SASS Wire Forum

Calling out Chickasaw Bill

Made a run to the fly shop. Got some purple and some hot pink thread. Not a lot of bling but maybe

the fish don't care. I guess I don't either. Got some UV stuff coming in next week so I will be tying.

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CB, got a question for you about flies. I am thinking of tying up some PURPLE, soft hackle flies, in a number 12 hook size,

for summer trout. Rig them up on a full sinking 3 or 5 wt line, with a short two foot leader, and fishing them deep in lakes.

What do you think of that idea? Talk to me. Tell me where I am going wrong.

I don't do a lot of fly fishing but I won't go to the water without a handfull of 1/16 oz all soft gray maribou jigs. I sat in the middle of James River above Table Rock Lake, with a couple of hundred of my best friends, over a school of several tons of white bass with none of them biting anything, even minnows.

A local boy came down to the river bank with a Zebco 202 rig and 1 gray jig. He made 15 casts, caught 15 big female whites, strung them on a piece of rope and disappeared back over the bank. Was not there for more than 30 minutes. All of us began frantically digging for something similar with no grays and no one having any success. I stayed another 3 hours without catching anything and without seeing anything caught. The bad thing is we could see them lying on the bottom under our boats.

Don't you just hate it when they lay and look at you and refuse everything in the box. :lol:

I went fishing in Michigan to an long forgotten lake and there were blue gills sitting on the bottom

in crystal clear warter. You could watch them swim over to the bait and nudge it and then swim

away. No go. Then there is a deep eddy on the Skykomish river where the returning steelhead

lie just below the hatchery. They line n the pool and there is no easy way to present the fly/bait

to them because of the structure in the river. When you do, they will look at it and the fin away

a foot or so and let it pass. Makes a guy crazy. Well crazier. You have to be half nuts to stand

out there in cold and rain to look for these devils anyway. I got the FEVER! I would do it in a

heart beat. I have done it.

BMC

I think you will need to go with , a longer leader , at least 5 ft or better

I tye a similar bug , with floss and soft hackle , also do a version with peacock herl and a palmered hackle

does well on STUPID hatchery fish , of corse , if it hit what I tye , it be STUPID :lol:

CB

BMC

I think you will need to go with , a longer leader , at least 5 ft or better

I tye a similar bug , with floss and soft hackle , also do a version with peacock herl and a palmered hackle

does well on STUPID hatchery fish , of corse , if it hit what I tye , it be STUPID :lol:

CB

Maybe five feet of leader but no more. Fishing deep I want to feel the take. Long leader might hamper that.

Bug I am thinking of, is all purple silk thread, with a small clump of peacock hurl for a thorax, and then soft hackle partridge or maybe even dyed purple guinea hackle.

BMC

thinking , I need more info , to start , define DEEP ?

here we have rather small rivers and streams , some have good depth to em , in places

anything below 8 ft or so , I change to a spinning rod , NO need to wo%& that hard , if I am suppose to be having fun

but , the regs . here, are not as crazy , as what , I have read of the regs up there

of corse , we can use LIVE bait , without killing it too

CB :o

I fish mostly western lakes that run anywhere from ten foot to fifty foot. Most of my fly fishing is off the shallow shelf at around 8 to 12 feet of clear water. I suppose I could lengthen the leader but I would like to try the 5 foot max. first. I will also be trying these around weed beds, just outside of the growth. If I get real crazy I could use my 2/3 weight fly rod. I up lined it to a three weight line for pan fish. Other wise, I will use my 5 weight. It needs some work anyway and has been sitting in the bag for way too long. :)

Badger

in the case posted , I think it would be more productive to go with a spinning rod

BUT , a sink tip with a 5 ft leader , would do better than a full sinking line

I would be tempted to use a floating line , with a small split shot down near the fly

using the braided connector as a strike indicator , thus needing a long leader

CB :huh:

We got screwed when the giverment got involved in the salmon harvest and then the tribes and then and then and then.

What once was one of the country's better fisheries is turning into a big zilch.

Naa, took the car in for service. Momma has me pinned down today. Maybe tomrrow or wednesday.

Weather changed and turned cold and clear. Rivers should be dropping soon and then I can fish my

egg patterns in the drift.

Talking snow tonight at 300 foot level. I am just shy of 500 feet. But I have fished in the snow before. :D

YEE HAWWW! We have a skim of ice across most ponds and 11 degrees here tonight!!!! Fishing soon! I need to get some fresh 2lb. test spooled and check my tip-ups. Early ice is best ice! 3 more inches and I'm set. Just not with any of my "larger" friends!

Well, I took the rock to the river but didn't use it. River was way dark and still high.

I wanted to use my newly tied egg clusters to try them in low clear water. Not to be.

So I just looked and watched. If it stays this cold and dry the river should drop tomorrow.

HAH! I said that today and it didn't happen. Hope springs eternal. Just being near the river

with a rod in hand was tonic for me. :)

Just don't fall in, Slim.

I'll just heed that advise Badger. I certainly will.

Miss the creeks and rivers up north. I know well the tonic of which you speak. Being on a sweet running piece of water is something you can feel.

Here they run warm mud if its raining and warm green mud when it's not. But the lakes are nice.

I am glad to hear you say that, Slim. I thought there might be something wrong with my thought maker. I just get all excited inside, watching the water play over the rocks, trees and branches, and listening to it's song. Today was special because the mountains got a dusting of snow last night and were all white in the background. I feel like I have been rejuvenated.

BMC

as soon as I get over this bug , what blindsided me :unsure:

I hope to get out , and find some walleyes , this time of year , it will be spoons

if a big school of whites , can be found , ya can get all ya need in short order

have to redo the bait nets , before spring ,

CB

HAHAHAHA That is all I get to enjoy, the little things. But that is ok.

Wife said thet once....................... She laughed too..............

Archived