SASS Wire Forum

New Cowboy Chronicles

Jackaroo, # 29989

Just received the Dec issue, and again I see that all the club monthly matches and annual club match date pages are no longer there, and has been filled up with comic pages??

This has happened the last 3 issues, since Skinny's comics have been published.

I don't know about other members, but if you're doing some long or even short term planning these are very important, because the shooting events on the SASS site is rarely up to speed with all the events on, only cover a few months down the track, and it's obviously a major task for the staff to have all that right, given that the clubs should advise the SASS office of their up and coming events.

This is especially so for the folks coming from overseas to events here, who will have to do long term planning.

Coming from Australia I know,......I had to start months in advance to organize a viably financial trip, so needed to know those dates well in advance.

I'm not objecting to the fact that the comics are there, only that they have replaced important club event information.

It would be nice to have those published again, but of course there could be some publication issues that may be the reason for not doing so.

Interested to hear other comments on this issue. :D

They dont need to be in the Chronicle. On Home page, look under SASS Clubs. Click SHOOTING EVENTS.

List is there every day, all of the time. No need to wait for Chronicle. Been there for quite some time now.

And the monthly events?

I'm at least covered for Texas since my club posts the schedule for other clubs in our monthly newsletter.

On the positive side.... Good article,(as usual), by Larsen on the "92"..

As a Rossi owner, I really liked this. Wonder how that spring kit compares with StevesGunz.

They dont need to be in the Chronicle. On Home page, look under SASS Clubs. Click SHOOTING EVENTS.

List is there every day, all of the time. No need to wait for Chronicle. Been there for quite some time now.

Some of them are way out of date, and no longer valid,..and besides it so much better to have a whole page open in front of you showing most the events at the same time, rather than clicking and going back and clicking again on the next club, end up having to make your own list, very frustrating.

Hi Jack,

I don't read the comics.

I do want to know about future SASS matches!

Allie

+1

Some of them are way out of date, and no longer valid,..and besides it so much better to have a whole page open in front of you showing most the events at the same time, rather than clicking and going back and clicking again on the next club, end up having to make your own list, very frustrating.

We must be looking at different pages or lists. The only "out of date" annual match I see is Nevada State Wild Bunch match, which was Nov. 28-29, 2014.

As far as club monthly matches, we've been told if WE keep the SASS office informed THEY will keep our published information on the site current. I agree it would be nice AND convenient if SASS would create a monthly match page like they do for the annuals. And/or combine the two.

My wife refuses to read the electonic copy although we have gotten it since it was first avail. I do read it. If it stops coming in the PDF version I will no longer read it. I expect others will do likewise. Anyone that feels as I do should contact the advertisers. The web based version is not easy to read and uses up tons of bandwidth which we pay for, not SASS.

I don't read the comics either but if you have a complaint the proper person to contact is misti.

She does not respond to my email. I just spent an hour trying to read the CC, not an easy read. Comics? BTW I know an advertiser that is removing his add after 10 years, not getting any reponse from the new and improved CC.

I don't have a problem with it coming electronically, it's great, I download it on my iPad and open it iBooks, so it's there all the time, all in order. Great for when you go to the little room I read a bit while I'm there,easier than a paper copy.

Paper now it just too expensive and it had to go that way, sign of the times.

But I would like the matches pages to come back, it's maybe that the large count of comic pages have taken up the volume limit of pages, who knows?

I don't read 'em anyway, but I'm not complaining, only wondering ?

Really, the only reason I read the Chronicle was to learn about the annual matches in order to plan my shooting excursions. I have less than any interest in cartoons. The idea that we could get the annual match information from the clubs pages is ludicrous. Nearly all of the clubs have out of date iformation. Further, it's impossible to find information about matches around the nation that we don't know anything about since we don't have super mental powers.

We all take in information differently. That is why information should be provided in several forms.

Sometimes it is just nice to plan a fantasy vacation. Just you and your shootin partners!

The cost of paper and printing will be considered cheap when the new fangled dang CC has lost all its advertisers. Hindsight will be 20/20 but too late. The death of the best recruitment tool for the game will then be long lamented. The stalking horse justification that the paper CC would be the ruination of the organization is hogwash.

It's never gonna be too late to bring back our beloved paper no matter what the cost. Whatever it costs. It is cheap when you look on the bleak landscape of no advertisers and the downward spiral we are now embarked on.

Brave new world indeed. Phooey

I rather like the PDF concept because I can throw a file on a USB stick and hand to a buddy and the bonus is I still have my copy!

I still wish they would put the info for the local shoots into the CC as was mentioned the layout helps versus having to search for each individual club and hoping the online information is correct.

What I can not believe is for 35 buck we could get the hard copy of the cc and only a little over 800 signed up. I for sure was one of them.

We get the Cowboy Fast Draw Gazette in paper. It isn't monthly but it is still helpful.

I'm involved with a dozen different organizations that have far fewer members than SASS and they all deliver a very nice magazine (not a newspaper) every month or 6 times a year. And the dues is the same or less than SASS.

BTW....800 folks (and I bet it is way higher than that now) who want a hard copy, at $35 extra a year is $28,000.....No way on God's green earth would it cost that much to print and mail 800 copies.....

Dillon sends out a quality catalog every month without a membership. Wonder why Dillon has not gone electronic? You think they have a younger following than SASS? And, no comics!

Dillon sends out a quality catalog every month without a membership. Wonder why Dillon has not gone electronic? You think they have a younger following than SASS? And, no comics!

Pretty well put together also, if you get my drift.

I just read a business article where a couple of retailers last year decided to not use printed catalogs any longer. It nearly bankrupted them! They are back in print this year. Electronic is great for books. I have hundreds of books in my Kindle.

But for material that includes advertisements, electronics can not grab your eye like "The lower Right Hand Corner" can. I skim through the electronic version but read nearly none of it and I couldn't tell you what ads were there. They just don't register.

This whole electronic CC is so misguided. It's sad......

Don't think you can compare Dillon's magazine with the Chronicle. If all the SASS memebers ordered as much stuff from a paper advertisement, which is what the Dillon magazine is, I'm sure there would be a paper version of the Chronicle as well.

Advertisers apparently from reports are jumping ship from the sinking digital CC.

The misguided move has already cost who knows how many members not renewing.

Hard to believe the ptb are gonna stay this course and ride it to ruin...

I distributed the paper to local Dr offices, barbers and had a stack in my office to give to anyone interested. Not anymore!

Archived