SASS Wire Forum

Super Glue or J.B. Weld

Come On Christmas

I like to make queries over here cause there is less putting down and general nay saying in the saloon.

I made a pawn shop find of an Uberti 1860 Henry 44/40. Bolt of lighting rare, huh?

I think it has the original sites on it. At 50 yards perfect windage, but 8 inches high. At 100 yards 6 inches high.

I want to adhere a 1/8 inch brass rod section to the front sight then put electricians tape over it and take it to the range. I figure I can shoot at the bottom of the circle, mid circle(half moon, poetic) and top of circle to at least figure out how tall a front sight I be a needing to buy.

Hell, after I take the tape oft if the sight stays put, I'm done. I think it will look cool.

What adhesive would you use? I know a new front sight would cost less than $20.

Crayfish

AKA Shameless Womanizer

Just order a new front site from Brownells of the proper height once you've established what it is. Most likely any adhesive you use will fail at the most inopportune time.

But, if you are going to glue it on, JB Weld is hard to beat and it will have a certain amount of "give" that super glue doesn't possess.

JB Weld needs extremely high heat of grinding to come off, 600+ deg F. (this info fromt he internet.)

Super glue is cyanoacrylic and melts at 147F and is water soluble, not hard to remove. Does super glue adhere to metal well enough to solve your problem? I don't know but tiny tubes are cheap enough that I would try it first.

Just buy the new sight. I've used JB weld for some metal/metal bonds, but it will fail from the jarring that your sight will take.

If you want to try gluing, use JB weld. Super glue is not meant for joints such as you describe. Make sure you clean all metal surfaces with dish soap before joining them. Any amount of grease will compromise the joint.

Strictly addressing your question:

Probably NO surface application of adhesive will work well in this situation as a permanent solution, with SuperGlue (or any other brand of cyanoacrylic glue) being the poorest choice of the two.

same problem as you, plus I got this cheap side. found a piece of brass rod and cut a shallow groove on the bottom to help locate vertical. a little j-b and a squeeze from a clamp . l pulled it off with my fingers .the first 4-5 times, but trip to the store for a new tube of j-b still hanging on after 3 yrs. mine was 73 carbine so front sight is quite a bit more than the dovetail on the rifles. don't know if stubborn or lucky just cost me a little time. GW

for temporary and easy removal of a sight attachment such as you described, I would just use a small piece of bubble gum.

When its still in a relatively soft texture, you can move the sight around alittle, yet it will still stay where you want. As it hardens, it can can still be broken off easily.

Plus, it taste better and is cheaper than JB or Glue.

mileage varies..........

..........Widder

For a temporary "stick on" of the brass rod I would suggest hot glue.

When you are done with your measurements you can easily remove the part using a hair dryer to WARM the glue joint.

Elmer's glue

Ever tried to blow a good bubble with Elmer's?

Plus, it taste funny and when you try to say a word starting with 'S', it sounds like your slurring.

..........Widder

duck tape!!!!

For a temporary "stick on" of the brass rod I would suggest hot glue.

When you are done with your measurements you can easily remove the part using a hair dryer to WARM the glue joint.

I thought about this as well. Gonna try first due to easy removal.

Thanks

Sights? Who needs sights? Lol. Defiantly not super glue. You could hang your rifle from the glued in sight for days up and down but knock from the side and it will pop right off. It has no shear strength. I'm in the replace the sights camp..... And I just realized you were talking about a temp fix to determine what height sight you might need, not a permanent glue fix opps

I took off my ladder fold-down sight and replaces it with a buckhorn leaf mounted sight. I actually rests on the front edge of the receiver and raises the front sight picture, thus lowering the point of impact. You could just file out the notch in the rear sight where it is folded down.

That would be DUCK tape, Mr. Culpepper!

Actually, it would be called: "DUCT Tape" ! ;)

Anotber solution is to use silver solder. Form a bead on top of the sight or build up the entire sight and file to desired height. Or dill the sight an install a shotgun bead on it.

I originally thought this was going to be a First Aid question.

Archived