SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1897 to cut or not to cut...............

Deuce Stevens SASS#55996

Bought a 1956 E Model 97' and it of course is a million plus serial number. Nicest one I've ever held let alone owned. As you can see form the vid the gun is in wonderful condition. There is a small dent on the right side of the barrel at about 22". I bought this because I wanted a really really nice original to cowboy shoot. I will not compete with this gun at it's current length. So I have a choice to make to cut or not to cut. Let me say I have no moral issues with cutting it down. Some believe they are simply the stewards of these fine old guns and they should be kept original, that ain't me. I paid hard earned cash for it and it's mine. But I'm willing to listen to arguments good or bad before it meets the band saw, you may just change my mind. Let it rip boys and girls.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it has a dent in the barrel ,You might as well cut it to make it usable.Or you could try to find another barrel that is already cut and use that.Would probably be easier to cut it.

Makes zero sense to put another barrel on it...if you consider doing that, just cut the original barrel.

For me, since there are so many out there...and the fact that I own a bunch, I'd put that in my 97 collection as a wonderful example of a late model 97. It's not a question of value/collectability/etc, but more a question about having a fine example that can be maintained in you family...for you kid's to have in 50 years...saying "look at the cool SG that Grandpa bought way back in 2014".

And by the way, this will teach ya for buying such a nice gun ;)

Phantom

Deuce,

the mere fact that you are asking a bunch of 'Sawed Off Pards' tells me that you must already be leaning towards the 'Cut It' crowd.

Ifn it were mine, I would have already put the blade to it.

p.s. - Nice buy. And Merry Christmas!

..........Widder

Here are your options. If a pristine '97 were worth that much you wouldn't have been able to afford it. So cut it and use it. Maybe it is "new" enough that it will run like a champ for years.

Or

You could make it a safe queen and your grandkids will sell it in a garage sale for half of what you paid for it. :)

L

PS I bought a pristine '97 made in 1958 out of Michigan. It took three trips and two gunsmiths to get it running right. I finally gave up on it. Hope your experience is better.

Here are your options. If a pristine '97 were worth that much you wouldn't have been able to afford it. So cut it and use it. Maybe it is "new" enough that it will run like a champ for years.

Or

You could make it a safe queen and your grandkids will sell it in a garage sale for half of what you paid for it. :)

L

I think that's not a fair statement...safe queen. There are many of us that perserve guns...some in safes, some on display in gun rooms.

And to sell the kids short like that is pretty sad.

Duece, cutting it is not the end of the world. But there are a lot of well used and yet in excellent working condition 97's out there.

Cheers!

Phantom

Bought a 1956 E Model 97' and it of course is a million plus serial number. Nicest one I've ever held let alone owned. As you can see form the vid the gun is in wonderful condition. There is a small dent on the right side of the barrel at about 22". I bought this because I wanted a really really nice original to cowboy shoot. I will not compete with this gun at it's current length. So I have a choice to make to cut or not to cut. Let me say I have no moral issues with cutting it down. Some believe they are simply the stewards of these fine old guns and they should be kept original, that ain't me. I paid hard earned cash for it and it's mine. But I'm willing to listen to arguments good or bad before it meets the band saw, you may just change my mind. Let it rip boys and girls.

Duece

I know of a professional restorer in Fulton,IL that can take that dent out like you would never know it was there. If you would like his info let me know and I will get it to you. I have a friend who has taken a couple of high end Parkers to him and he does work for Rock Island Auction House as well.

Marlin

Seems to me there was a guy on the wire not to long ago talking about this great 97 he was about to buy and then chop the barrel. Where's that alter ego when you need it. CUT IT

I have pretty much the same thing in NRA excellent condition that I pick'd up in Wyoming a couple of years ago.

It was lightly used and very well cared for.

It's still as it was made.

IMHO, it's YOUR property, so it your choice.

OLG

I have a 16 gage I just could not put the saw to....Yul Loose sold me

another already cut barrel and it fit perfect ...love to shoot it now.

and still have the best of both worlds.

I have a 16 gage I just could not put the saw to....Yule Loose sold me

another already cut barrel and it fit perfect ...love to shoot it now.

and still have the best of both worlds.

Except for the fact that other then the original barrel, everything is getting beat to h377.

In the end, you'll end up with a nice original barrel on a beat up 97.

Don't understand the logic there.

Phantom

I'd say cut it. As has been stated, 97's aren't considered a collectors firearm. If it weren't for us cowboy plinkers, they'd be worth nothing. The only exception would be the Black Diamond version. So, my take; If you want one to add to a collection in order to add value to that collection, find the black diamond version. All others are shooters. Even the ones in excellent shape.

Wanting a 97 to preserve, collect, and keep original is admirable and a worthwhile project, but the Black Diamond is the one you want. Shoot and enjoy the others. Cut the barrel and make it a contender, Deuce.

I'd say cut it. As has been stated, 97's aren't considered a collectors firearm. If it weren't for us cowboy plinkers, they'd be worth nothing. The only exception would be the Black Diamond version. So, my take; If you want one to add to a collection in order to add value to that collection, find the black diamond version. All others are shooters. Even the ones in excellent shape.

Wanting a 97 to preserve, collect, and keep original is admirable and a worthwhile project, but the Black Diamond is the one you want. Shoot and enjoy the others. Cut the barrel and make it a contender, Deuce.

