SASS Wire Forum

Calling out Chickasaw Bill

My uncle lost an eardrum while manning a 4.2 in Korea. A chinese rifle grenade hit the tube a glancing blow but did not detonate. He said it was like sticking your head in Big Ben in England when it hit.

I like the 105s, tolerated the 155, despised the 175 as a joke but loved the 8" in any configuration. The 280 was awesome but it's accuracy was 2 minutes of West Germany. 600-800 pound projectile. http://www.militaryfactory.com/armor/detail.asp?armor_id=288

I was at Grafenwoehr when they fired the last mission. One round landed on the far side of the impact area and the other behind us. Both guns in the Battalion fired one round at the same time. One went over our head and our foxhole on the hill was about 14" deeper by the time the second round landed.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The concussion from firing a charge 5 white bag from an 8" was so intense that it would open your mess kit and blow out all the headlights in any truck parked closer than 100 meters. It would blow the armor panels off of the guns and the engine covers off of the APCs.

A cool thing was standing behind the guns and watching the projectile disappear down range. You could see them for a ways.

Yeah, you could see those 81s arch up but soon would lose them in the sky.

Then a few seconds later a white cloud of smoke would appear on a hillside

some distance away. As long as the flash and smoke were on a distant hillside,

all was cool. When it was next door, time to bug out had arrived.

I will never forget the demostration that was being held for some foreign officers,

at Ft. Riley. They had the 81s dug in behind the viewing stand and would fire over

the heads of the brass.

Someone had forgotten about the VT fuses on the rounds and them crossing close

to each other. Schrapnel was raining down on the stands. It didn't take long to get

a cease fire and I am supposing some young butter bar got a A$$ chewing.

We got a new lock for our howitzers. Instead of the old swing lock the new one was spring loaded and was adjustable to different positions to make it easier on the troop pulling the string. On our first firing practice, Pvt Ramerize was attempting to get his gun to fire but no matter how hard he pulled the lock was binding at his position and would not fire. The XO yelled at him to change the position of the lock so the good PVT leaned over and instead of pushing the lock down and moving it he pulled. He landed 45 feet behind the gun. A 125 pound crumpled mess of an army private. As we ran to pick up the body, he sat up and started apologizing to the XO for his mistake. It seemed he had been in solid contact with the breech when it recoiled and was bruised but did not even have a broken rib.

A few months later we began getting personel drafts from the Army taking our trained troops and sending them to Viet Nam. Instead of replacing the people, we were given stripes to award to folks to fill the holes. "A" battery got a handful of PFC stripes and decide that Pvt Ramerize had been a PVT for almost 6 years and they would promote him. He had never done anything wrong, he just wasn't very smart at all. They did so and he invited the whole battalion to come watch as he burned all of his Private uniforms. He had bought all new because he didn't want to sew PFC stripes on his Private uniforms.

Yup! Just thinking about the old days.

Going tomorrow if the river is down. It rained hard over the week end and rivers are dark and fast.

If the river is not in shape, I may try a lake nearby just for kicks and giggles.

Working up an idea for chironomids for next spring.

Sat the ice Saturday. Had a high pressure system pushing in with high wind. Slow day. Got invited in to a fish fry though! Fresh bluegills, slaw, potatos, rye bread. Great stuff. I was so tired when I was driving home that I took my five fish and dropped them at a buddies house to clean.

Going out Friday evening to see if I can do better.

HOLY CATFISH!

IT IS COLD HERE THIS MORNING!

Didn't see this coming. Rivers are probably too dark and

high to fish anyway. Might make a run at the lake if the

weather warms some. Don't know if these old hands can

take the cold though.

well , it is a tad cool , don't figure , I need to be in it today ,

would not take much , for me to end up , hurt real bad

don't want to do a face plant in the field or the lake

CB ( this common sence thing , be for the birds)

:unsure:

Common sense and Chickasaw Bill do not belong in the same sentence. Don't make me quote examples like church roofs.

WHOA NELLIE! BOY HOWDY!

Stopped by the river to see if I could wet a line. It was so high....

How high was it Badger?

It was so high I had to cast uphill to get my line in the water.

Went by so fast that they had the siren working. Sounded like a fire truck.

Kinda dark too. Don't think the fish would even see the worm as it went by.

If I was using live bate, I would have had to put a space suit on it, that is how

fast the river is running. Hope it goes down by summer. :unsure:

NOZ

did ya just now , sort that out ? :huh:

ya go till ya drop , then drag yourself back up an go so more :lol:

just play the hand ya got

CB :wacko:

You know I figured that out years ago. I just don't quite understand why you can't lift just a little on that throttle. That don't mean ice fishing.

Archived