SASS Wire Forum

Calling out Chickasaw Bill

• Replies 888
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weather is iffy. But if you wait for blue bird skies and sunshine in this part of the world, you would be a hermit.

My condition is getting such that I can get out now. Been laid up for the last year and a half with medical issues.

Why don't you jump on a plane and fly out and we can go up to Smithers, BC and do some hot steelhead fishing

in the Babine River. :D

I love crappies cause their fun and tasty. Same with gills. Love perch cause they be the TASTIEST! Walleyes too. But for just plain 'Did I just hook a rocket?!?' -you just cant beat the steelhead.

:huh:

Don't know , nothing about Steelhead , they ain't close to here , BUT , a nice striped bass , will take off , and pull hard

I have busted several fly rod on em , lost lines , and untold break offs trying to keep em out of the trees I tend to run a 17lb tippet for em

I am guessing less than 25% , of hook ups on a fly rod ,make it to hand ,

most of the walleyes , are not the targeted fish , for me , but I get a few now and then , good eating fish

CB

I run a 15 pound tippet on my 8 wt fly line for targeted steelhead. Too late in my fishing career I learned that the sun

will damage tippets and that they should be changed regularly.

I prefer to stalk them with a fly line but it is more productive with gear, at least for me. I have a sweet little Shamino

bait casting reel with a 9 foot graphite rod that is just the ticket for big river fishing. I also have a Spin gear rig that
I bought a couple of years ago, that I have never had a chance to use. Now it seems that the fish are no longer being

supported by the WDGW. Rumor has it that there are some in the Snoqualmie, about two miles from my house,

Thought I would give it a visit Wednesday if the water clears a tad. Gonna get the new girl dirty.

Growing up in western Michigan we had steelhead in every stream from fall till late spring. Salmon in the fall. As kids we used to chase them in drainage ditches with my uncles golf clubs... Only time I've ever had a use for one........

Got a cabin up by the Muskegon River. Great way to grow up.

I have hunted in Michigan, when I lived there many years ago. Beautiful place if you get out of the city.

Hunted Deer in the snow up around Ludington and Pheasants and Pat in the farm lands. Spent some great days afield with my buddies.

Fishing was mostly for pan fish in Lake St. Clair or farm ponds. Fun but not real productive for me.

But I would like to go back and relive some of those trips.

Slim is a Steelhead as much fun as a 4-6 lb Smallmouth Bass on 6lb test in super clear water?

MORE!!!!! Don't get me wrong -love the bass. But a steelhead only knows one thing -full throttle. I have never hooked it's equal in fresh water. Ever. It's not just the pull. Acrobatic style and just plain speed with it. Incredible fish.

I have hunted in Michigan, when I lived there many years ago. Beautiful place if you get out of the city.

Hunted Deer in the snow up around Ludington and Pheasants and Pat in the farm lands. Spent some great days afield with my buddies.

Fishing was mostly for pan fish in Lake St. Clair or farm ponds. Fun but not real productive for me.

But I would like to go back and relive some of those trips.

The cabin is due east of Ludington about 30 miles. Ever get over this way, I know where I keep the booze. ;)

The cabin is due east of Ludington about 30 miles. Ever get over this way, I know where I keep the booze. ;)

Not likely that I will ever make it, but I would like that very much. I could even bring some of that booze stuff.

Just to keep warm.

You are so right about those steelhead. Once you tie into one, you will be spoiled for life and want MORE MORE MORE.

Can't say that they are the most tasty of fish, but good enough if smoked and on a clear river, with a hard run, incredible!

You folks on Lake Michigan and Superior must have a good run of them.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=perch+fishing+with+powerbait&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=8EE19AD631DFAB0F4DC88EE19AD631DFAB0F4DC8

Saw a guy last September fishing the slack water below Croton Dam. He had landed seven that day and got two while we watched. He kept two for the smoker, young bucks. The last was a big female, bet 15lbs. Huge. They were flyrodding with what looked like little pink hair jigs. We stopped by my grandparents old cabin on Bigalow Creek (a Muskegon tributary) last April and watched four spawning. The first my daughter had ever seen. Not big ones, maybe 20 inchers though.

