SASS Wire Forum

Question for you 73 Aficionados out there

Not being new to C.A.S but being green on the 73s because I shot Marlins for so long. I got a question to ask. I ordered a full race ready Taylors/Uberti 73 in .357 from Pioneer Gun Works. One thing I noticed is when loading the rifle with two or more rounds, the round that ends up in the bottom of the carrier seems to be cockeyed with the back of the case leaning to the loading gate side. It seems to do this because the carrier has a relief cut to clear the round when loading. When levering the action for the first time, It hangs up a bit so I got to work the lever kind of hard when I start shooting. The other rounds in the mag tube seem enter the carrier just fine after that. The stop tab on the loading gate is there and I do have a sleeve in the mag tube. My C.O.L is 1.510 using .38s. It does have an aluminum PGW carrier and it does this with 105 and 127 grain bullets from Badman. Is this normal? I thought I would ask you all so I know what Im talking about if I need to call Joe about this. Thanks in advance...

Use your little finger on the last round loaded and push it in a little further.

This is a common but infrequent problem with 73's. A little bit of file work on the inside by a 73 gunsmith cures it.

The suggestions by outrider can also resolve the problem.

Johnny Meadows

I have the 38 insert and it does not fix that problem because the round you are referring to never comes in contact with the insert. When you load the gun the bullet goes in on an angle. So you just need to straiten the last round with your finger as Johnny said . It was years before I ever noticed it so I not sure it matters. But I beat the crap out if mine.

Quite easy to fix this problem yourself. It's caused by incomplete beveling of the frame where the window for loading the mag tube is cut through the back wall of the carrier shaft.

Here's an article with pictures of how to fix the "loading gate mortise lack of bevel" problem.

http://www.dorseyfoto.com/73/73fix.htm

This was a VERY common problem about 8 years ago with Uberti 73s. Maybe that fellow got reassigned back to the frame milling operations again.

Has nothing to do with the strength/length of the mag spring. Cutting the mag spring short enough to "solve" the problem can make it very weak when feeding in the last round left in the mag tube.

It's not DIRECTLY caused by .38spl being so much smaller than the mag tube - because .45 Colt (which fills the mag tube) can have the same problem. Two of mine did. And a couple of 44-40s did.

Although you can "work around" the problem by pushing and straightening the round in the gun - if you throw your loaded gun down on the staging table, the round in the carrier can pop back crooked. When the round gets really crooked, you will NOT be able to overpower the jam and get the first round up into the chamber. And, remembering to push it in when you finish loading is something you WILL forget. It is time to fix this, not to try to work around it. Even if all it is doing is making it hard to lever in the first round. No need to put up with that glitch!

Besides, the OP already told us:

and I do have a sleeve in the mag tube.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks guys for the response. From what I learned here, you are all correct. Looked at the link that Garrison Joe posted and it answered alot of my question. For one the rifle "does" have that bevel in the frame. Two it seems like the cocked round thats in the bottom of the carrier might be the nature of the beast. That bevel keeps the round from hanging up on a sharp edge. My problem was the bullet alignment tube and spring kit I got from Slick McClade. There were no directions that came with the tube. The problem was figured out after I emailed him and he said the spring must be cut down to leave 3 inches sticking out of the mag tube. I had 6 inches sticking out and it had to much pressure from the mag spring. The round is still cockeyed but it no longer hangs up like it did before.

The bevel may be started on the mortise, but I'll bet it's not cut far and smooth enough. Every 73 I've worked, if that bevel is not cut far enough, the round in the carrier cocks out toward the loading gate side. It CAN be fixed.

Good luck, GJ

I bought a uberti '73 last year in 45 colt that did something pretty similar to what you describe. Mine was locked up, but I never tried to force the lever. I figured out if I pushed up on the brass block when I was done loading it worked fine. I asked around to see if it was common, and no one else had ever heard of such a thing. I did it for about 2 matches and now I don't need to do it anymore, so I assumed it was a rough edges / break in issue.

Heres a link for some more info on this I found on Pioneer Gunworks web site. >> http://www.pioneergunworks.com/uploads/Model_66___73_Frame_Mod.pdf

I have a 1873 Uberti Trapper and have used it in at least 10 matches. I noticed a hicup ever so often but did not think much about it until last week. I had to double clutch the lever all most every time to get the cartridges to feed. Yesterday I took it apart and sure enough the bevel was started but not as deep as the pictures on the Pioneer website and very ruff. Now it works great!

I have a 1873 Uberti Trapper and have used it in at least 10 matches. I noticed a hicup ever so often but did not think much about it until last week. I had to double clutch the lever all most every time to get the cartridges to feed. Yesterday I took it apart and sure enough the bevel was started but not as deep as the pictures on the Pioneer website and very ruff. Now it works great!

Thats awesome Ace. Glad to hear someone else got a problem figured out like I did..

Archived