SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun splatter

Joe Boot

Hi Folks

In many recent cowboy shooting videos I've noticed the RO protecting his face during the shotgun phase of the stage.

Is this necessary because of splashback from the targets or "grit" from the shotgun itself?

Joe Boot

Most, or at least a lot of SG targets produce bounce back. I always tilt my head down so my hat brim gives some protection(if I'm on the line but not shooting)

Splash back from shot gun targets.

Often the targets are too close and not angled downward.

Plus - if they "give" a few inches on contact - that helps to deflect pellets downward.

I am estimating that you will get hit at more shoots than not!!!!

Wear your safety glasses and a wide brim hat and watch for unsafe scenarios when setting up.

Just my 2 cents.

- BB

from splatter,,,, poorly designed targets are usually the biggest culprit... or too close...

It can happen with poorly designed or placed, or warn targets. This is the reason for limiting the size of the shot. I once had spatter from a round draw blood on my right earlobe and I smile every time I watch Tombstone "Mind your ear, Creek!" Just wear good eye protection and don't worry about it.

Do NOT turn your head to the side as the shooter is working his shotgun. Pellets will catch you in the face, and possibly the eye, doing some real damage. Depend upon either lowering your head to let the hat brim catch the shot, or your safety glasses covering your eyes by looking straight ahead. It IS possible to have shot come under the brim and over the top of your safety glasses, so just looking straight ahead is the best protection for your eyes.

Pocked steel surfaces on the shotgun targets cause splatter, and fixed steel shields and frames on the targets contribute their part to splatter, too.

Good luck, GJ

Hey Joe Boot....hope ya'll are staying warm up there in Canada. I checked the weather at Shediac this afternoon and let's just say I'm glad I don't have to shoot a match with the Bea Bassin Ranger Riders today. I imagine ya'll are finished until spring at that range. I heard from a "questionable" source that the range is under new ownership although one of the new owners is a little suspect....gotta keep yore eye on ole Frenchy Cannuck :D :D

Regarding the TO shielding their face or head when running the timer, especially for the shotgun part of the stage.....what the others have said rings true in my experiences. I seem to get more splatter from the shotgun than any other part of the stage. One thing that I do that helps me when I run the timer. The TO is supposed to be on the strong side of the shooter looking at the shooter's gun and also the other 9,999 other things we are supposed to look at. When the shotgun is being actually shot I put more of my body behind the shooter to better shield myself from splatter. Since I've started doing this I have not been hit with as much shotgun splatter.

Kajun

When TOing, I always hold up my forearm in front of my face, below my glasses, much like The Shadow. I do it to protect myself from splatter and gravel that gets kicked up from the shot. I have felt hits on my arms many times.

Fillmore

When TOing, I always hold up my forearm in front of my face, below my glasses, much like The Shadow.

Fillmore

or Dracula...... :P

Do NOT turn your head to the side as the shooter is working his shotgun. Pellets will catch you in the face, and possibly the eye, doing some real damage. Depend upon either lowering your head to let the hat brim catch the shot, or your safety glasses covering your eyes by looking straight ahead. It IS possible to have shot come under the brim and over the top of your safety glasses, so just looking straight ahead is the best protection for your eyes.

Pocked steel surfaces on the shotgun targets cause splatter, and fixed steel shields and frames on the targets contribute their part to splatter, too.

Good luck, GJ

Wrap arounds and side shields aren't very old West, but an authentic eye patch is something you really want to avoid!

I wonder how much splatter is from the target and how much is from the stand. Especially for knock down SG targets.

Try as I might I have yet to come up with a practical design for a SG KD target that doesn't have some part of the supporting structure oriented in such a way as to potentially cause some splatter.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Up here in New Brunswick Canada we don't have much splashback from our shotgun targets. While on the line, as the shooter, I've never been hit when using the shotgun. (YET) Our knockdown shotgun targets are 8 to 11 yards away. Most of us use number 7 to 9 target loads.

Hi there Kajun. There are 5 of us to keep our eyes on Frenchy! Hope you can come visit the Range Riders again some time. By the way, my Rossi hasn't been the same since you "tried" to use it!

0C or 32F here today with snow showers. Last shoot coming up on Nov. 29. Can you make it???

Joe Boot

PS Fillmore, I like the "Shadow" image.

Archived