SASS Wire Forum

Short barrel for 97

Oddnews SASS# 24779

I have an original Winchester Model 97 with a barrel I don't want to cut, because the original barrel is in "Modified." I don't have figures, but that seems unusual, which is why I don't cut the barrel itself.

Numrich/Gun Parts Corp. used to offer a 20-inch barrel, but its website indicates they're sold out. Is anyone else marking a 20-inch or "riot" replacement barrel for the 97?

It is getting harder to find replacement barrels and it is not easy to change barrels, if you have a take-down model (unless you can find a whole upper assembly).

By the time you find the barrel and pay to have it cut down, it would be cheaper and less hassle to find a second 97 that is already short, or you don't mind cutting.

It is getting harder to find replacement barrels and it is not easy to change barrels, if you have a take-down model (unless you can find a whole upper assembly).

By the time you find the barrel and pay to have it cut down, it would be cheaper and less hassle to find a second 97 that is already short, or you don't mind cutting.

I've about come to the same conclusion.

We're discussing a take-down variation of the Win97, correct? If so, there's more to this than you may realize, regarding parts, tools, an understanding, technical expertise and cost. You may already know this, but if not, I suggest you research what's involved. Get a good Win97 video (AGI has a good, inexpensive one) or find a good technical video on YouTube if possible, before you proceed. Might be a better idea to either try to buy (and very importantly, fit) an entire barrel assembly. That, or simply have the barrel cut to 20" and a new bead sight installed. Should be less than $40 or so by a good gunsmith.

We're discussing a take-down variation of the Win97, correct? If so, there's more to this than you may realize, regarding parts, tools, an understanding, technical expertise and cost. You may already know this, but if not, I suggest you research what's involved. Get a good Win97 video (AGI has a good, inexpensive one) or find a good technical video on YouTube if possible, before you proceed. Might be a better idea to either try to buy (and very importantly, fit) an entire barrel assembly. That, or simply have the barrel cut to 20" and a new bead sight installed. Should be less than $40 or so by a good gunsmith.

Actually, mine is a solid frame -- I was anticipating professional gunsmithing.

Might try finding a old broke 97 that has outlived its functional life and has found its way into the part gun lifespan and buy a parts gun.

I have several barrels, but advise against the conversion. It takes special knowledge of the 97 and special tools to make the switch.

Johnny Meadows

P.S. I never hesitate to cut barrels for Cowboy action, they will get more use and you will have more fun then they were ever intended for.

Yeah when I cut down the barrel of my gun which was made in 1906 I felt like I was cutting up a peice of Americana. But now it gets shot every weekend

I could sell you a barrel, but instead would recommend you cut the barrel on your gun. The regular 97's only value is based on CAS. Before CAS had their big growth spurt in the 90's, the 97's were all over the place and not worth much, $50.00 would get you a real nice one. If you have a black diamond, trench gun, or a rare 36" barrel then don't cut them as they are worth more, some well over $3,000.00 to $4,000.00. The knowledge and required tools are a must or you will ruin the take down extension or on a solid frame you will end up with crunched receiver and or the famous wrench and vice marks on the barrel. A modified barrel is not uncommon or rare. It is just one of the offerings Winchester had. Full front ends for take downs are selling for $350.00 plus, add gunsmith time and expense to that and you have $400.00 to $500.00 just to make the change. Solid frame barrels are lots harder to find and also expensive. For $50.00 - $60.00 your barrel can be cut and a new brass bead installed. Hope this helps. If you need more info or have questions pm me.

Archived