SASS Wire Forum

hand spring mod to coil

El Muerto Negro

Hello,

So I have had more then one flat hand spring brake on me on my colts and colt clone. I see Long Hunter does a mod to a coil spring. What has been your experience pros and con's? Does it give the gun a different feel? Any information.

EMN

I followed Pettifoggers instructions and have done all of my Colt clones with the coil and plunger. Not as difficult as you might think and it takes one more weak point in the 1860 engineering out of play.

I've done it to my 1860s, 1861s and conversions. Love it, no known drawbacks in 3 years and it feels smoother. I highly recommend it.

I followed Pettifoggers instructions and have done all of my Colt clones with the coil and plunger. Not as difficult as you might think and it takes one more weak point in the 1860 engineering out of play.

Do you have a link to those instructions?

The coil and plunger I used are Ruger parts. Pawl spring & plunger, for Vaquero and similar guns.

Got them from Brownell's.

Do you have a link to those instructions?

Try here

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

With Noz' help, I have four pair of my C&Bs done. Work great.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Hello,

So I have had more then one flat hand spring brake on me on my colts and colt clone. I see Long Hunter does a mod to a coil spring. What has been your experience pros and con's? Does it give the gun a different feel? Any information.

EMN

I wouldn't have done it to 4 COLT SAAs (3 3rd gens and a 2nd gen), an older ASM clone (Uberti clone came that way), 3 COLT 1851 2nd gens, and another ASM 1851 made in 1985 if it wasn't worth while! Since having the first one done, I haven't broken a hand spring since 1987. And regret it not one whit! That was on the ASM 1851, I then had my Colt SAA done a few weeks later, and each of the others as they came into my possession. The 1851 Colt 2nd gen guns and 2 of the Colt SAAs were brand new guns when I had 'em done. It is the ONE mod that you SHOULD do.

If you do them... I recommend using a Ruger plunger and polishing the back of the stock hand...

Try here

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_One.pdf

http://www.theopenrange.net/articles/Tuning_the_Pietta_Part_Two.pdf

With Noz' help, I have four pair of my C&Bs done. Work great.

Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee

Noz also broke a drill bit off in one of Fingers' guns and he had to take it to a machinist to get it out.

Noz also broke a drill bit off in one of Fingers' guns and he had to take it to a machinist to get it out.

Twernt no big deal.

Fingers (you didn't have to fess up) McGee

Twernt no big deal.

Fingers (you didn't have to fess up) McGee

I never heard that story!! One more reason to drill hands rather than frames!!

I've never had a flat hand spring fail. But I've cursed the rice grain size plunger and spring and minute set screw every time I've taken the hammer out. Uberti models, I'm talking about. I don't know nothing about Rugers.

If I could redesign the system, I would make it so the blasted miniature parts didn't fly out when hammer and hand was pulled out of the frame. Looks like they could have made the retaining set screw about twice as large.

I've never had a flat hand spring fail. But I've cursed the rice grain size plunger and spring and minute set screw every time I've taken the hammer out. Uberti models, I'm talking about. I don't know nothing about Rugers.

If I could redesign the system, I would make it so the blasted miniature parts didn't fly out when hammer and hand was pulled out of the frame. Looks like they could have made the retaining set screw about twice as large.

I had wear marks in my hand from where the plunger spring was too tight , so I trimmed the spring it doesn't take a lot of pressure to hold the hand in place.

I only had to go looking for the plunger once after that I made sure I moved slow and paid attention .

I changed out 4 stock hammers for Runnin Iron hammers so I got real practiced at being careful to remove the plunger assemply - having to do it 5 times. (I was paying so much attention to the plunger assembly, I reinstalled an old hammer instead of a new Runnin Irons hammer.)

Getting the parts out and not loosing them is the easier half of the job. Getting them picked up and reinstalled takes some steady hands and good vision. Putting the screw back in takes the skill of a jeweler. I couldn't do it. Each one I had to call Mary over and I'd hold the gun at best angle while she got the screw started. The key was to find a screwdriver that the screw would stick onto the blade.

For me, on my uberti 1851 Navy's, it was easier for me to make new flat springs out of better stuff than

the wimpy factory originals....I made 'em wider (same width as the thickness of the hand) and so far

after about 9 years after I did it, no further breakeage or problems with 'em..

At least there are no "surprises" when I pull 'em apart for detailed cleaning up...no springs or plungers popping out

and getting lost, etc.

I just hate it when that happens....

Bp

Archived