SASS Wire Forum

Carrier mods to throw brass to rear FIXED!

Yusta B.

My '73 throws brass just past the end of the barrel, which is usually sticking out a stage window. Any tips to reshape it for more rearward dispensing of empties?

Thanks in advance .....

Fix(on MY rifle) I removed the retainer screw & the clip that keeps the dust cover on. That allowed the brass to be ejected at least straight up and sometimes just a little rearward. I then ground about 10 to 15 thousandths off the front of the clip & reinstalled it. EUREKA ! The brass no longer goes forward.

Of course YMMV

very carefully file the curve at the back of the carrier,,, make it a lil wider,,, if you want it to go left or right take a lil off that side...

mine go onto my hat, good for lost brass matches when I shoot the 44-40

if you want it straight back take the same of each side,,,carefully!! and test with m/ts

very carefully file the curve at the back of the carrier,,, make it a lil wider,,, if you want it to go left or right take a lil off that side...

mine go onto my hat, good for lost brass matches when I shoot the 44-40

if you want it straight back take the same of each side,,,carefully!! and test with m/ts

Gracias CC

Don't know about filing, but don't stick your rifle through the prop windows or doors, stand back a little, and make it easier on the brass pickers....

gsd

The brass pickers seem to do a fine job getting what they can reach in a reasonable time, they aren't the problem. Taking the time to pick up a rifle, move back, shoot the string, move forward & re-stage the rifle and go to the next gun is the problem. Takes time to do the extra moving. I'd like to mod the rifle, if possible & not worry about the extra movement. I'm slow enough without the extra traveling. :P

I've learned to stand back when shooting my Marlin. It throws the brass somewhat forward also, and there's little that can be done to a Marlin to correct this. However, just take a step backward when you pick the rifle up, and the brass will fall inside the windows and doors, where it can be easily picked up.

RBK

Hey Yusta B.

I only get about half of my brass anyhow, regardless of where it gets thrown. I got to shoot with Pinewood and his bride on Sunday. We had alot of fun. Hope you are doing well.

Assassin

Hey Yusta B.

I only get about half of my brass anyhow, regardless of where it gets thrown. I got to shoot with Pinewood and his bride on Sunday. We had alot of fun. Hope you are doing well.

Assassin

Miss shootin with the all the northern cowpokes a bunch. Maybe I can make it back to Return of the Buffalo next year. Say hi to Belle & enjoy the holidays!

I changed to 38s for a vast majority of my SASS shooting, and Marlins at that.... so I've bought up a lot of brass!! I don't worry about the brass!! take the time to position myself to keep the brass, not on your life!!! now, if you don't care about running sub 20s, ok. But not if you wanna try to run with the big dogs!!!

I've been considering soldering little parachutes or flags or life preservers to my 32-20 brass. Just naked I'll get 70% or less back on every stage. Sometimes a lot less.

A gentleman at our monthly shoot had put a double layer of good duct tape on the top of his carrier where it is scalloped out. It made his brass pop straight up.

A gentleman at our monthly shoot had put a double layer of good duct tape on the top of his carrier where it is scalloped out. It made his brass pop straight up.

I'll have to try that. Gracias

If it works I'm going to try a dollop of wood glue to build up rather than grind off.

I put 3 thin layers of duct tape on the left 'scollop' & the brass is ejected more vertically. It also leaves a slight impression from the brass rim toward the rear of the tape. I may play with a little JB in that area & see what I come up with.

Just curious (and I am glad the op found a solution), but why does it matter?

Is it simply for brass recovery or am I missing something?

My 73 sends the brass significantly forward (my rifle brass is often somewhere near the pistol targets) and other than brass pickup, I can't think of a disadvantage.

Just curious (and I am glad the op found a solution), but why does it matter?

Is it simply for brass recovery or am I missing something?

My 73 sends the brass significantly forward (my rifle brass is often somewhere near the pistol targets) and other than brass pickup, I can't think of a disadvantage.

Just for brass pick up.

Around here. VERY few stages have berms.

Just one long firing line.

So if it goes forward. It's gone.

You don't get any rifle brass back.

Archived