SASS Wire Forum

VIBRATING TUMBLERS

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

I have now fried 2 vibrating tumblers. 1 a lyman and 1 a dillon. Before I bought a new one I thought I would ask here, what has everyone else found that will last? thanks!

RCBS. I've got one from 2005 and it cleaned 20K rounds a year for the last 9 years.

That said, every manufacturer probably is using (at least a) motor from China. That will probably be what goes out. Given most of their factories' quality control bites (still), it will always be a crap-shoot. China's QC is about like Japan's was in the 1960s.

Good luck, GJ

And set your cleaner outside. Why would anyone want to breathe the tumbler dust?

The Cabela's brand I bought in 2006 is still working.

RR

The one I bought in 2000 just died. Thumbler's Tumbler is now on the bench and appears to be well built. Sure runs quiet. I use liquid car wax and a dryer sheet to keep the dust down. I'll let you know in a few years how it's going.

CR

The one I bought in 2000 just died. Thumbler's Tumbler is now on the bench and appears to be well built. Sure runs quiet. I use liquid car wax and a dryer sheet to keep the dust down. I'll let you know in a few years how it's going.

CR

I thought you only wet tumbled in the rotary tumblers. ?????

Never Mind I see they also make Vibratory tumblers. Up until I looked I had only seen rotary tumblers from them.

As others have noted, the vibrators made years ago had very good motors that latest for decades.

Now they are made in Mexico and China, etc. The quality varies widely so some last a year or two and some much longer.

That is why Dillon no longer guarantees them like they once did. Couldn't afford it due to the volume of returns.

One of mine is 20 years old - a Lyman and one a Franklin Arsenal I bout about 8 years ago. Been fortunate with both.

Many shooters are now buying what they can get the cheapest (Harbor Freight, etc) figuring they will have to replace it in a relatively short time.

RCBS tries to keep up quality, so ask them as well.

I had a Frankford Arsenal that lasted about 2 years (motor), then I bought an RCBS, got about 5 years out of it before the plastic broke out where the motor bolted in. Now I have a Frankenstein, RCBS motor bolted to a Frankford Arsenal housing. Hopefully I'll get a few years out of this.

Randy

you can fix your Dillon vibrator for under $7!!!! and usually $3.50! It is the upper bearing that wears out,,,, yu have a motor that wud run forever if it wasn't for the unbalanced bar stock attached to it to create the vibrations!!!

if you have an electric motor repair shop in your area, take the motor apart, take the end off by the unbalanced stock screwed on the shaft, that will expose the bearing that goes bad, take it and let them match it up for you,,, put it in, and you're off and running again!!

you can fix your Dillon vibrator for under $7!!!! and usually $3.50! It is the upper bearing that wears out,,,, yu have a motor that wud run forever if it wasn't for the unbalanced bar stock attached to it to create the vibrations!!!

if you have an electric motor repair shop in your area, take the motor apart, take the end off by the unbalanced stock screwed on the shaft, that will expose the bearing that goes bad, take it and let them match it up for you,,, put it in, and you're off and running again!!

Thanks I will keep that fix in mind!

Bought a second hand Dillon (550 I think) from a gentleman who sent it off to Dillon when the motor blew or maybe the bearing went bad, and he paid to have them fix it. Since the smallest they now sell is the 750, that is the motor they used in the rebuild. I think he sold it to me for less than the cost to rebuild it since he had bought another to replace it in the meantime. Thing sure seems heavy for it's size, so maybe it will last, only time will tell.

I've had a Dillon 500 since I bought my 550 8 or 9 years ago. I've run thousands of pieces of brass through that and it keeps going. This summer a store here had the Frankford Arsenal one on sale for $50 so I picked up one of those. Saves time running 2 instead of just the one. I figured for $50 if it lasts half as long as my Dillon has it'll have paid for itself. And the dryer sheets not only helps cut down on dust, but it extends the life of the media too.

I've had a RCBS tumbler for about 4 years now and it's going strong. The only problem is I tightened down the top too hard and cracked it. I've got it duct taped together (1002 use for duct tape) I just bought a Franklin Arsenal tumbler at Midway for $39.95 on sale. Looks pretty good so now I have two!! One for cleaning and one for polishing??? :o Rye

As others have noted, the vibrators made years ago had very good motors that latest for decades.

Now they are made in Mexico and China, etc. The quality varies widely so some last a year or two and some much longer.

That is why Dillon no longer guarantees them like they once did. Couldn't afford it due to the volume of returns.

One of mine is 20 years old - a Lyman and one a Franklin Arsenal I bout about 8 years ago. Been fortunate with both.

Many shooters are now buying what they can get the cheapest (Harbor Freight, etc) figuring they will have to replace it in a relatively short time.

RCBS tries to keep up quality, so ask them as well.

My RCBS only lasted 5 years. And it wasn't cheap. An old Dillion I have is going strong. I bought it used and It gotta be 20 years old👍

It's going to be hit or miss with the cheaper little motors. Roll the dice😋

Regards,

Ringer

I think the ones made years ago were better than today's models. In the 20th year with my Dillon, only one I have had. :)

I got an old orange bowl unit that I think is a Lyman with a different motor now it's the larger one with the opening for daring media with the lid on the dump out the brass. The other is a RCBS or FA one that I got several years back. I'll have to look to verify what I've said since I've not been reloading lately.

Last year I had an old Midway vibrator tumbler that died on me. When I called Midway about repair on this old tumbler they told me that there had been a recall on the unit that I had and they would replace it free. I don’t remember what model it was but it had a blue bowl with a threaded post in the middle that held the bowl and the lid on. If you have one of these it might be worth you wile to check with them about replacement.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the tumbler 400 from Cabela's.... It made by Berry's manufacturing. A good product that last I knew was Made in the USA. Limited lifetime on plastic bowl.. Ect and three years on motor. Had mine for several years and running strong.

Archived