SASS Wire Forum

Winchester 1873 black powder 32-20

harleyfire

Hello the wire,

I have a Winchester 1873 in 32-20 that need to be rifled to a 38-40 or 44-40 or be re-barreled. Looking for a gunsmith that can help me make it a shooter. Any one here know where I can get help?

Thanks, Old Tex

I don't think that will work, the breech face is too small for those larger calibers.

To make this conversion to the larger cartridges, you'd have to do some machining on the frame as well as a new bolt and magazine. Mag tube is a different size on an original Winchester. Probably you'd have to replace most of the other internals like lifter and arm, and maybe the links.

If you just want to make it a shooter, relining the barrel and rechambering to 32-20 would be your best bet.

The second best option might be to rebarrel to .38 special. The same bolt and other internals should work with that cartridge.

Since it's a 32-20, I would personally just get it sleeved in that caliber if the bore is shot out, but that's just me.

Thanks all.

I am ok with having it sleeved in either 32-20 or 38 special. Any suggestion as who can do me a good job?

A widely-recognized master is Randy Redman at:

http://www.redmansrifling.com/relining.htm

Others who may be able to do a good job, but I have not heard reports on their work:

http://www.oregunsmithingllc.com/Relining-Reboring-MuzzleBrake.html

http://www.bosesofnebraska.com/rebarreling.html

http://www.runniron.com/general/index.html

Good luck, GJ

There's not a thing wrong with the .32-20 cartridge. Keep that old Winchester true to its heritage.

I would consider it important that whoever you decide to use, understands the weapon, because you'll probably use them for other work on it as well.

I have original Winnies 1873 and 1892 in .32-20. Great cartridge. I have sold my .22LRs rifles and decided the .32WCF is more fun to shoot, easier to get ammo (from my loading bench) and does a great job in the field.

Now to answer your question:

* Who said that the barrel was shot? Someone with a borescope? Someone expecting a new-like bore? These guns were designed to shoot lead bullets and 1200 fps. My guess is that barrels of the 1880s never looked like new barrels of today.

* My first recommendation would be to shoot it with bullets of various hardness. Start with hard cast (Meister or Oregon Trail). Try softer bullets like Missouri if you do not get good results.

* Try various powder charges with each load. Warmer loads or faster-burning powders will bore-form the bullet base more than light pressure loads.

* One of the gunrag writers wrote about using Dyna Borecoat to remove excessive lead and ending up getting much better results. This stuff is available from MidwayUSA or Brownells.

The only comment I can add is to thoroughly clean the bore first.

I have a Marlin 336 35 Remington that when I brought it had a badly fouled bore. I violated the first rule of never buying a gun with a dirty bore as you never know what it is hiding. I first cleaned the bore several times with brush and solvent but could not get all the fouling out so I brought a Outters Foul Out system and followed the instructions that came with the kit. Two hours later I checked the progress and I have the blackest, nastiest looking chemical in the barrel I had ever seen. I finished cleaning the bore per instructions and ended up with the bore being in perfect condition.

I would not expect the bore of your old Winchester to be perfect but it may not be as bad as it appears. As already comment shoot it before replacing/relining it.

p.s. The 32-20 will put a 38 Special to shame out of a long gun.

Howdy

Have you actually shot the rifle with its present 32-20 bore? Does it shoot badly?

I am gonna echo Driftwood's question.

And for what it is worth, I have 24" octagon 73 in this same caliber. The bore looks kinda cruddy, but it shoots really well and is capable of surprisingly good accuracy. I'd run a few shots through it to see how it shoots before redoing the bore, it might be fine as is.

Archived