SASS Wire Forum

What Should I Buy Rotary Tumbler vs. Ultrasonic Cleaner

J.D. Daily

I am thinking of what I want to tell the misses to get me for Christmas. My two choices are: rotary tumbler & ultrasonic cleaner. I like the idea of the ultrasonic; because, it is dual use, case cleaning & gun cleaning. The Hornady Hot Tub is at least twice* the cost as a high quality high capacity rotary tumbler; however, it's capacity will accomodate pistols & a 16' AR15 upper. My question is does an utrasonic cleaner clean sooted up 45LC cases as efficiently as a rotary with SS or ceramic pins?

*Cabella's has it in Bargin Cave for $420.

I understand one has to be careful about the solution in the ultrasound. Different stuff for brass and guns - one doesn't want to take the bluing off, and one doesn't want to weaken the brass. I got a cheap one from Harbor Freight a few years ago and after reading about the various problems with solutions, I have not used it. But someone else may be able to help you.

Never had luck with the Ultrasound getting the soot off cases. Tumbler with SS will get off about anything but a lot of work compared to a vibe bowl.

I stick with ol stand by vibe with car wax ( medium swirl remover) in the media. Cases come out plenty shiny on my 45 Colt.

I have an ultrasonic...don't care for its brass cleaning...not all that great and tons of trouble. Does a great job with the proper chemicals on guns. Love it for that.

I have a rotary tumbler...never thought the expense of setting up for SS or ceramic combined with the sorting effort was worthwhile. If I had a slave that didn't eat much, I might consider it. :)

For brass; vibratory cleaner...doesn't make them look new, but works for knocking off the crud.

My ultrasonic cleaner works great for getting all of the crud out of big black powder cases. It leaves. Film on the brass that needs to be removed in a tumbler. Straight walnut shells with a it of auto polish.

For smokeless, just the tumbler is all that is required.

An ultrasonic cleaner will clean brass but not make it shiny. If you want spit shined brass, get something else. If clean but dull floats your boat, get an ultrasonic cleaner.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner but I don't give a flip about having super shiny brass. An ultrasonic cleaner is simple to use and you can either make your own cleaning fluid with a combination of water, vinegar, salt, and dish washing detergent. Or, you can a buy a commercial cleaner to add to the water in the cleaner. Both work.

Vibratory cleaner for me. Use walnut media, a dash of car polish and a splash of mineral spirits. Perfectly clean brass. I use an old light timer set for 4 hours and run it overnight. Empty the bowl into an old colander and give a couple shakes over a 5 gallon bucket to separate the media from the brass.

I do use an ultrasonic for gun parts. Works great after fitting new parts, doing action work or that semiannual deep cleaning.

IMHO the Rebel 17 wet tumbler with ceramic media is a little more work than a vibratory dry brass cleaner. The results however are very clean shiny brass. Once you get the hang of using the wet media and how to drain and dry the brass the results are well worth the extra effort. YMMV. Mrs. Lose is getting me the ultrasonic cleaner next month and that will be used for cleaning guns and parts, I believe she wants to get me the six liter model.

Been using all three for a while. Rotary with ss pins and cleaning solution with little Lemishine works great on brass, the really dirty stuff. (3 hour run time)

Vibe with walnut shells, good for most brass with a touch of car wax added. (3 hour run time)

Ultrasonic, Ok for brass but better for cleaning gun parts, stainless guns. I can put the entire trigger group from a model 12 or 97 in it and give it a rinse soak with marvel oil and good to go. I actually give both Rugers a bath every once and a while, (grips off and springs removed) (20 minutes at 120 temp)

Most of the time the vibe and wallnut shells get the brass cleaning duties. The rinse and drain part of the rotary is a bother if you don't have access to a utility sink that can handle a 5 gallon bucket. If I had the right sink set-up I'd be using the rotary all the time for brass.

I use a RCBS Ultrasonic case cleaner and a RCBS Vibe case cleaner...brass comes out brand new!! The brass was not getting that clean inside with just the Vibe cleaner...so I "soak" the brass in the ultrasonic for about 20-30minutes...when that is done...I just dump the brass into the vibe cleaner...add some Flitz polish and turn it on...come back in a few hours..and brand new!! Makes reloading a lot nicer...to see the powder charge in shiny brass!!! Make sure you de-primer the brass before using the ultrasonic...as primer will trap some moisture..especially if your not putting them into a vibe cleaner right away.

If you were looking at Cabela's bargain cave for $420... you can go to Sportsman Warehouse and get both ultrasonic cleaner and the vibe case cleaner for right around $225.00!! save some money to buy other goodies!!!

