SASS Wire Forum

Calling out Chickasaw Bill

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, we have a storm moving in today with high winds. Temps are still up and rain,, rain rain.

Momma wants me to take her to town for some shopping so I guess I will have hit the water

tomorrow morning. Wish the water was a little clearer.

Still deer season here. Waiting for the lakes to freeze up. Got a good spot for crappies, gills, bass an the occasional pike through the ice.

In Indiana I just sit on a bucket. When I was in the UP last February it got up to a balmy 30 degrees or so in my tent if the sun came out. With heaters running. Compared to the -16 outside, it was balmy. Sat in a light shirt.

BMC

we have the ramps ice up every year , water and concrete do that , but Ice in the lake is only a skim , on the big lake

only had that a couple of times , that I can recall , I hide out by yhr fire , if it gets that cold

about 4 yrs or so back , real bad ice storm , we did get ice on the lake close to 1/4 in thick in the coves

CB

Ice fishing?

I've caught all of the ice I want.

Didn't make it out today. Power went out and I didn't want to, leave Momma home with the generator.

But I am ready. We got hot pretty hard with the wind, but my house dodged the bullet. Big tree down on

Avondale and the news is full of falling fir trees and dented houses.

I am getting the hots to smoke some steelhead. Got the smoker out and need to ckean it up. Got lots of dead alder for smoking.

Green stuff comes back in the fall. Be nice to have some for the Christmas get to gether.

Never fished spoons in the drift for Ironjaw, might be a new wrinkle.

Gonna need more sunshine than we got now, tho.

New front moving in now, and it is getting colder. Not bitter cold, but

refrigerator weather cold. No rain tomorrow but Monday a new storm

warning is in effect. They are coming one right after the other now.

I rig my spin and glow with a #4 or 6 barbless hook, tied with a good knot on a mono leader.

Then I load on a small bead for a ball bearing between the S&G and hook. slide on the S&G.

Run about 18 inches of leader to a small and light swivel, I prefer black.

Above the swivel, I cut a piece of surgical tubing 1/4" dia." will do, and slide it up the main line over

the swivel, and insert a small piece of piece of 1/47" pencil lead into the tube to act as a weight.

It you get hung up the lead will pull out and leave your rig intact. MOST OF THE TIME.

I sometimes tie a glo yarn on the hook behind the bead and spin and glow.

Cast upstream at a 45 degree angle or there about. Let it drift down to find a quiet spot with moving water. The weight will hold it in the current and the S&G will rotate to send out sound waves and movement. If you attach yarn it will cause them to hold on a bit longer if they take the hook. Where bait is allowed some will attach some power bait or other attraction material.

Archived