SASS Wire Forum

something I miss

Trigger Mike

Back when I was a boy I enjoyed many a peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with apple jelly. the apple jelly today has high fructose corn syrup and taste different since they did not have high fructose corn syrup until it was invented after I did not get as many of them. I wish I could find apply jelly that is made like it used to be

Maybe you can find it in one of those specialty food catalogs or some local boutique grocery store. We get a catalog a couple times a year from The Vermont Country Store

www.vermontcountrystore.com

Maybe they have it.

Ahh dang, that reminded me of how my used to make Apple butter and can it when I was a kid. Loved that stuff, probably haven't had any in over 40 years

My mother used to make plum jelly from the plums trees we had in our yard. She'd make up a bunch of jars and we kept them in the fruit cellar. Great stuff!!! She then made some apple jelly from apples that we went out and picked at a farm. That was great too! I guess a farmers market or sometimes farmers that have roadside stands sell it. Now ya got me yearning' for some good homemade jelly!!!

Rye

Noz has the right idea; make it yourself. I bet with a very little reading and following directions, you could make some perfect jelly.

When I was dating my wife, her mother used to make pear preserves from trees they had in their yard. It was incredible. She would dole out jars of the preserves to family periodically and I can remember being torn between wanting to pile it up on my biscuits, and wanting to make the jar last as long as possible because we didn't know when she would give us another. I have meant, over the years, to learn to make those, and still haven't done so, but we always have a jar of wonderful pear preserves from Publix in the house. Can't get the grandkids to eat it for some reason (which I secretly don't really mind-more for me).

Ornery Cuss

Archived