SASS Wire Forum

For Sale: Colt Frontier Scout 22mag cylinder

Henry Heck

I recently purchased a Frontier Scout from a friend who had picked it up at auction. Come to find out, it's a 22LR barrel, and has a 22 mag cylinder in it. Neither of us have shot the revolver, so it came from the auction that way. At any rate, the cylinder doesn't do me much good, so going to sell it to cover some of the expense of a 22LR cylinder considering the revolver seems undamaged.

Cylinder is is great shape mechanically. Cosmetically, it's an odd glossy battleship gray color. Not sure if nickel does that or if it's some coating on it from Colt. I know they made some two-tone Scouts, might be a coated cylinder from one of those. It's definitely for a Frontier Scout, timing is dead on in my revolver. Mine's just not a convertible.

Has a discolored mark on one chamber (pictured) due to being stored for a long time with that chamber over the forcing cone.

$160 shipped, or swap even up for a 22LR cylinder (blued or nickel, no difference to me)

Faster to reach me at arctic33@live.com

IMG_0855_zps0bdb25f1.jpg

IMG_0846_zps7fa9c65b.jpg

The barel is correct. The cylinder wil work in your pistol. Just have to pony up for Mag ammo.

I personally would prefer a 22lr cylinder for plinking. Easier on that aluminum frame...

Yes the barrel is correct. The cylinder is wrong. That's why the cylinder is for sale, and the barrel gets to stay. It's a 22LR barrel, not a 22CAL barrel. Much like the Single Six, some swing both ways, some don't. But hey, thanks for playing,

Howdy,

A .22lr cyl is on gunbroker now 125 bin of 150.

And its very possible that gun could work with 22 mag also.

For just a little more you might be able to buy a whole colt?

I bought a colt 22 at an auction myself.

By the time I was done fixing it, I could have bought a Ruger single six new.

Best

CR

Henry, hope you didn`t take offense.

I have several Scouts and yes, the convertibles are marked 22 cal.

I actually did the same thing you did. I bought a Scout Duotone at an auction with the mag cylinder and it actually shot very well with that cylinder as there is only a couple of thousandths difference in the two bullets. I believe it measures .224. However Colt would probably not recommend a steady diet of Mag ammo.

I finally did procure a 22lr cylinder and it became one of my favorite hiking guns. I found a cylinder on Ebay for a $100 in nice shape.

Good luck.

Yes the barrel is correct. The cylinder is wrong. That's why the cylinder is for sale, and the barrel gets to stay. It's a 22LR barrel, not a 22CAL barrel. Much like the Single Six, some swing both ways, some don't. But hey, thanks for playing,

Some 35 years ago, I wrote to Colt inquiring about a .22 LR cylinder for a Frontier Scout I have, and this is exactly what they said. If it's marked .22 lr, it's .22 lr ONLY, and if it's marked .22 Cal, then it's a convertible. So, I assume the barrels are indeed different.

There's about .002 difference in the barrels (same as the Single Sixes). The forcing cones are also different (easy way to tell, actually.) The 22LR cone is flat, the 22CAL (22mag) cone is rounded. It's enough difference that I'm not going to stress and possibly damage a perfectly good revolver because I'm impatient. I'll break even on the cylinders and only be $250 into the Scout eventually. Aside from the wrong cylinder being in it, it's in pretty good shape for a shooter. I probably wouldn't have bought a commemorative Colt as a woods gun(it's a Wyoming Diamond Jubilee) but I'm liking the nickel/blue thing and think it'll be a fine little revolver to deal with pests.

And hell, I'm not offended. The Wire is probably the most friendly, helpful forum I've ever visited, and I wish I was a more regular visitor. Got out of the cowboy thing a while back and already got the itch to get back into it. 90% of that itch is the community.

There's about .002 difference in the barrels (same as the Single Sixes). The forcing cones are also different (easy way to tell, actually.) The 22LR cone is flat, the 22CAL (22mag) cone is rounded. It's enough difference that I'm not going to stress and possibly damage a perfectly good revolver because I'm impatient. I'll break even on the cylinders and only be $250 into the Scout eventually. Aside from the wrong cylinder being in it, it's in pretty good shape for a shooter. I probably wouldn't have bought a commemorative Colt as a woods gun(it's a Wyoming Diamond Jubilee) but I'm liking the nickel/blue thing and think it'll be a fine little revolver to deal with pests.

And hell, I'm not offended. The Wire is probably the most friendly, helpful forum I've ever visited, and I wish I was a more regular visitor. Got out of the cowboy thing a while back and already got the itch to get back into it. 90% of that itch is the community.

If you wind up with that little money in it then that`s way ahead of the curve. They are actually increasing every time I go to my local collector show. Going rate is usually around $500 or more depending on condition. The Peacemaker and New Frontier 22 models are also really hot now.

Archived