SASS Wire Forum

An inside look at USAF training

Bear with me on this for a minute. After high school for about two years before starting college, then for another year while in college, I delivered furniture. I kind of got to know what to look for as far as damage and problems go.

Fast forward, and I'm at Ft. Sam Houston during Operation Desert Shield, living in the barracks when one day I get tasked to help move new furniture into the day room. Moving it in, I notice it is really nice furniture, well made, with no problems or damage to it. The thing is, the chairs and couches have medium blue cushions. Even the new pool table has a medium blue felt. I jokingly asked the NCO that drove the moving van if we got the stuff from the Air Force. He laughed and said "Yep. A unit over at Kelly (Air Force Base) just got new furniture.

Working several staff jobs toward the end of my 30 year AF career, I was in charge of ordering new furnituure and disposing of old several different times. For each one I would just contact the nearest Army or Navy unit and offer our old furniture. They would show up with a full work crew and take every piece and stick of old furniture we had. Just like DocWard's experience, they could not believe we were getting rid of furniture so much newer and better than what they had.

Working several staff jobs toward the end of my 30 year AF career, I was in charge of ordering new furnituure and disposing of old several different times. For each one I would just contact the nearest Army or Navy unit and offer our old furniture. They would show up with a full work crew and take every piece and stick of old furniture we had. Just like DocWard's experience, they could not believe we were getting rid of furniture so much newer and better than what they had.

I read a deal once that broke down how much of it's respective budget each service allocated to equipment, care of personnel, and facilities. IIRC, the Army spent the least on facilities.

The Army firmly believes you can maintain a building indefinitely, by cleaning and repainting. As a result they have the prettiest condemned buildings in the world.

Makes a body wonder how we won the second world war. When I got to Ft. Riley we were housed in the very same barracks that the Custer crowd used. Cracks in the floor that you could see the mice living below it. When I got to Germany we were housed in WW II German housing at an old Messerschmitt air field. Cement building with cement floors and jalousied windows. Floors were painted and waxed. Beautiful view of the drop zone out back (former runways) and the POL dump.

BMC... Inside of all those condemned facilities, is state of the art equipment.

Haven't been to Ft. Riley nor Germany for fifty + years, but I suspect that the barracks have been

replaced or at least refurbished. At least the ones in Kansas. Mebbe not.

I think Gablingen Kaserne is closed and they made a housing project out of it. Germans are like that.

You were in the SS, Chickasaw?

When I was in Germany , the barracks were , the same ones , that housed the SS garrison during WWII :o

CB

I was in Flint Kaserne. It was the former SS Officers training school.

Archived