Fellow said that they were showing up in the Snoqualmie so I may try it tomorrow if the river clears some. Pretty dark but the snoqualmie is close. If that doesn't work, maybe a drive up to Sultan or Goldbar to fish the Sky.

Even if the river is dirty, getting a line wet is all I ask. I AM ALL RIGGED AND READY TO GO.

Hey Slim, here is a vid on two dudes fishing for steelhead in Michigan. Looks like they are using center pin reels with l-o-o-o-n-g

rods and bobbers.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+fishing+steelhead+in+michigan&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=1557255EEA73405398481557255EEA7340539848

Hey Slim, here is a vid on two dudes fishing for steelhead in Michigan. Looks like they are using center pin reels with l-o-o-o-n-g

rods and bobbers.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=youtube+fishing+steelhead+in+michigan&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail&mid=1557255EEA73405398481557255EEA7340539848

Float & Fly, I hate fishing that way.

What ever works Tyrel. If you are gonna let them go anyway. :)

I like either fly fishing for em or drifting a pencil lead in surgical tubing with a fly or spinner on the terminal end, off a casting reel and a 9 ft. rod.

As a kid we trolled for salmon every weekend. Three in the boat, five fish limit, limit out every time. Average fish, 12-15lbs. You cant eat that much darn fish. The thought of putting it to my mouth now makes me ill. With steelhead, when you live there, you can let the females go when they are full of roe. Keep a couple that were deep hooked and go again tomorrow. Man, now I'm homesick. Thanks guys!

We don't have any of that in NE Indiana. IF MICHIGAN DONT HAVE IT A MAN DONT NEED IT!

Well, got the gear all packed up last night. All I need to do now is load the car and throw my hip boots in.

Don't know that I will need them where I am going, but you never know. Best to have it and not need it

than to need it and not have it. Don't know what the rivers look like but I suspect that they are dark.

Taking my new virgin rod and my favorite. Don't know which I will use. Both are loaded and ready. :D

Look like the Sky might be blown out. Got 11,100 CFS flows at Gold Bar, that is pretty fast, and a 9 ft. at the gauge. Guess the Snoqualmie is the best bet. I will have to check that out.

We got rain too!

At that level and speed there may not be any slack edges where I am going.

There is a honey hole that has a big tree lying in the water near the bank. That is

probably under water right now but I am not sure I can get to it from the bank.

But I am going the other direction so we may get a shot at it.

I'm at work, running wastetreatment facilities. What's running here right now ain't fir for the Wire, even the Saloon! Oh. look! A glow in the dark one! Theres a funny lookin white one! EEWWWW! Not sure what that thing was..............

I'm at work, running wastetreatment facilities. What's running here right now ain't fir for the Wire, even the Saloon! Oh. look! A glow in the dark one! Theres a funny lookin white one! EEWWWW! Not sure what that thing was..............

My BIL used to comment about the number of Tennis balls that came into the treatment plant?

We get some. Golf balls, rubber balls, tennis balls. You name it. Ask around Christmas and I'll let you know the popular toys this year! Legos (THE best toy ever!) are a perennial favorite.

I'M BACK!

Want to see a picture of my 27" 14# Iron jaw?

Well, I ain't got one. Fish that is!

:lol::lol::lol:

Great day on the river even though there was no love for the bubble gum worm or the spin and glow.

Dark sky, light rain, river was clearer than I expected but not gin clear. It was just great to get out on the water

after such a long absence. May go again tomorrow, but leave earlier. Lots of company on the gravel bar, but no

love from the fish. Lost one rig on a hang up on the bottom, but I can afford that I guess. All rigged and ready for another

shot.

Archived