SASS Wire Forum

Rocky boots, ugh! not again!

have two pair of Rocky hunting boots that the soles have turned to crumbs. I looked up reiviews and this isn't a small problem...

I'll have them repaired locally, but no new Rockys for me!!!

Well, don't feel so smug, Culpepper. I lost the tread on both of my favorite fishing shoes yesterday.

Blew out both like a flip flop. Hate it when ya have to fish bare footed in the dead of winter.

Rockies just aren't the same since they started making them overseas. When my wife worked in their factory they were made a lot better. (Although the glue they used to attach the soles was still worthless.)

I'll stick to Timberlands.

I have two old pair of Rockies. They're great. But I would be very leery about getting new ones.

I liked Lake of the Woods and Chippewa when I could get 'em and before all of my foot and ankle problems. I'm modifying a pair of Carolina lineman's boots for outdoor stuff not related th CAS.

Rocky, Wolverine, Ariat, Georgia Boot, they all fall apart for me. Usually after a year. Ariats last me 3-6 months. Most comfortable but absolutely SUCK! Their warranty is useless.

Guess I will be going back to Red Wing........

Guest Milo Talon SASS #23163

Been wearing Justin work boots for 10 years .Really like them. Get about a year out of each pair.

Went to Boot Barn last week, Justins were 170 bucks. Cheaped out and bought Ariats for 140 and they gave me blisters. Sometimes I'm as dumb as a box of rocks.

Rockies used to be made in Nelsonville.

(Athens County. I used to be from there too!)

Taxes drove their manufacture first to the Bahamas, then to Red China.

The original Rockies were good boots. Loved 'em.

My experience with the current variety mirrors your own.

The sole is closed cell foam dipped in a magic shell of some kind. The shell flakes away and the inner sole crumbles, and when I took my still-good uppers in to be resoled, I was told the Rocky soles are bonded, not stitched, and no repair to them.

Never again.

I've never owned a pair of Rockies. I thought about getting a pair, then found they had moved out of Nelsonville. I have a pair of Justin work boots that I have owned for years, but I don't wear them anywhere near daily. When I deployed, I got a pair of Altama boots and they held up very well to daily wear. I still have them and will throw them on when I need to. The only problem I have with them is that the surface of the sole is now very worn and actually slick, and I don't believe they can be resoled. Other guys swore by Danner, but they are pricier.

I really like my Red Wing boots. I've got three pairs and they hold up fine and are comfortable.

I have three pairs of White's "Packers" made in Spokane, Washington. One is black, one is brown and the other is a winter pac version. They are nearly indestructable. My black and brown riding boots are many decades old Hall's. They have a life time guarantee and are many decades old, and have been rebuilt, resoled, etc. My boots are all very comfortable. I do not tolerate cheapass boots.

Over the decades, my expensive boots have proven to actually be very reasonable on a year to year basis.

Another excellent boot company is Schnee's of Montana. They also make "Packers".

I wear Timberland at work, they last a year or so, but we have a very wet (paper mill) work environment. If I actually took care of them they'd last much longer. I usually get rid of them for stink instead of worn out. I've never tried Merrell boots, but I wear their sneakers whenever I'm not at work. They last a LONG time. I may give the boots a try next time.

I'm currently on a day job, and not involved in the operation process nearly as much, so I wear Converse steel toed shoes. They are about 3 years old and very comfortable.

I tried Rockies many years ago, they never stayed waterproof more than a month or so.

The toughest boot I ever had was a pair of Justin? Boarhides. But it was also the heaviest boot I ever wore, I didn't like them for that reason. Back then we would walk on baled cardboard, cutting the wires with bolt cutters. Those boots never even got scratched by cut wire ends.

Red Wings for me. I can get about 10 years out of a pair until the soles wear out, Then I buy a new pair and resole the old ones.

I had heard of Rocky's problems but thought they had replaced the sole material, but that was about 5-7 years ago.

Been wearing Rocky boots for years. Just retired with over 30 years at Postal Service. Vendors come in several times a year and offer many different makers of boots and shoes. Rocky outsells them all. Mail carriers put tons of miles on them and then buy another pair of same style. Only thing I've ever worn out is soles and that takes a long time.

The same thing happened with Olathe Boots. They moved production from Olathe Kansas to mexico. I still have one pair of the original boots. The ones made south of the border didn't weight 2/3rds of the originals (because of the cheap thin leather) and the longevity of them was even less.

Now I buy Boulet from Canada for both regular CB Boots and Packers for work boots.

I don't want to hear as an salesman ambassador of my country... but Why not ask to the near Mexican you know if you know one where you can buy a pair of León Guanajuato boots? some quality reconize sucks, but generally are cheap but fine artesanal boots that can make resist a whole journey of thug work in the outlands; Personally I don't like so much the fancy ones with much color and rare forms, but I have a pair of Roper or Engineer that use all the days since 2 years ago and only the shoe insole was replaced, but otherwise only looks a Little dusty and aged but can resist very well an excursión to the outlands of my city; try to find one artesanal wonders of León Guanajuato, I recomend that. ;)

https://www.google.com/search?q=botas+vaqueras+leon&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=gqmPVLOOLojfyASs0IGADA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1360&bih=599#tbm=isch&q=botas+vaqueras+le%C3%B3n+guanajuato

Archived