SASS Wire Forum

Windage adjustment on a SAA

rusty barrels

Can a person with a little bit of knowledge adjust the windage on a saa colt and a colt clone. I have a colt 3rd gen and a peitta that shoot to the left 8" to 12" at 25 yards and would like them to do better. I can actually see the sights are canted a little bit to the right when looking down the barrel. I did have a colt that did the same thing but was covered by their warranty but it still cost me a 100 dollars to ship it to them thru ups. I just bought the peitta new not long ago so it might be covered but the colt isn't (bought it used) but still theres the shipping. So I've been thinking about doing it myself by getting a frame block ($100 and a barrel block for $40). Is there something else I should be aware of before attempting it.

Have another known shooter try them to be sure it ain't you flinch'n.

I would contact Colt and have some targets ready.

DO NOT tell any gun maker your using 'reloads'---

FWIW: My two OMV .44's were shot'n about 5" left at 50'. Sent them both back to Ruger. Came back dead-on and only had to 'adjust'(file)the front sight down some to tweak the elevation.

Have Colt send you the shippers-OR ship via your FFL.

OLG

Usually to adjust windage the barrel is turned slightly.

To move the POI right the barrel is screwed into the frame causing the front sight to move left.

Depending on how far the barrel will need to be tightened the shoulder on the barrel may need to be trimmed and the cylinder gap readjusted.

Be very careful when loosening or tightening the barrel. The frame must be supported so that it is not warped when tightening or loosening the barrel.

If you don't know how to do it your better off having a gunsmith that knows what he's doing tweak the barrel.

I have a colt 3rd gen and a peitta that shoot to the left 8" to 12" at 25 yards

I believe the SAA is not the issue but the way you are holding it when you squeeze the trigger- Thumbing or too much Trigger finger

correction_chart-lefthanded.gif

I will agree with OLG and John Boy here, another way to verify it is the gun is to swap hands. Try shooting lefty with the gun at issue, cause most flinch for right handed shooters is to the left and down. I would pay someone with revolver experience to turn the bbl if it truly needs to be done.

The only way to know for sure if a gun is shooting point of impact to point of aim is to shoot it from a machine rest. Some folks will tell you each shooters grip can make a difference. Sure it can, but that still has nothing to do with whether the gun will shoot to POA. It just means the shooter is doing something wrong.

The people that know the most about this are the accomplished long range handgun Silhouette shooters. These folks are shooting 100m standing and 200m prone. Many of these guys even own their own machine rest.

Its not me cause I have 4 others that shoot just fine and I can see the front is 90 degrees on them. Like I said I returned one Colt that was under warranty and it came back with the sight repaired correctly, and Colt agreed it was off.

Despite the fact that you bought the Colt used, you might consider sending it back to them for adjustment. They, or any professional gunsmith, will be able to strailghten it out. Besides, what are you going to do with the parts you buy once you've straightened out the sight?

When I got my Rugers years ago one out of four shot off center. To the left iirc. I had a couple other shooters try them and same thing so when I opened up the rear sights I did it on the range. Took a jewelry file, calipers and several targets I would take off a little to adjust the poi closer to poa. Once it shot POA I finished by removing equal amounts off each side until I had the desired amount of opening. Otherwise you have to turn the barrel. Or do both.

I would have a pro do the barrel turning as sometimes it might require machining and to be sure you don't tweek the frame out of alignment which is easy with a revolver.

For the most part you are right Tex Jones, if I bought the tools required and successfully fixed the problem they would probably not be used again (unless I got another one with that problem). Its just really expensive ($110) to send it back and pay the cost of the fix, not to mention the wait. I'm still going to see if there is a certified ( some people chuckle when I asked them that) gunsmith in my area that can do what needs to be done to fix it ,also I am going to reread the book by Jerry Kuhnhausen on Colt single action revolvers shop manual,volumes 1&2 to see if it is something I really feel confident in doing.

Rusty, Depending how fart left it shoots, Ya can always

take some off of the right side of the rear sight to bring

it into POA, I use to do it all the time when I was working,

if ya don't trust yourself get a competent Gunsmith to do

it, Jim Bowie is a good one in Santa Anna Cal., Good luck

hope it all works out for ya, God Bless.

West Fargo SASS #1910, Life.......

Have another known shooter try them to be sure it ain't you flinch'n.

I would contact Colt and have some targets ready.

DO NOT tell any gun maker your using 'reloads'---

FWIW: My two OMV .44's were shot'n about 5" left at 50'. Sent them both back to Ruger. Came back dead-on and only had to 'adjust'(file)the front sight down some to tweak the elevation.

Have Colt send you the shippers-OR ship via your FFL.

OLG

YES... If you do ship the weapon back to Colt, have a local FFL do it. He will probably ship via US Postal Service; about $15 + insurance and his service charge. As stated, a good and competent gunsmith can turn the barrel on its threads a fraction without harming the weapon. Wouldn't hurt to have it inspected locally, anyway. If you simply can't find a local you trust it to, I believe PISCO Gunsmithing out of Coquille Oregon is a Colt Authorized Service Center...find'em Online. Might try Colt first, though; might be free a ride, both ways; never know.

The only way to know for sure if a gun is shooting point of impact to point of aim is to shoot it from a machine rest. Some folks will tell you each shooters grip can make a difference. Sure it can, but that still has nothing to do with whether the gun will shoot to POA. It just means the shooter is doing something wrong.

The people that know the most about this are the accomplished long range handgun Silhouette shooters. These folks are shooting 100m standing and 200m prone. Many of these guys even own their own machine rest.

I thought my two Rugers' sights were off, until I shot them from a pistol rest and found them to be dead on the money at 25 yards, meaning the problem was on MY end. I've since corrected that problem.

Archived