SASS Wire Forum

Teachers

Hello again:

I am a 71 year old cowboy who has been out of high school for a very long time. It amazes me that there are still a few teachers around that I remember from that period of time. I talked with one of them a few days ago. Just as healthy and happy looking as I remember from school. He seemed happy that I remembered him. My favorite teacher of all time was a math teacher in Jr. High. I saw him at a wedding a few years ago and we had a great conversation. The father of my dentist was one of my history teachers, doing well at 84. I think it is pretty cool that they are still with us. I appreciate talking to them. I think I listen to them better now that I did all those years ago.

Frazee

My Senior English teacher was Miss Garland who was in her second year teaching. At some reunion I learned that she was now Mrs West. At our recent 50th reunion, the new Headmaster invited questions. The first question was "Has Mrs West retired yet?"

My favorite teacher was Mr Garfield. He taught social studies and P. E. Great teacher. He was almost as good as my father. Dad taught 8th grade general science. I saw guys who were poor students in other classes cry because they only made a B on one of my dad's weekly tests. My dad had a special talent to make his students want to do good for him. Mr. Garfield also made me want to learn and do well on his tests just so I didn't disappoint him.

One of my favorite two HS teachers was my Chemistry teacher, Mr. Lewis.. Inspired me to be a Chem major going in to college. I hated it when we got to Organic Chem second semester , first year - switched to engineering (Aero and EE) and the rest is history.

He made a huge difference in motivating my thirst for knowledge and application, I misread that into passion for his chosen discipline, rather than identifying mine, first. He tried to make that point to me early HS senior year, but I apparently wasn't ready to take that onboard....yet. It did broaden my education and experience quite a bit so no harm, but certainly increased my load to graduate on time after the switch.

The point for me was that a great teacher can make a huge difference in your overall motivation, appreciation and respect for knowledge, and its practical application in life.

Fond memories (nearly 50 yrs later) of Mr. Lewis and Miss Boster!

I didn't run into an influencing teacher until I hit college. Dr. Peck in the school of Geology. He taught the mechanics of landslides by requiring a member of the class (8 students) to bring a 12 pack of beer to class.

I didn't run into an influencing teacher until I hit college. Dr. Peck in the school of Geology. He taught the mechanics of landslides by requiring a member of the class (8 students) to bring a 12 pack of beer to class.

Must be a story there . . .

He took a sheet of glass 24" long, raised one end by placing a pencil under it. We emptied the beer cans in the traditional manner and shook them dry. A cool can with a tiny bit of moisture placed open top down on the glass will slide the length of the glass on the moisture retained in the can. Shows how little lubrication is required lift and slip an item. A light rain can move a mountain side.

He was unique. Our first class; He came in told us to read x number of chapters and be prepared to ask any questions about any thing we did not understand. The next class meeting he came in and asked if there were any questions. No one responded so he said read the next x chapters for the next class and headed for the door. One of the students said "Excuse me but aren't you going to lecture?". He told us that he had written the book and if we had no questions then we understood everything he had asked us to read. Some days the class would last 3 minutes then the next a question might be asked and we would go for several sessions before he was sure we all understood. I learned more from him in 2 semesters that any other instructor in my college career.

Never liked one teacher I ever had. As far as I'm concerned they were all a bunch of self promoting know it alls! I never got any good advice from any of 'em! That's just my experience, I'm not putting down ALL teachers but all the ones I had were jerks! :o

Rye

My dad was a college professor in the Elementary Education Department at Utah State U. He taught fifth grade in the laboratory schools there, first the Whittier and then the Edith Bowen. He also taught evening courses, summer courses and extension classes. Dad was very dedicated and was considered a great teacher.

Mom taught first grade for over 30 years and ran into students everywhere she went who went out of their way to speak to her and tell her how wonderful she was. One was a tour guide she met on a trip to japan. He had been the son of a visiting professor and declared to everyone on the tour that, "This is Mrs. Taylor. She taught me to speak English and she is my very special friend."

I had several good teachers, but only one, besides my parents, that I really considered great: Hattie Morrell who taught me English on two different occasions and who encouraged me to write.

Mr. Stauffer, 5th/6th grade PE. Had a plastic hockey stick. Taught me the most valuable lesson of how to shut my idiot mouth. Just used that lesson in the Obama thread. Wish I could remember it more often.

I had a history teacher named Gary Parsons, both in jr. high and in high school. He presented history in a new and engaging way- not just names and dates, but causes, motivations and stories about people. He gave me an interest that led to a career as a history professional. I got to thank him years later- kinda touched him a little, I think.

Grade school, junior high and high school, and engineering college were simply endured. I did not find a teacher I really enjoyed until I took Dr. Homer Dale's Physiology class in my first year of Veterinary Medical College.

Our Physiology Lab section had the students divide into 4-person teams. Our team was the last one working in the lab when Dr. Dale came over to check on us. He was more relaxed in lab than when lecturing and he started talking to us like he was another student.

We asked him how he came to be a teacher. He told us that he was raised on a farm and had always wanted to be a farm animal veterinarian, so when he first started practicing he enjoyed all his farm calls, even after hours. He said he remembers driving down the main street of a very small rural town at 2:00 o'clock in the morning, pausing at the one flashing light, before going out to tend some sick cow, and thinking, "This is great!" He continued, "One year later, I was driving down the same street at 2:00 o'clock in the morning, slowing down at the same caution light, going out on another emergency call, and thought to myself, 'XXX am I doing here?' "

He held a special place in our hearts after that. When I started teaching Physiology in evening college years later, I modeled my course after his.

One of my favorite teachers was Eddie Pigue. I had him for several classes in Jr. and Sr. high school. 7th grade math, 9th grade art, wood shop, metal/electrical shop, and he was the wrestling coach. He was good at all of them and taught me many valuable lessons. When I flunked a six-week english class in my senior year, he liked to have wore me out because of it. I did better in english after that. He gave me props when I beat him on the mat as well. He was hell with a paddle too!!

Then there was Robert Binkley, my choral and vocal music teacher. He taught me a better appreciation of arrangement and harmonies as well as encouraging me in my rock 'n' roll persuits. Even in the sixties and early seventies, he understood that there were other things besides classical music. I wonder what he thinks of rap??

Archived