Sat. guess were they were, still on my desk! I don't need no stinkin stages in advance!

Rafe

I am the TG and the Match Director. I never post them ahead of time simply because I only design them a day or two ahead of each match! :)

Archived