Really...and model 12's have value because?

And of course the 2-barrel sets, Riot and Trench versions are worthless...

ANY gun in excellent condition that is no longer made...that was an iconic gun...is valuable. To think that it would be worthless if not for CAS is giving FAR to much credit to CAS. Please, if you have some kind of expertise in gun collecting, please let us know.

Phantom

It's a tough call to make. The fact is, "There're plenty more just like it!" May be true, but where are they? I don't think there ARE that many excellent examples out there, and the price of '97's keeps accelerating. There are tools made to remove shotgun barrel dents. The argument to replace the barrel with another that' either already cut or in a lesser condition is invalid for the reason already stated, but also for two other reasons:

-- The Barrel Chamber Ring is "matched," or aligned with the Barrel and could be an issue if you simply attach another barrel and the alignment is off enough to be responsible for extraction problems. The ring can be adjusted or honed to match the new barrel, but try finding someone to do it if you cannot and it becomes as. Issue.

-- Putting an old barrel onto the frame of your ca. 1956 example could be responsible for slop on the front end, since there'll be more wear on the older barrel threads. This could be responsible for accelerated wear on your 1956 frame. Smart thing to do with a '97 is to NEVER remove the barrel from the frame (as long as you're shooting smokeless) unless it's required for some unusual reason. That will lessen wear on those big buttress threads.

Anyway. To cut or not. I can make valid arguments for or against and you'll have to decide.

Really...and model 12's have value because?

And of course the 2-barrel sets, Riot and Trench versions are worthless...

ANY gun in excellent condition that is no longer made...that was an iconic gun...is valuable. To think that it would be worthless if not for CAS is giving FAR to much credit to CAS. Please, if you have some kind of expertise in gun collecting, please let us know.

Phantom

This isn't a thread about Model 12's

the model 97 is an excellent shotgun for what we do and is a well built but modified design stemming from the 93 and therefore not considered an "Iconic" shotgun by any authority. That includes the NRA and Wannenmacher vendors and hosts.

I never said that the black diamond was the ONLY collectible version, it's just THE collectible version. I also never said the others are worthless. No reason to put words in my mouth, there are plenty in there already.

I do agree with the three digit serial number being a factor. So does provenance. If the gun was owned by Roosevelt, I'd not cut it !

It's a tough call to make. The fact is, "There're plenty more just like it!" May be true, but where are they? I don't think there ARE that many excellent examples out there, and the price of '97's keeps accelerating. There are tools made to remove shotgun barrel dents. The argument to replace the barrel with another that' either already cut or in a lesser condition is invalid for the reason already stated, but also for two other reasons:

-- The Barrel Chamber Ring is "matched," or aligned with the Barrel and could be an issue if you simply attach another barrel and the alignment is off enough to be responsible for extraction problems. The ring can be adjusted or honed to match the new barrel, but try finding someone to do it if you cannot and it becomes as. Issue.

-- Putting an old barrel onto the frame of your ca. 1956 example could be responsible for slop on the front end, since there'll be more wear on the older barrel threads. This could be responsible for accelerated wear on your 1956 frame. Smart thing to do with a '97 is to NEVER remove the barrel from the frame (as long as you're shooting smokeless) unless it's required for some unusual reason. That will lessen wear on those big buttress threads.

Anyway. To cut or not. I can make valid arguments for or against and you'll have to decide.

Blaphemy! I've been swatted on the hand for mentioning BOTH of those ideas on the wire. . . put your hand out... OUT!

8-)

IMHO, if you want to use it for cas, I would cut it. Although I am a double pard, my 16 has started a lot of kids into CAS. Luckily, it is a take down with both a long and a short barrel. However, I did cut down my take down 12 and my young students, my female newbies and my grandchildren have enjoyed a lot of fun with it. Had I not cut it, the 97 would just remain in my safe, alone and unhappy.

Blaphemy! I've been swatted on the hand for mentioning BOTH of those ideas on the wire. . . put your hand out... OUT!

8-)

OUCH!!! DAMMIT!!!! :-). ;-)

This isn't a thread about Model 12's

My Comment was in reference to the fact that you said the 97 would be worth "Nothing".

the model 97 is an excellent shotgun for what we do and is a well built but modified design stemming from the 93 and therefore not considered an "Iconic" shotgun by any authority. That includes the NRA and Wannenmacher vendors and hosts.

Oh...sure...60 years in production never would lead anyone to believe that the gun is an iconic shotgun...noooooo...and somehow stemming from the 93 is a bad thing???

I never said that the black diamond was the ONLY collectible version, it's just THE collectible version. I also never said the others are worthless. No reason to put words in my mouth, there are plenty in there already.

You said "So, my take; If you want one to add to a collection in order to add value to that collection, find the black diamond version. All others are shooters." So...whatever. :lol:

I do agree with the three digit serial number being a factor. So does provenance. If the gun was owned by Roosevelt, I'd not cut it !

Whatever...

What is the barrel length and choke??? certain combinations may, I say may, have a higher value than a cowboy gun....

such as 32" imp cyl.... there are a few odd balls out there,,,,, not I taint tawking bout Phantom either! :o:P;)

If you don't cut it , what do you have ? A nice '97 with a dented barrel.

If you do cut it, what do you have ? A nice cowboy '97 that you get to use instead of look at.

JK

Archived