SASS Wire Forum

Removing recoil pad from a '97

Stu Booty

I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the recoil pad from a '97. Mine came from Cimmarron Firearms about 3 years ago and the stock is loose so I would like to get the pad off to tighten it up. Problem is that there doesn't seem be any screws holding the pad on. Al least, they don't show. Is the pad glued in place or is there some secret method to uncover the screw heads? I would appreciate any help I can get cause I'm stumped.

Should be two screws going through the rubber pad and onto the wood. The rubber will close up after screw driver was removed. Look for two little marks on the backside of the pad. One at towards the top and one towards the bottom. A little WD40 or any oil will help the screw driver slip into the closed up hole.

Regards,

Ringer

Should be two screws going through the rubber pad and onto the wood. The rubber will close up after screw driver was removed. Look for two little marks on the backside of the pad. One at towards the top and one towards the bottom. A little WD40 or any oil will help the screw driver slip into the closed up hole.

Regards,

Ringer

Yep. Get it out in strong light and you might be able to see the slits in the rubber. Squirt a little alcohol on the rubber first and try to spread the rubber slightly. If you still can't find the slide, use a thin, but blunt instrument, greased with something, to probe on the rubber until the slits in the rubber give way under the probe.

The Win97 stock bolt has a slotted screw head with a big slot. A long, heavy screwdriver is what you need for that.

Under good light, put your thumbs out toward the outer edge of the pad near the top (the heel), pull gently outwards on the top surface of the pad. You will see a razor slit open up in center of pad surface where the screw is installed. Oil up a #2 phillips bit screwdriver (usually is what is used) so it does not tear the pad surface, undo screw until it turns loose of the wood, Repeat near the bottom (the toe). Screws are usually in about an inch from heel and toe.

Good luck, GJ

When you get to the screw holding on the buttstock be sure you have a screwdriver that fits the head. IT IS LARGE by most peoples standards. Then make sure you have the screwdriver in the slot and not wedged between the wood and the screwhead. DO NOT put locktite on the threads. This is one screw where locktite is not your friend.

When you get to the screw holding on the buttstock be sure you have a screwdriver that fits the head. IT IS LARGE by most peoples standards. Then make sure you have the screwdriver in the slot and not wedged between the wood and the screwhead. DO NOT put locktite on the threads. This is one screw where locktite is not your friend.

Most folks use too small of a Phillips head screw driver. Even some of the smaller screws need a #2 screwdriver. Too small a head will slip and spin.

Fillmore

I guess I am confused. Some of the posts say a slotted screwdriver while others say a phillips. I am also guessing that the OP may wonder which to use as well.

I guess I am confused. Some of the posts say a slotted screwdriver while others say a phillips. I am also guessing that the OP may wonder which to use as well.

Phillips to remove the pad. Slotted for the screw that holds the butt stock on. kR

Archived