SASS Wire Forum

Malcolm short rifle scope

Red Cent

I am considering installing a Malcom scope on my Marlin 38-55. Research shows the scope is decent but the worry are the rings and bases. Reading the reviews shows that the rings and bases are badly made. I suppose the reviews mean rough but are functional. The reviews also state that the elevation adjustment is not sufficient for long range competition.

Around these parts, three clubs are shooting at 100 and 200 yards. That would be all the distance/elevation I would need. I am aware of the DZ rings and bases but the price is discouraging. Before I would pay for the DZ rings and bases (plus the scope), I would buy a very good tang sight for about 1/2 the price.

Anybody have experiences with the any of the Malcolm scope setups and what distances you shoot?

I have the long Malcolm 30" scope for a hiwall. The scope itself is great but the mounts themselfs suck big time. I invested alot of time and money to make it work and so far it hasn't been fruitful, the so called optional fine ajustments ( $ 70 ) isn't so fine and the screws are metric if you have to replace them. I haven't had much help with the company either ( seems like the tech is always out to lunch ) so now I'm trying to justify the cost of MVA's mounts which will require a pope rib ( another $70 from Hilux ) are first class.

rusty barrels, what distance can you obtain with elevation adjustments?

Hello Red Cent. I have two 18" 6X Leatherwood Malcolm's. One is on a hiwall 1885 45-70 and the other on a lowall 1885 45 Colt. Both scopes are fine, but the rings were junk and were replaced with DZ's. Yep, DZ's are expensive, but they work!!

Of course, the lowall is relatively short range so no issue at all with adjustment range. I've shot the hiwall to 600 yards and still have pleanty of elevation adustment left. I expect that is as far as I will ever need. If you should run out of elevation in your particular application, it is easy to shim up the rear base. However, if your max range is only 200 yards, I doubt you would have any problem.

TR

I've only been shooting 200 yds because I can't seem to keep the mounts dialed in. As others have pointed out MVAs mounts would be a good choice but expensive and you still have to order a pope rib to make it work,if I'm not mistaken DZ is not period correct.

Lumpy, those things are very pricey!!

".....if I'm not mistaken DZ is not period correct."

Now that gives me mixed emotions. You know, like the mother-in-law going over the cliff in my Cadilac. I guess that saves me 4-500 dollars.

Very good read Roy B. And the manufacturing of the rings was really interesting. Are they acceptable in a "sanctioned" long range match?

Question. Could a Malcom long scope be mounted on the Marlin 336? If I was satisfied with 400-500 yards max elevation would it work?

Lumpy, those things are very pricey!!

".....if I'm not mistaken DZ is not period correct."

Now that gives me mixed emotions. You know, like the mother-in-law going over the cliff in my Cadilac. I guess that saves me 4-500 dollars.

Make'n the best, comes with a price.

I can tell you this-They are worth every penny. ;)

MVA, stands behind their stuff too--

OLG

Archived