SASS Wire Forum

.358 lead bullets in 9MM Safe to shoot ?

Dee Mak Jack, SASS #55905

Mistakenly I recently loaded 100 rounds for my 9MM using lead bullets sized to .358 I know that .356 is correct dia but am wondering if these rounds will be safe to shoot. They were run through a Lee final crimp die for 9mm They are loaded to med velocity. I think ok but what say you ? Thanks

Will they fit in a cartridge gauge?

A gauge will not only identify diameter problems, but it will pick up the occasional uncrimped round and split case.

I now gauge every round; cheap insurance.

Right weight for what you thought you were loading? If same weight, just oversized, probably OK without too much worry.

Shape which will feed well?

Barrel is not a Glock barrel that is disapproved for lead bullets?

If you can pass that check list, not too many worries. Be sure to check first few fired for excessive pressure signs. (If you can't spot excessive pressure, why are you handloading?)

Typically, swaging a bullet down an extra 2 thousandths in front of moderate pressure loads is not a big deal.

100 is not "too many to pull," you know, in case you have some serious concerns. I would not be surprised if several will not fully chamber due to excessive case diameter at the mouth. You can remove your barrel from gun and drop-check the loaded ammo.....

Good luck, GJ

I shoot .358 diameter boolits that I cast in my 9mm Sig all the time, BUT it slugs at .357, so they work perfect. If you bore diameter is .357, go for it. YMMV

BD

.356 is the usual "correct" diameter for jacketed bullets. I run .358 through most of my nines, but I cast my own and I know they are not overly hard and I have guns with quality barrels. Yours are "probably" OK but more info would help. Which brand bullets, gun, do they fit the chamber OK. What is the slugged groove diameter of the barrel.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk that has both a 9 mm and .357 cylinder. The .358 bullet works fine in both cylinders. I haven't tried the lead .358 in my Glocks yet because 9 mm is still pretty cheap and I don't reload it much for as little as I shoot it.

I have a Ruger Blackhawk that has both a 9 mm and .357 cylinder. The .358 bullet works fine in both cylinders. I haven't tried the lead .358 in my Glocks yet because 9 mm is still pretty cheap and I don't reload it much for as little as I shoot it.

Don't shoot lead in a Glock barrel. I tried years ago and could not keep them on the paper. And Glock will void your warranty. Dillon carries Wolff barrels designed for lead bullets for 100$ to replace your Glock barrel. I have 1 in 40 and it works well and is very accurate.

"They were run through a Lee final crimp die for 9mm"

If you mean a Lee Factory Crimp Die, you most likely resized your bullets as the rounds were crimped.

TR

Jackson,

You are correct, I have an after market barrel for my .40 S&W Glock 22 and it does fine with lead bullets. I have never fired lead bullets through any of my 3 Glock 9mm pistols with original barrels.

Archived