SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 to cut or not to cut...............

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Took the wood off and shot it on 5 stages today at the Rockford Old Coot shoot. What a pleasure to shoot a nice running 97'. I'm gonna keep it. 30" ran find but the winter stages are mostly stand and deliver and I do not want to negotiate windows with the current barrel length. Just not sure what I will cut it to when I do.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have two - both are 1911 vintage , one cylinder bore the other full , i am contemplating shortening one - the full because of condition , i want to shoot it in replacement of my double coach , ill keep the second as is for cowboy trap sidematches and such , im just not sure what length to go ,

well Deuce,

after reading and considering the business and Professional experience of Phantom, I honestly think I would weigh heavy on his opinions and advice concerning the cutting of this particular SG.

And because I already have a few other 97's set up for CAS, I would leave it as is, oil this baby up alittle and use it sparingly in some matches and maybe Cowboy clays competition.

Its a beautiful SG. Congratulations on being able to get it in your possession.

..........Widder

Took the wood off and shot it on 5 stages today at the Rockford Old Coot shoot. What a pleasure to shoot a nice running 97'. I'm gonna keep it. 30" ran find but the winter stages are mostly stand and deliver and I do not want to negotiate windows with the current barrel length. Just not sure what I will cut it to when I do.

Good for you young man it is nice shoot gun hope you will enjoy it for along time I still want to shoot it

If you decide to not cut it email me and I'll send you some pics of a $10 homemade fixture to raise that dent.

I am one of those that see the 97 as a pawn shop staple. Before the CAS game every pawn shop had one for about $100. I know this because in my travels I stopped at everyone and bought them up, cut them to CAs length and resold them. When the model 12's came out they cut into the 97 sales. You can see that in the production numbers. But, even the M12's don't command the high resale anymore.

If it weren't for CAS your gun would be a $300 gun at best. But, for CAS the best thing going with yours is it is in good shape and is a late production gun. That is important because we run them hard. The metal is much better than any of the pre-war guns. So it will hold up better.

If you decide to not cut it email me and I'll send you some pics of a $10 homemade fixture to raise that dent.

I am one of those that see the 97 as a pawn shop staple. Before the CAS game every pawn shop had one for about $100. I know this because in my travels I stopped at everyone and bought them up, cut them to CAs length and resold them. When the model 12's came out they cut into the 97 sales. You can see that in the production numbers. But, even the M12's don't command the high resale anymore.

If it weren't for CAS your gun would be a $300 gun at best. But, for CAS the best thing going with yours is it is in good shape and is a late production gun. That is important because we run them hard. The metal is much better than any of the pre-war guns. So it will hold up better.

And of course...25 years ago...before SASS...you could get Pythons...Troopers...Pan Heads...etc,etc...for a lot less then today.

Besides, why say what the 97 would be worth if not for CAS? That would be like saying the Carcano that shot Kennedy would be worth 100 bucks if Kennedy's assasination never happened.

...but those things did happen...logic is a funny thing.

:wacko:

And of course...25 years ago...before SASS...you could get Pythons...Troopers...Pan Heads...etc,etc...for a lot less then today.

Besides, why say what the 97 would be worth if not for CAS? That would be like saying the Carcano that shot Kennedy would be worth 100 bucks if Kennedy's assasination never happened.

...but those things did happen...logic is a funny thing.

If you think it's worth it and would like to preserve that history yourself instead of trying to get others to do it, offer him about $1200 . I'm sure you both will be happy. :lol:

If you think it's worth it and would like to preserve that history yourself instead of trying to get others to do it, offer him about $1200 . I'm sure you both will be happy. :lol:

Well...that's an interesting and well thought out idea.

But hey...like I'm from California so what do I know.

Well, I don't know about the present day cost of a super nice and kinda rare (w/long barrel) original Winchester 97, but this I do know:

My first S&W model 41 semi auto .22 target pistol........ $140

My first Hi Standard VICTOR, .22 auto ................. $200

My first PYTHON ................ $250 and the finish on it looked like black chrome.

I even had a real nice Browning semiauto .22 I bought for about $160.

AND, my first Marlin 39M (Mountie). Short barrel with straight stock. New for less than $200, I just don't remember the actual cost.

Sure which I kept all of them.

..........Widder

i have two - both are 1911 vintage , one cylinder bore the other full , i am contemplating shortening one - the full because of condition , i want to shoot it in replacement of my double coach , ill keep the second as is for cowboy trap sidematches and such , im just not sure what length to go ,

Just a suggestion, but you might consider keeping the full choke gun uncut for Cowboy Trap. You will probably break more targets with a full choke than a cylinder bore. At standard Trap distances, a cylinder bore will spread the pattern out too much and leave too many holes in the pattern. At least that is my experience and I have won quite a few Cowboy Trap competitions with my full choked 30" 97.

Deuce, If you keep the barrel the way it is Bill has an awesome hydrolic dent remover. I've seen him take some dents out of old doubles that I didn't think would come out. Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that has cut down more than one unfired take down 97, If you don't cut it the next guy will. I could always get more money out of them cut versus uncut.

My 97 is a 32 inch barrel. The reason I have never cut it is that it was my father's best friends shotgun that his friends wife gave to him upon his friends death. It became mine on my fathers death. Honoring those who are no longer with us is good enough reason to leave it long!

Archived