SASS Wire Forum

MidwayUSA's Gun Stories

Chief Rick

Wednesday night on the Outdoor channel is usually a do not miss.....

I watched the first segment. I would only agree with about half of what was said based on what I have read. The next segment showing what guns the indians actually used will be more interesting. Since many/most of Custer's men were killed with arrows, wonder what kind of gun they were shot with :unsure: . From what I have read the number of indians with repeating rifles was quite low. Custer lost because of poor tactics and an overwhelming quantity of foe.

I have a big problem with Midway. It's on the South side of I-70 and I'm on about a mile up the road on the North side. It's much to easy to stop and pick up an order as I go to town.

I think it was this summer, on the NATGEO or Discovery channel they did a re-run episode on that battle. There were archeologists (sp) that used metal detectors and went to each "known" area of the battlefield and points in between. The varied number of bullets and brass/cases they found pretty much covered the caliber spectrum of that era. They found everything from 44 Henry,44-40,45-70, 45 Colt, 50 caliber bullets and cases (probably a Sharps) and 56-50 the Spencer. They marked and mapped out each location when they found something.That battle covered a lot more ground than just the river and knoll Custer died on. It was more of a running battle with troopers trying to get back to a larger group of soldiers.

Archived