Dot bother with Ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning brass. I was never happy with the outcome. I went to this using SS pins and it works great! Get the Cadilac Tumbler called the Rebel 17. >>> http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I recently ordered the Frankford Arsenal Rotary off Amazon.com. I use Dawn dishwashing soap and Lemi Shine with the stainless steel pins. I will never go back to the vibratory dry media cleaner. I no longer bother to put my brass in soapy water at matches (black powder) because the rotary cleaner makes them look like new even when they have set for days. The dust from the dry media was bothering me so it's good to be rid of that. Check out Captain Baylor's excellent article in the August Cowboy Chronicle. It's a great how-to on this system. I am lucky that I have a 50 gal. sink in my garage. I just set my Dillon dry media separator in the sink and turn the handle while spraying water over the brass. Good luck on your choice.

I wouldn't try to clean cases with an ultrasonic. If you already have a good working vibratory cleaner, keep it and get the ultrasonic cleaner for gun cleaning.

That said, we recently started using the rotary tumbler with the dry walnut media for case cleaning. Even though the vibratory cleaner can do the job a little faster, the tumbler holds a lot more cases and importantly is much quieter. At least the sound is more pleasant and doesn't down out conversation in the room. I've heard a lot of people say the dry media doesn't work well enough in the rotary tumblers, but after seeing a friends results we switched. It's great.

Wet tumbling is a horrible mess and time consuming. If you are cleaning a lot of brass for cowboy matches, don't bother. I can't see going to the trouble unless you are cleaning brass for long range and want everything squeaky clean. That's IMHO. I know some folks love super clean brass inside and out.

Wet tumbling is a horrible mess? Ah no... you just need the proper equipment and a nice utility sink helps too. I go from opening the lid of the tumbler to drying my nice clean brass on a large towel in about 8 to 10 minutes. It's all about your cleaning routine. Best part of it is your not breathing media dust contaminated with lead and spreading it all over the place..

Hi use a ultra sonic with hot water and dish soap for my ROAs and a vibratory with tuff nut media for my brass. I think I used the U.S. for bp brass a time or two then in the vibratory to shine them up. But most of the time I wash the bp when I get home and then dry and throw in the vibratory later.

Wet tumbling is a horrible mess? Ah no... you just need the proper equipment and a nice utility sink helps too. I go from opening the lid of the tumbler to drying my nice clean brass on a large towel in about 8 to 10 minutes. It's all about your cleaning routine. Best part of it is your not breathing media dust contaminated with lead and spreading it all over the place..

THIS, X1K---- ;)

OLG

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Rotary with SS Pins Tablespoon of Dawn Teaspoon of Lemoshine. I hour in water dry on hand built 3x3 frame with screen mesh. You'll never look back and won't be breathing the dust from a Vibratory Tumbler.

DC

I have the Rebel 17 with SS pins and I love it. I have a hard time getting guns bigger than my G26 into it tho...

Love my Rebel 17 !!!!

JHQ I mixed ss pins with ceramic media and cut my time in half. Made 'em a lot shinier and got my primer pockets clean! REAL Black Powder All the way! FLAME and SMOKE is where it's at!

I just started using birchwood Casey concentrate in my rotary with NO media of any kind! Just run for 2 to 3 hrs, pour brass in strainer over wife's sink, and quick rinse. Then I dump brass in media separator, and spin excess water out, and set the works over a heat register. Load next day.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner that i got from harbor freight, with hornady 1 shot solution. after the cases sit out overnight to dry, fine. I will post some pictures soon that way you can see how they come out. I hadn't cleaned them for the entire season, one cowboy told me my cases looked like I picked em up off the streets of Dodge City :lol: . Bearing that in mind, some of them don't come out looking fresh per say, but they come out good enough to live with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to ultrasonic cleaners. While working on my shotgun restoration project I struggled at cleaning the 130 years worth of crud built up in the action. I decided that an ultrasonic cleaner would be a far better way to go. So, after doing some YouTube research, we ran over to Harbor Freight and bougnt their two letter size unit. We get it home and the heating element wouldn't come on. We took it back yesterday and went to Graf and Sons and bought a Lyman Turbo 2500. The HF and Lyman units look identical except for the logo. We got some Simple Green at Wally-World on our way home. I was impressed. Although I had cleaned all the gunk out that I could get to and soaked with Hoppes #9, almost immediately the water turned tea color. After 8 minute cycle, the water was so dark I couldn't see the parts. I ran it two 8 minute cycles.

In my research I ran into this video that tested brass cleaning using an ultrasonic cleaner and three different baths, Lyman concentrate, Simple Green and just vinegar, soap, salt and water. The vinegar/water formula worked best by a long shot.

I have an ultrasonic and the dry media vibratory.

I use the ultrasonic for BPCR cases before they go to the vibratory and after a good soapy soak and rinse. Seems to help the media do a better job in less time.

Also use the ultrasonic on range brass and gun parts. Have to be careful, as others have said, about the solution.

Somtimes I set it up for cleaning the wife's jewelery.

That said, I will be making the switch to a rotary tumbler and SS media after the new year.

Archived