SASS Wire Forum

Very Cool Flintlock Rifle Design - Over & Under

guitar_slinger

Guys and Gals,

I thought some of my fellow cowboys and cowgals may be interested in this. A buddy of mine is making an Over / Under Flintlock rifle. The interesting thing is he's figured out a design that will eliminate the "bottom barrel lag time" that has plagued the over/under muzzleloader. It is a true over/under and not a swivel breech design.

Before anyone asks, no, I do not get a kickback or anything, I just thought it may be of general interest to see it go bang.

Here's a video I shot of it doing just that, going bang:

Videos are about 15 seconds long each. Hope you enjoy.

Guitar Slinger

Interesting... I've seen over-under percussion guns, but they had a lock on each side of the gun, and the lower barrel lock was upside down.

Interesting... I've seen over-under percussion guns, but they had a lock on each side of the gun, and the lower barrel lock was upside down.

I've seen some percussions as you've mentioned. I've seen some with home garage looking actions that worked but were not pleasing to the eye.

This has 2 flintlocks side by side but the way he makes the breech blocks is why they go off so darn fast. After putting quite a few rounds down range, I can attest to the face there is no noticeable difference in lock time top barrel to bottom barrel. He also has the mainsprings mounted on the outside of the locks to keep the rifle thin.

Intriguing design I thought some may like to see in action.

GS.

Interesting concept. Guess I am just old school tho. My vision of a flinter is a single long graceful barrel

with great lines, and a an accurate barrel. Fancy stock would not hurt either. :)

Love my longrifles!! In fact, I build them as a hobby (and sell one now and then to support other habits).

While over/under is not for everyone a hunter wanting a quick follow up shot or a hunter wanting one upland game gun (rifle for squirrels and shotgun for rabbits or birds), this is a pretty cool concept.

Not giving up my longrifles but I can see the attraction here and thought the engineering behind making it was pretty cool.

GS.

Archived